Spyderco's not legal in Canada?

There is a post in rec.knives that alludes to Spyderco's not being legal in Canada because of the Spyderco round hole. Is this true?

------------------
-Dennis

Absolutely, positively, not true. To the best of my knowledge there was an attempted bylaw for Toronto to ban one handed openers, Spyderco took the brunt because they were the most well known. However, as far as I know Spydercos and other one-handed knives are NOT illegal in Canada. I collect knives, I've bought them via dealers based in Canada, from the states, in B.C., Ontario, and Newfoundland-no problems. I'm a canuck, I collect knives, I think I know
smile.gif

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

The spderco knives are 'ambiguoulsy' illegal in Canada but not because of the round hole - being made to open by one hand by a stud or hole is legal but what is illegal is a blade that can be deployed (unfolded) by either gravity or centrifigal force. Since the one-hand opening means that the action must be loose enough to make this successful, it also usually allows for a wrist flip centrifigal force type opening to be made.

It is the knife that is able to be opened this way, due to either manufacture or to wear and tear, that makes the knife illegal, not the actual opening the knife this way...and each knife must be tested to prove the capability. To prove the knife is capable of being opened this way, a LEO or martial arts expert will be asked to demo the opening with the knife in question.

There was (is?) a clerk in a knife store (the big one ) in Jack London Square in Berkley(?) that can open any and every folder this way - his skill in Canada makes all folders illegal!

On the whole unless you are doing your speed flick opening in public and scaring people, no one is being busted for a spyderco carry...that I've heard of, anyway.

------------------
The Fighting Old Man

Sochin is correct, it's the ability to open the knife through centifical force or gravity that makes them illegal. Unfortunately, just about every knife with a heavy blade can be snapped open (I'm like that clerk, I can even make my Police snap open)therefore making all knives illegal. It's an odd law, the knife isn't illegal until it's opened illegally, yet in the right hands, all knives are illegal. But you can buy Spydercos, Emersons, BMs, and so on in knife stores across the country or buy them ove rthe internet. So obviously, the knife itself is no illegal. If you snap a knife open, you're asking for trouble. Personally, I don't know, nor have heard of any one being arrested for just carrying a Spyderco or similar knife. The law is rather vague, but because there hasn't been any real incidents no one here has tried to clarify the law. The fear is that if knife owners start to make a noise about clarity, all of these knives may be banned. Hence, no one wants to kick up a stink about it unless they really have to. So far, it hasn't been a problem, so we're stuck with ambiguity. The best advice I can give is don't worry about it, but don't be silly either-don't snap it open, and if you have to show it to police/security/etc. use both hands to open it.

------------------
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

My home state of Texas has (had?) the same law.

As well as a law against carrying "Bowie" knives. There is no legal definition to "Bowie" on the books. I guess as long as you label/market your knives as anything but Bowies, you are ok.

Actually, there have been at least two incidents involving custom knife makers, that I'm aware of, where there was a problem with the police because folders could be opened as described. Each incident was resolved in favour of the citizens because, properly adjusted and used, they were not to be opened that way. However, the area is grey and the potential hassle is great. Noone really wants to be a test case.

Soon the only thing that will be legal is a 1.5" Opinel.

Probably all an evil plot by the Frenchies.

------------------
"A man has got to know his limitations." - Harry Calahan

John 14:6

[This message has been edited by Dry Heat (edited 20 October 1999).]

IMO these suck ass politicos have WAAAAAAAY to much free time on their hands to be dreaming up these ridiculous laws. Maybe they could actually start WORKING for a living, that would be a good start...

------------------
Attila

Hell, i am a lucky guy living in good old germany where it is legal to carry autos, gravitys, bowies, even swords as long as you don't stabb them into somone! Unfortunately the politios are essentially the same all over the world and maybe some day someone wants to "learn" something from the "political knife culture" of the other side of the pond. Ath the very end i see us spread our butter with spoons, because even forks will be banned.

Achim

By the way, maybe as a european i am to dumb, but can someone (a canadian politician maybe?) explain me what is the difference between
a) open a knife with two hands to cut rope
b) open a knife with one hand to cut rope and
c) flip a knife open to cut rope?

Thanks,
Achim

Achim,

I'm not in Canada & certainly not a politician but I think I can answer your question. First, you are not dumb. Your questions are right on point -- there is, of course, no real difference.

I believe the real issue is twofold: that of "perceptual reality" combined with politicians' universal needs to remain in the public eye. When anything is perceived to be a threat to "public safety", politicians trip over each other in an effort to be the first to champion some form of new restrictive legislation. The next election is never far from their thoughts.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

Achim, I'm Canadian and this is the difference as far as the criminal code is concerned (paraphrased): Switchblades, bali-songs, gravity blades, blades that open through centrifical force, and any kind of knife that opens through a spring, or via a button on the hanlde is illegal. It's not that one-handed knives are illegal, it's the fact that the heavy blades and adjustable pivot pins allows one to "snap" them open. Technically putting them in the same catagory as a centirifically opened or gravity blade. The fact that they can be opened one handed doesn't make them illegal, it's HOW it's opened one handed. You think it's stupid? I live here!

------------------
John Milton

Achim W:
I believe that most of the restrictionbs in Canadian law about weapons have arrisen from the Canadian Council of Police Chiefs who are trying to create a culture that is safer for their officers. the concealability of the small folder combined with the stealth and speed of the the flick opening can put the bad guy right in your face before a weapon is deployed and, as Animal likes to say, "Then your ass is mine!" The anti-knife laws are not driven by the same anti-gun feelings of the ordinary Canadian, but by the concerns of the police over their safety...so I support them and carry my spyderco discretely!

------------------
The Fighting Old Man

It's not very often that I see someone that appreciates the police. I am very thankful.

------------------
-Dennis

If I properly recall the post in rec.knives, that was the start of this thread, it referred to Canadien police hassling dealers, not citizens. The poster said that Spyderco's were specifically targeted.

------------------
Live free and buy. It's the American way.

I love police. I love liberty more. With all respect to brave men and women, a society 100% safe for LEOs would have no weapons in private hands.

A free state is a risky state. The answer get registered and vote for politicians who stand for limited goverment. Getting mad doestn't help. JMO

seems that back in the 80's in california when everyone was carying balisongs of one variety or another, there was a similar grey area.

if i remember correctly, the proper answer when questioned about the knife in question was "why yes sir, its a folding lock back knife (proceed to open with TWO hands, lock and present butt first for inspection) i never had to test the theory, but the idea was they were a problem by method of oponing. same thing, no?

now where has cali regulation gone? giant folders are ok, but a fixed blade is a no no?

rules are a funny thing.

knives dont cut people, people cut people.

------------------
'Till next time,
Rich the kite guy

Our current lot of professional liars (a.k.a. politicians) here in Canada are doing all they can to (1) register and (2) confiscate guns, without compensation. You can still buy Spyderco knives, though. the preferred Canadian counter to a knife attack, as practiced by our Prime Minister, Jean Chretien (that's 'Cretin' in English) is to defend yourself with a small soapstove carving (preferably owned by the taxpayers). The museum piece, on loan from the national art collection, was all he had when a knife-wielding psychotic broke into his residence a couple of years ago while the bodyguards were down at the doughnut shop, or somewhere. Fortunately for him, his wife confronted the nut case first. I personally favor registering all soapstone carvings.

Rich,
I agree with you in theory. I would be careful about opening a folder while being in the presence of a LEO asking about the knife. I think that would be seen as a possible threat. It would totally depend on the situation, but currently most officers seem to be "on guard" at all times. I was pulled over for speeding last year and the Trooper walked up to my window with holster unsnapped and hand on weapon.

Paul

Back