Stellite Alloy Fusion-- SharpFusion Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike. Man, I love that fusion of the stellite with the other steel. That is so cool. I can't wait to get one of these babies. You have mail!
michael :D

Mike
Fantastic!

What are the corrosion properties of the blade with the lamanet on the stellite?
Will it rust?

Mike in the past many companies have bonded two different types of steel. The automotive industry has used this process on valve componets to increase the wear.And the bandsaw Mfs make a Bi-metal saw blade. As I look at your photos I see the bond line or interface between the two materials are not straight.My question is,
are you EB or electron beam welding the two alloys.

Darrell Lewis
Dlewis@bodycote-na.com

Well being that I am using the process on my knives I think I can speak for Mike in saying that we are not ready to disclose the details of the process.The info you found Rob is very probable.That is all I will say.It is hard to even think today with all the events.I can tell you that Rust is not an issue.I think it would be premature to disclose any details on the Electron Beam......

oops.

Mike and Brad,
I'm glad to see this process is working for you! I've worked with applying powdered stellite at several manufacturing jobs over the past 10 or so years. My experience involves spraying the powder with a specialized oxy/acetylene gun to create bearing surfaces, usually on round material. Once the stellite is applied, it's then ground to high tolerances for a tough, precision bearing surface.
About 3 or 4 years ago, I applied it to several pieces of A2 and ground blades from them. My results were not NEARLY as good as yours!! The edges turned out very brittle and I quickly GAVE UP!! I think I recall disussing this as some length with Rob Simonich when I first ordered Talonite from him??
I have also made "masking sheilds" to control the spray and application on flat pieces. I've also developed machining process to work with the material in addition to grinding it.
I would be glad to share any information or experience that may be of help to you.

Neil

Mike you are radical. You seem to always have something new up your sleeve. That is going to be a big hit for sure. Michelle said you were intense when someone questioned her at the show, she said that it works well for you. Keep the pictures coming buddy.

Derek

Hey Neil,

I had planned on posting yesterday but in light of what has happened in America it really seemed somewhat insignificant.

Many variables must be taken into account and addressed.
Preheat, postheat/stress relief and cooling rates are critical.
Alloy and base metal selections and compatibility are critical as diffusion between the two occurs.
Heat input, deposition rates, etc must also be taken into account.

There are too many variables for me to try to get real specific about SharpFusion at this point. My initial post was meant to be of an introductory and generic nature. I wanted to share this with you guys before anything hit the market.

Brad and I will be working with about a dozen different alloys and substrates. Each of these combinations will exhibit different mechanical properties.

Darrel, the substrate alloy that I will be using for my fixed blades is completely corrosion proof, non magnetic and non ferrous.
It exhibits great ductility and very good rigidity.

I work as a independent metallurgical consultant, AWS Certified Welding Educator, AWS Certified Welding Inspector, API Certified 570 and 653 Inspector as well as a NACE Coating inspector and QA, QC consultant for the largest oil company in the world. I have also been ASME certified in just about every fusion process out there. That is all I have done for the last 20 years. This has afforded me a great deal of insight into various fusion methods.

There are basically three criteria that must be met.
1. Cost effectiveness
2. The positive mechanical attributes of the alloy cutting edge must not be diminished (directly or indirectly) as a result of the fusion process.
3. The fusion zone must meet or exceed the strength of the weaker of the two materials joined.

Here is another image of a SharpFusion Overlord. This is a Stellite/high chromium hybrid. The blade was bent to 180 degrees with no cracking or damage to the substrate or cutting edge. I then attempted to completely beat the radius out of the 180 bend with a sledgehammer. It was at this point that the cutting edge exhibited an independent transverse crack.

Regards,
Mike Snody

My email has been screwed up for a while. I recently lost 270 unread messages. I am trying to recover them. If I have not responded to anyone that is probably why.

Thanks, Keith and Derek. There is something else right around the corner. It will take cutlery into unchartered territory.

I work as a independent metallurgical consultant, AWS Certified Welding Educator, AWS Certified Welding Inspector, API Certified 570 and 653 Inspector as well as a NACE Coating inspector and QA, QC consultant for the largest oil company in the world. I have also been ASME certified in just about every fusion process out there. That is all I have done for the last 20 years. This has afforded me a great deal of insight into various fusion methods.

gee all i done for the past 20 is make knives
i r a welder too
harley
www.lonesomepineknives.com

Thanks for your contribution to this thread Mr. Harley.

When I started this thread several days ago I knew that without a doubt, some genius would challenge the process, myself or both.

Every time something that goes against the mainstream is introduced into knifemaking it is challenged by, you guessed it “some genius”.

I am very familiar with your type of mentality Mr. Harley as I deal with it on a daily basis.

My customers are very important to me Larry and they deserve and demand to know exactly what they are spending their money on.

When they buy a SharpFusion knife they are getting a blade, which was made by an individual who has twenty years experience in the field. Not some idiot with a coat hanger and oxy/acetylene torch.

When they go to a show and a Genius speaks negatively of SharpFusion they will ask the Genius exactly what his qualifications are. The Genius will of course have no solid credentials and that will be the end of that.

In closing let me thank you once again for your comments.
You see Larry this is the very reason I listed my credentials. Not to try and impress you or anyone else. It is to combat the ignorance that your post has just demonstrated.

I will present the knifeworld with cold hard facts regarding SharpFusion. One of the key facts is that I have been engaged in similar processes on a much larger and more demanding scale for the past twenty years.

When someone speaks in a negative manner about SharpFusion ask for his or her credentials.
If they provide you with solid credentials listen to what they have to say. If they cannot provide you with credentials or facts then they are an idiot. Or should I say Genius.

This is not my first rodeo Mr. Harley.

If you want take cheap shots at me I am very easy to find.
You can call me, email me or visit my table at anyone of the Shows I attend.

Regards,
Mike Snody

I have to say Harley,Nothing against you or your 20 years in the knife making buisness.A person from outside of the buisness that has not done it a couple of decades and can have a vast amount of experience that you probley will never see.This means being very experienced in ALL aspects of Manufacturing and Finding ways to make things better.Some one in you shoes might only see things one way and that is from years and years of doing what you know.Well now it is time for new ways of doing things and putting more thought into something rather then following only what you see in front of you.We are just at the tip of the Ice Berg.I have to say that being a Machinist for 15 years prior to knife making I see things totally different from most makers in the market.I think that other Machinist/knifemakers can say that they see thing a little different as well.I think that Me and Mikes experience in manufacturing,and all aspects of quality control give us a more solid foudation to move much more rapidley up the knifemaking ladder.It was not my intention to go to school in 88 for AutoCad to be a knifemaker,nor did I become a machinist to be a knifemaker.These are things I learned to make me better at what I do .It does not matter what I make.I will make it the best I can and all my years of experience in many different aspects of life will make a better product and bring new things into this industry.Mike just wanted people to fell secure that he knows what he is talking about and would not want to introduce a product that was not tested in a professional Way.So pop shots are what they are and in the end we know who will come out on top.

Yes,I have to say my spelling is lacking.That is why I wasn't a teacher.;)

Mike that temper line adds tremendous character and this new edge is exciting. This sounds like it will be great news to the knifeworld. The only pop shots I am going to take will be at Brad's spelling. :) But as long as he gets his name right on my knife, that is not a concern. Keep up the great work Mike!
Shane

For a long time now, I have been wondering what will be the next most exciting metal for blades.

Gentlemen, it looks like you may have hit the jackpot. Congratulations.

I have been reading about your experiments and success story with great interest.

I am sure SharpFusion will be one of the most exciting breakthroughs in the knifeworld.

Again, congratulations Mike, Brad.

Mike and Brad,

I am extremely excited about this new fused blade material as well.

This is the kind of forward thinking and pushing of the performance envelope that we need to encourage in custom knifemaking. If you would like me to perform my usual battery of real world performance and cutting tests on one of these knives and give you feedback and possibly write a review article about it, I would be honored.

Congratulations:)

Mario

Mike, I can attest to the fact that Mario (aka Gaucho) really knows how to abuse a knife in real world conditions that reflect meaningful and useful feelback. He has tested virtually all my tactical designs, and provided much helpful guidance to my efforts, and I've gathered useful data from every series of tests he's performed. If you want to send a knife into harm's way to absolutely test its metal, send it to Mario.

Thank you Jerry:). That's very kind of you to say. I've been honored to play a small part in the evolution of your fantastic designs.

Mario

Sounds VERY exciting - keep up the good work.

The interesting part is - what are the problems of this new wonder steel? Is it only price and time??

or are there other down sides to it too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back