Stellite Alloy Fusion-- SharpFusion Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is incredibly interesting to me probably because in my professional life, I'm a patent lawyer, (yes I'm a liberal too (but that's another story) -- a liberal lawyer knife-lover, how's that for mixed up?), and truly love technology and new innovations. I'm no expert but here's why this technology appeals to me.

The potential for a high-durability, and very sharp (if not sharper), cutting edge, but without the brittleness and staining (rust) potential associated with high-carbon steels. It seems to me that if I have to sharpen less because of improved durability, I can probably live with a somewhat more difficult sharpening process; indeed, it is my understanding that harder, sharper, conventional high-carbon steels are also more difficult to sharpen.

The lovely parallel between the conventional temper line and "alloy band" at the cutting edge. To my way of thinking, this is a technology that both compliments and acknowledges the time-tested, differential heat treating technology. Both technologies seem to share the purpose of a harder, more durable cutting edge, without sacrificing different desirable qualities in the blade body. Both rely on a higher carbide content cutting edge. And both provide a visible indication of the difference.

I do still love the old; I have a Big John Fisk 1084 steel knife and cannot believe how sharp it is! And I have on order two (uh, actually three) knives with visible temper lines. Nevertheless, this new technology seems like really neat stuff to me.

Kudos to Mike and Brad!

Bless You Mr. Plasmaphase. I can now bow out of this thread knowing that my message has gotten through.

Damn you Jerry. I nearly swallowed my chewing tobacco laughing when I read your post. You make me homesick talking about Hot Taps.
I have done hundreds but one sticks in my mind above all others.

It was on a big inch H2s transmission line that ran underneath a small elementary school down by the border.

I dont know what is more dangerous Hot Taps or posting on the Forums.

Some people you just cant reach I had one a couple of weeks ago that sandblasted his leg to the bone.

He was running off a 1600 CFM compressor with a three inch hose.

He decided to take the dead man off his nozzle because his hand was sore. He sat on the dead man and started blasting.
You can probably figure out the rest of the story.

One last photo of a SharpFusion TM Overlord Hybrid I ground today.
This is a different alloy.

Adios.
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

Well Mike, I was never there when a hot tap was done but I made a bunch of money on one that went bad! (Had a water tanker in the oilpatch, Wyoming, early 80's) :D

Plasmaphase, I am so sorry! Come see me in Montana and I will see if I can convert that liberalism into something usefull! :D Ill have you all better in no time! You cant be too bad if you like sharp stuff!

Here is another lawyer who loves knives...

And also is a liberal...but one that does not apologize for always carrying...a gun/knife combo...

Mike that blade looks spectacular! It is completely different from the one you had at the show. Reading your work related stories is giving me an idea why you have 'da look' Sniperboy posted about. I am taken back by how different this hybrid looks from the one at the show. Keep up the amazing metal work Mike!

Shane

I think the SharpFusion techknowledgy is very interesting. By way of credentials I am trained as a Nuclear Engineer by degrees with graduate work and study in metalurgy. Generally my experience with Stellite is that because of its wear resistance, Stellite is used as a facing material on steel alloys which have much better resistance to stress. As I previously stated turbine blades have stellite facings to reduce wear but the blade must be an alloy for stress resistance. If a blade's primary use is for cutting than I don't know if the process makes any difference i.e just a Stellite blade, but if you are going to pry or bend the blade than SharpFusion could offer an excellent blade. I have read all the posts but don't believe that I have learned what application problem the process is designed to solve. I would like to know what the intent of the SharpFusion process is for a knife blade rather than the details of the process.- Dick

I have read your posts before on the forums and they are always the same. You jump in with a smart-ass comment or two and then you leave

(.i,m sorry if i come off as a smart ass in most of my post i don,t mean it that way.i use the forums as a way to relax after a hard day of makeing knives.i try to point out the obvious and most of the time thats something that strikes me as funny or comical. By the time i set down here i,ve worked out twice and used a 10 lb hammer for the 8 hrs betweeni,m looking for a knife fix and a entertainment.)

Out of the 75 posts I have made, how many of them were smart-ass comments that contributed nothing to the topic? Zero.

(boy when i grow up i want to be as perfect as u r mike)

Defensive? Hell yeah. Quick trigger? I am your man Larry.

(be careful when u r too defensive it represents a deep rooted psychological problem, and
if your too quick on the trigger u can either miss or shoot something that don,t need shot)

I did not start this Larry, you did.
(oh yes u did)

I did not call you anything Larry, read my post again.
I stated that your post was ignorant. I stand by that.

I stated that I am familiar with your mentality. I am.
I have 75 welders on my jobsite that answer to me.

(i could tell from the tone and childesh defensive way of your post that your not really used to being challenged u simple fire any challenge that comes your way)

They can weld a broken heart, crack of dawn and just about anything else too.

They also believe that my credentials are silly.

(i don,t believe yoiur credentials r sill only the way u were pandering to the crowd)

20 years ago I was one of them, working offshore on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico as a welder.
20 years ago I also thought credentials were silly.
That is the mentality I am referring to Larry.

I have been a knifemaker for two years. This information is on my website. Does that threaten you in some way?

(yea right. i havent slept well for the past 24 mos.LOL)

My backlog is currently well over a year. I am not taking orders for SharpFizzle knives or anything else.
The forums have been good to me Larry.

(thats because u have no compunction about unabashed pandering here. thats what your initial post was really about, a thinely vailed attempt at pandering to the folks here on forums. unfortuniatley
u come off as an EXPERT and theres poor soules gulliable enough to believe that u r)

I have made many good friends. I felt like telling them about SharpFizzle before they read about it in the magazines.

I have paid my dues

( u have paid NO dues in this business. here dues r never stoped being paid.
only the price and mode of payment changes)

Larry as a hand on drilling rigs in South Texas and a rig welder on cross country pipelines in Southern California and 20 other states. It was only after years of going to night school and tens of thousands of dollars in certifications that I was able to get where I am today.

(where did u get the degree from?? is it a b.s. or m.s.)

You may have the wrong man here Larry.

In my world I am challenged on a daily basis. I respond to the challenges without hesitation, which is the way it has to be.
You challenged me Larry and I responded.

(i never challenged u in any way big boy!!!!
but heres one for u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u can either stay on the porch and shut up or run w the big dogs
bring one of your SHARPFIZZLE blades to the fall hammerin in ark and u can enter the cutting competion
oct 27.. 28
there u will have the oppertunity to show up all us ol dumb, thinkn inside the box , knifemakers ;that have done nothing but make knives for the past 20 yrs what a waste of time it was
we should have all been some where else and
to quote brad " A person from outside of the buisness that has not done it a couple of decades and can have a vast amount of experience that you probley will never see.This means being very experienced in ALL aspects of Manufacturing ")

If you were on my project you would be a G.A. (gone ass)
But it is not that simple here on the forums.

( thats right u cant fire everyone and i can tell that rankles u
u r not the boss of the world. lol)

I had a welder on my job a while back that thought my credentials were silly. He also thought our safety rules were silly. He tried to cut a hole in his hard hat with a large pocketknife while it was on his head. He wanted to install headphones and listen to music. He ended up in the hospital with a cut head and missing finger. He had to put his hand under his hard hat to keep it on his head while cutting. When the knife went through it cut off his finger. He is now a G. A.
Another one somehow got his nut sack on the muffler of a large concrete saw. He passed out from the pain and stayed there until workers removed him. He sustained third degree burns and had to wear a diaper for three weeks. He is now a G.A. Another one decided to climb a 50’ tank to take a leak.
He did not know that the Osha inspector was on site. The Osha inspector walked by the tank and literally got pissed on. The guy was standing on the edge with no harness. You guessed it. G.A.

This really has nothing to do with our little talk but since we are getting to know each other I just felt compelled to share it with you. I will try to get back on topic now.

(it has a tremendous amount to do w "our little talk" it reflects your attitude and your feeling of superority over those that work for u and anyone else that don,t" think out side the box" w u
i feel sorry for them . all i got to do is not turn on the computer they on the other hand cant get away.i can tell youd love to fire me fortunately i,m not at the mercey of a pompus bombastic egomaniac.)

If someone slaps you in the face Larry what do you do?
Do you slap them back or do you double up that big ass fist of yours and knock their head off?

(when u look like me and this big , only the very drunk and mentally challenged try anything most try to kick me in the nuts so ive learned to cheat first and often and hard)

Now we can go back to talking about knives or we can go wherever you want to take this.
The choice is yours Larry.

(i like it here)

If you meant nothing by your initial post then I meant nothing by my response.

( i ment nothing by my initial post, only interjecting a little humer, but i take great offense at your response)

I enjoyed reading the article Bud Lang wrote about you Larry.
Shame we had to meet this way.

As Brad pointed out Knifemaking is changing very rapidly.
Makers of the Twenty First Century have two choices, they can “think outside of the box” and push themselves to the limit or they will end up being a G.A.
Scratching their unemployed ass with the guy who burned his nut sack

(i put stellite on 316 15 yrs ago.i was out side the box long before u ever thought about makeing knives.
it acted like stellit. hold a bad edge for a long time .kinda like D2 on steroids. but had none of the other desirable qualities one wants in a knife sure u can tie it in a knot but who wants a bent knife.
good knives have a spring back and a hard edge)

Those are the lessons for the day.

1. Don’t burn your nut sack on a muffler.
2. Don’t get complacent in your knifemaking.

(like i need lessons from u:))

There are a bunch of new makers out there that are HMT (hungry, mean and tired)
(i,m neither hungry nor tired)

I am one of them!
(yep your one alright)

The lovely parallel between the conventional temper line and "alloy band" at the cutting edge. To my way of thinking, this is a technology that both compliments and acknowledges the time-tested, differential heat treating technology. Both technologies seem to share the purpose of a harder, more durable cutting edge, without sacrificing different desirable qualities in the blade body.
budrichard

(this in no way is a temperlin and don,t tell these people that. a temperline takes skill to produce and knowledge to bring it out.
it neither compliments nor acknowledges any thing but wielding, and it scraificeses all the desirable qualities of the knife body if it don,t return to straight when flexed)

I think the SharpFusion techknowledgy is very interesting. By way of credentials I am trained as a Nuclear Engineer by degrees with graduate work and study in metalurgy. Generally my experience with Stellite is that because of its wear resistance, Stellite is used as a facing material on steel alloys which have much better resistance to stress. As I previously stated turbine blades have stellite facings to reduce wear but the blade must be an alloy for stress resistance. If a blade's primary use is for cutting than I don't know if the process makes any difference i.e just a Stellite blade, but if you are going to pry or bend the blade than SharpFusion could offer an excellent blade. I have read all the posts but don't believe that I have learned what application problem the process is designed to solve. I would like to know what the intent of the SharpFusion process is for a knife blade rather than the details of the process.- Dick

dick the intent of sharp fizzle is to make mike more money
the whole post was his attempt at pandering to the forums and sucking people into believeing that its a whoth while process

steve
make any changes u fell necessary before i send this to mike snotty

Just my openion that means nothing to any one but me. After reading your
email here is my responce to the tit and tat.
He has one little shot. Kind of reminds me of the Knife maker with great
secrets. The little bit of knowledge is so precious to them they want to
keep to them selves. Most people on the cutting edge of technology are very
centered and free with knowledge. From what I can tell from your email
this is nothing more than a well worked parlor trick. Stellite makes a fair
blade but it is hard to sharpen in the field and it will roll up like a old
cat wanting his belly rubbed when exposed to a hard surface in thin
sections. It excels as a wear surface and has good corrosion resistance. I
guess that is why it is so popular in industry but those qualities Dont
always make a good cutting edge. The proof is in public testing. If this
intellectual giant wants to prove his process let him show up at Arkansas
and prove its ability as a knife. The cutting contests are the proof. Other
wise it is just another sharp object that looks like a knife. These welded
edges have been on my lawn mower blades for years . Ed Shemp and the Montana
gang use this technology to improve the life of harvesting cutters i.e..
movers and reapers. Time is money they Don't want to resharpen the tools so
often. This concept would lead you to believe that it would help a knife.
Well it aint so. Yes stellite will cut.Remember the blade I forged from it.
But it is a real bitch to sharpen in the field. Question when was the last
time you tied your knife in a knot while skinning a hog? Stellite as a knife
is fine for a dish washer or an oil platform where rust will kill any thing
ferrous with out constant maintenance. If you want a knife that cuts
marginally well and doesn't rust and you have a handy belt grinder to
resharpen it and you want to tie it in a knot when it quits cutting these
bimetal blades are just the trick. A solid Stellite or Tallonite blade will
do the same thing just keep a diamond sharpening stone in your pocket. This
is a very viable way to make a knife it is just nothing new nor does it
exhibit qualities that would extend the use or workability of a proper
knife.
If some body really wants to know about stellite or tallonite edges have
them check out the guild directory several of the guild Knife makers have
used this material for years. They can give you performance info. But what
do I know .
I only have thirty years in the business and I am still on a learning curve.
Why Don't you just leave this old wore out down hiller alone. He may be in
a ditch welding up a sewer pipe that you are going to need one day. Steve
Schwarzer Master Bladesmith
----- Original Message -----
snotty
i have grown weary of this it will be my last post all that can happen is it spiral out of controll
see u at the bladesmith school in ark u can show me up then
harley
:)

Larry ,

Iam in no way impuning your knowledge . My question is this ," If the blade should go back straight , why are so many knives at the shows still bent after the test and the maker is bragging about how the edge didn't crack , break,chip , slip , or deflect ? Just a question , have I been lied to all these years ? Again , I can't make a knife worth a damn but I was under the impression d2 was good steel ( Bob Dozier sure makes fine cutting blades out of it ) . I too am impressed with the rope cutting at the Hammer-In , As some blades are made for certain task and others for another , I see this akin to pitting your rope knife against a finely crafted japanese wakashashi(?) of say 15 to 19 inch blade length in a matt cutting test ( I think it is called Kinto , sorry if I have the wrong name someone feel free to correct me ) . I dare say the blade with some centuries of smithing in its' design would kick some major ass . Please lets all keep our vailed threats and testosterone in check.I've seen more than one 350# big man kicked shitless by the so called little man . Just my thoughts , I am the new kid on the block but I think people should always push the envelope of their chosen field . My god when ATS34 came along , people were affended by the very idea of a jap. steel being better( hummmm. wonder what the most popular steel has been for years ). If I am wrong anywhere in this text please correct me , I am trying to learn as much as possible from the knowledge shared on these forums as I can . Bye-Bye-------------------

Regards,
Jerry Shipman

Mike buddy do not fall for this bullshit bait. Steve Schwarzer can not post for himself? He sends an email to Larry Harley? Are Larry Harley and Steve Schwarzer both in the ABS? Is this behavior condoned by that organization? If it is, I will imediately sell all of my knives that I have bought from ABS members and I will never buy another knife from any ABS member. I take that back, I will not sell them,I will give them all away to bums on the streets because they will no longer have any value if these are ABS members and this toddler rhetoric and behavior is condoned by the ABS. Snody, it is "dy" isn't it? I know that you have a years backlog, let me know when you start to take orders again pal because my money is going to you.

Shane

Jerry, from what I understand, nihonto test cutting is called tameshigeri or tameshigiri. I have seen it spelled both ways. I have also seen the mat that they are cutting called the tameshigeri, but it is actually called a tatami.

Now back to the topic being discussed.

Hey guys, some of this is amusing, but it's getting a bit out of hand.

I've admired Mike's knives and have enjoyed chatting with him at the past couple of Blade Shows.

Larry Harley is a maker of exceptional ability even if he doesn't win the Will Rogers award for diplomacy.

What say we cut the personal attacks or we just shut this one down?

(Personally, I'd like to see some of this vitriol directed at those who really deserve it, our enemies both within and without.)

Thanks.

Hey Larry,

Great Post.
Completely reinforces what the dozens of people who have emailed me about this have said.

If you want to test one of my SharpFusion TM blades why dont we test your 16 year old stellite blade against the one I made today? Just let me know.

The edge on mine is 52 rockwell, we both know what the edge on yours is dont we Larry.

You have already stated theat your edge rolls and your process failed.

You did it wrong Larry. Pretty simple.

In case anyone out there has not figured out what is going on here let me explain.

Larry Harley has emailed and called people and solicited their negative posts on this thread.

He is jealous and feels threatened by my process.

Many of them have contacted me by phone and email.

He can not stand on his own.

Fortunately, the American Welding Society has a website and does verify those who hold certifications as inspectors and educators.

I will introduce something very soon that is going to really, really upset Larry Harley and Steve Scwharzer. In fact they may not be able to stand it.

Prepare yourselfs gentlemen.

Secure the hatches because the weather is fixing to get rough.

For you that is.

Mike Snody

In pre school they used to call me Snotty too.

Okay, guys. I think we've beaten it to death.

I'm pulling the plug.

If you start a new thread, please try to keep it on point or abusive posts will be edited out.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back