Stupid Spyderco

Let me be the first to say that I love Spyderco. I respect them as a business, and I believe their products to be some of the best.
However I really disslike their new Ball Bearing Lock. I have only handled the D'Allara Rescue and found it to be very cumbersome. The lock requires both the thumb and index finger to disengage. Also, the ball bearing is sunk so far into the handle that it is only more of a pain to grab on to it. I have not handled the Dodo, but if it feels like the D'Allara then I doubt I would like it.
Am I the only one who feels this way? Is there some reason they used a hard to grip ball bearing instead of a round bar?
-KC

I never said anything about it and quietly sold mine. I thought it was just me really because I am a nail biter so I attributed the difficulty in closing it to that I guess and my big hands, because I rarely let my nails get out long enough to pick up a dime let alone reach into areas my fingers can't fit into. .

I haven't handled the D'Allara, but my DoDo is no trouble to close. I keep my nails short, too, but the tips of thumb and index press on the ball well enough to release it. It feels more secure to me than an axis lock, being less exposed and stiffer to release.

Maybe my fingers are smaller but I find both the D'Allara and the Dodo quite easy to close and I do keep my nails really short. The D'Allara easier than the Dodo even because of the size of the blade. Disengage the lock and the knife closes almost by itself.

Knifeclerk said:
Is there some reason they used a hard to grip ball bearing instead of a round bar?

Maybe a concern about infringing to some degree on Benchmade's axis lock patent? :rolleyes:

David

I don't have any problems with release, but the lock has some instability problems with the Dodo I have handled, more details can be seen in the review thread, including comments from other users with similar issues.

-Cliff

4 s ter said:
Maybe a concern about infringing to some degree on Benchmade's axis lock patent? :rolleyes:

David

I doubt that has too much to do with it. The mechanism is designed very differently from an Axis lock's omega springs. Perhaps it evades the apperance of infringing, but I'm somewhat certain that it would be completely legal. Besides, it is obviosly axis-inspired.

Anyway, I'm glad that it's not just me. I really do support Spyderco, but this just seems to be such a poor design to me.

I feel the same way. I think it is an interesting idea, but in no way practical. If they could maybe make a bigger bearing that was easier to get to..like an axis lock, it might be a better lock.

I too am a fan of spyderco, but would think some texture on the bearing would do wonders for me. If my finger and thumb are damp in any manner, I have to jam my fingers in there to even try to close it.

FYI, Spyderco is making a new/improved version of the D'Allara Rescue. Supposed to be thinner in the handles and easier to work the lock.

KnifeAddictAK said:
I too am a fan of spyderco, but would think some texture on the bearing would do wonders for me. If my finger and thumb are damp in any manner, I have to jam my fingers in there to even try to close it.

That would chew up the tang and the back bar.

Knifeclerk-"The lock requires both the thumb and index finger to disengage."

So does the Axis as well as other locks...

I agree with Plumber576, a bigger BB would be better.

underaged! said:
Knifeclerk-"The lock requires both the thumb and index finger to disengage."

So does the Axis as well as other locks...

Sorry, I can close my 710 with my thumb or index alone.

When I first handled a ball bearing lock (Dodo), I was able to open and close it without any problems; no practice at all! The lock felt secure and was very confidence inspiring. Hmmm...I want to buy a Dodo now...

Knifeclerk said:
Sorry, I can close my 710 with my thumb or index alone.

But don't you use your thumb or index to apply pressure on the handle? Otherwise, I guess you could say you can close the BB lock with the thumb alone...

I love the BB lock on my Dodo. Easy to open and close one handed and it feels very secure when locked open. However the curved blade is difficult to sharpen which is why my Dodo doesn't get carried often.

Get a Gatco Tri-Seps or a Lansky dogbone sharpener and you can touch up the DoDo's edge easily.

-"The lock requires both the thumb and index finger to disengage."
!

I usually disengage the Axis bar with my thumb only, and use my index finger to push the spine of the blade forward when closing my Axis lock knives. The blade can also be flicked closed. There's no need to use 2 fingers on the Axis bar/buttons.

Planterz said:
FYI, Spyderco is making a new/improved version of the D'Allara Rescue. Supposed to be thinner in the handles and easier to work the lock.

I got to handle the drop-point improved D'Allara at Blade. It is MUCH better than the first generation. I have the same problem with the first generation D'Allara but I have no problem with the Dodo. My hands are relatively small.

This is strange, some users just can not handle the ball lock. Others, myself included, have no problem and find it a joy. Maybe it should come with an instructional video like the Sharpmaker.

I think it is innovative and the epitome of simplicity, functionality and strength right up there with the sebbie. Now... further refined in the upcoming Poliwog.

Go Eric.

Knifeclerk said:
However I really disslike their new Ball Bearing Lock. I have only handled the D'Allara Rescue and found it to be very cumbersome. The lock requires both the thumb and index finger to disengage. Also, the ball bearing is sunk so far into the handle that it is only more of a pain to grab on to it. I have not handled the Dodo, but if it feels like the D'Allara then I doubt I would like it.
You do not own a Spyderco knife with the ball bearing lock, but you complain about it on a public forum and call Spyderco stupid. :rolleyes:

I have a D'Allara and the Dodo. I do not have any trouble unlocking either knife. My hands are extra large, I wear a size 16.5 ring. I do not have trouble unlocking the knife. Maybe I'm doing my tactical unlocking incorrectly?

Back