Stupid Spyderco

Calling Spyderco stupid, no matter what the context or apologies, is bound to raise some hackles. :)

No handle or lock or blade geometry suits everyone. I can think of two knives in particular that I really, really liked -- but they were too small for my hands, and regretfully, I had to forget about them. But that certainly didn't make the manufacturers stupid.

There is also a difference between handling a knife and owning it, using it over a period of time, and finding it grows on you. We've had people who sort of liked their axis locks, until they found out they could hold back the axis bar and wrist flick the blade open or closed -- then they loved them.

Yeah, I titled this thread as such just to be sure it would get some views. The Dodo looked like a nice knife, but I only had experiances with the D'Allara. I think that the real problem is that the handle was so thick. If that is not an issue with the Dodo: awesome. Mostly I was just looking to see if anyone else had any similar views on this particular model. I'm glad to see that Spyderco is remaking this model. It's always nice to see a company that responds so well to feedback.

I've handled the Dodo, and had little trouble with it, but that's a _thin_ handle. I don't doubt at all that the thicker FRN D'Allara's harder to close.

I'll point out, though, that I _do_ use my thumb and index finger to operate the AXIS lock on my Griptillian, and it doesn't bother me. It just seems to work more smoothly with pressure applied to both sides of the bar.

And I think the ball-bearing lock is a winner. I have complained in the past about the difficulty in opening a Sebenza (someone mentioned rubbing pencil lead-graphite to ease that problem). Opening the Dodo was easy for me on the first try. Frankly, if/when Spyderco places the ball lock on a drop point or clip point blade, I think they are going to cut into Benchmade's market. Like the Axis lock, having an ambidextorous lock that is one hand open/close is a huge advantage. Further, anything that makes linerlocks obsolete is a winner with me. The lockback will be with us in 50 years. The liner lock? we'll see.

Kref

Back