Sub-$300 Katana (2014 edition)

I don't own any, though I'd like to. The Tenchi and Kaze look nice. I think I planned on buying the Kaze once upon a time.
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I should educate myself before I express opinions on other manufacturers.

For real though, I appreciate everyone's opinion. If it came off fucked up like that, I didn't mean it too. I appreciate you, I really do. And hell, some people are knowledgeable about the market, metallurgy, martial arts, or even other swords, and don't have a katana. I like to hear from everyone. I value other people's opinions. And like I said earlier, thank you for participating. :)

I own a Ronin dojo pro "hagakure" and a cold steel warrior.

I prefer the Ronin for its balance and shape. Really a great looking blade too.
The warrior feels like a bat in comparison, but man does it cut.
The Ronin is just way more agile.

Thanks, Mack! So, CS > DP for cutting? But DP > CS overall? What are you cutting? Does it have a Bo-hi? I don't know what a "hagakure" is, they list it by model # now, so maybe you ordered one awhile back. What is the theme/tsuba design? The CS was more costly then the DP, correct? how much so? I appreciate your time, sir.

apparently if you need something broken send it to me, because I break the so called unbreakable stuff all the time

It's a model 6 dojo pro.
The cold steel has a bo-hi
The Ronin does not.

Pictures coming :)

I would like an elite for a wall hanger, but for cutting durability, the monotempered has proven more durable.
Guys that walk in to train with a folded traditional crafted katana, soon switch to monotempered to train with.

It's a model 6 dojo pro.
The cold steel has a bo-hi
The Ronin does not.

Pictures coming :)

I would like an elite for a wall hanger, but for cutting durability, the monotempered has proven more durable.
Guys that walk in to train with a folded traditional crafted katana, soon switch to monotempered to train with.

I am glad you said this. Now, I am novice as hell, but from what I gather, I thought this anyway.

I've been there. I used to train primarily with my cas Shinto and practical. And now I just want to try the majority. I primarily practice Kobujutsu though. So the sword will not get as much use from me than a normal practitioner. But I do practice tameshigiri when I can get material.

I don't know what it is, I don't intentionally try to break things. I seem to always get something from a bad batch I suppose. But I have broken a lot of the cs weapons and many other brands.
Just like the bokken the other day I barely hit a branch and it snapped.

te5avy2y.jpg

If you're going to be doing cutting, get a monotempered. If you are going to have a piece of art go traditional.

The Ronin f&f is much higher quality too. It is a substantial blade, but looks petite next to the "crowbar" ;)

" handles like a crowbar, cuts like a laser" is the description it's earned. (cold steel)

I contacted Ronin about the Elites and they seemed very brief and didn't answer all my questions.
So I'm probably not going to get one of those. I contacted HSTS and am awaiting a reply.
Skyjiro seemed to have the quicker response and friendlier and answered all of my questions.

I do like the Dojo pro we have, it's very nice. But besides pure cutting tools I like to have it in my display room, that's why I want higher grade items. If it were purely just cutting I wouldn't even buy a second sword until I needed one.

3y5anemy.jpg

The blades are quite different.

Ronin has followed the traditional shape, while cold steel took their own approach.

If I was buying a traditional made anytime soon. I'm off to Ronin elite.
But for training /cutting the dojo pro is very nice.

May want to wait until the Ronin elite 2014 batch is finished. The current stock is slim pickings.

Back