Subcom Folder Trainer?

Aloha ALL,

Made a SF Trainer awhile back by simply dulling the blade. One "problem" I had was discerning which was the trainer, and which wasn't when it came time to "play". To solve this, I painted the scale red. After surprisingly being able to come home from my normal shift in Hell the other day, I made a stop at the hardware store and grabbed another can of red spray paint and re-sprayed my SFT for pictures sake.
SFT002.jpg

SFT001.jpg

I have been getting a LOT of requests via email, and sometimes through posts, for an SF Trainer. I always thought this was a good idea, which is why I made my own. Training with the SFT (Hmmmm, does it kinda sound like "Safety" when ya say "SFT"?) is a lot of fun, and shows what a small blade can and cannot do. Cripes, getting hit by the beveled, but dulled blade doesn't even hurt! Much.:rolleyes: I was messing with my friend Billy the other day, who is an expert at escrima, and lemme tell you, I am glad I have this SFT because it is more "fun" to feel and go through the "aliveness"!!! He got me a few good times across the hands and forearm, afterwhich we always discuss what "could have been" with a live blade. Eek. At full speed, he kinda had a hard time catching me, LOL, but that's because he just started another chemo treatment, so he was feeling sluggish. (Please keep Billy in prayer). However, he did shock the heck outta me literally when he parried me somehow, and I caught the full force of the SFT "tip" under my armpit! Ideally, blade kept thick from spine to "edge" and a more rounded tip would be appreciated, and a great improvement over my SFT! LOL!

Awhile back, the SF was hailed by Kim Breed of BLADE on it's utility usage. Many folks like the SF for that purpose...it's a great beater knife! However, a recent article in Tactical Knives done by one of my all time favorite writers, Mr. Jerry VanCook, hailed the SF for it's SD usage. The SF was also featured in COMMANDO, a French Weapons publication...although I don't know what was said aside from that the author carries one as a back up knife. I know a buncha folks "who know" what a 2" blade can do. Some "Non-Knife People" get a bit apprehensive about closing the SF, so a SFT would teach them properly without scaring the heck outta them. That being said...

SFT_Standout.jpg

Do you guys think there'd be a market for a SFT?

God bless and mahalo much!:cool:

In one word Chad:

YES!

Very nice work there, by the way!

:D !!! Mahalo Th232,

You always have a kind word for me...I appreciate that a lot.;) In the beginning, I had left the handle "slots" black, to match the stud, but it just did not look right.:eek:

Anyway, will be in touch, keep pressing, and God bless:cool:

Great looking trainer. Wow! I'm sure there is a market for SFT...and Trance trainer too. Anyone who carries SF (or Trance) as a SD or a backup would love this one. I know i would. Great job. I'm impresed. I love it!!

Absolutely! Bring on the SFT! Since I carry a "live" Subcom every day and plan on doing so for the forseeable future, I'd jump at the chance to have a trainer model. I just hope the production models will have the FRN dyed red at the factory rather than painted...:D:p

Seriously, looks fantastic. Count me in.

edit: Oops! Good call by Tomso. I'd like to see a Trance version, too.

Great looking trainer. Wow! I'm sure there is a market for SFT...and Trance trainer too. Anyone who carries SF (or Trance) as a SD or a backup would love this one. I know i would. Great job. I'm impresed. I love it!!

Aloha Knifebroyo2!!!

Good to see you here! Thanks always for the great response...however, regarding a Trance Trainer, that might be a bit tricky: The Carsen flipper can hurt like a *****!!! Even with a drone blade, and rounding the flipper...

God bless and e me later:cool:

Absolutely! Bring on the SFT! Since I carry a "live" Subcom every day and plan on doing so for the forseeable future, I'd jump at the chance to have a trainer model. I just hope the production models will have the FRN dyed red at the factory rather than painted...:D:p

Seriously, looks fantastic. Count me in.

edit: Oops! Good call by Tomso. I'd like to see a Trance version, too.

Mahalo G. Scott H.,

Thanks for your enthusiasm! I am glad that you carry an SF on a daily, thanks for that as well. Yes, IF Boker ever did a SFT, the scale would indeed be red dyed FRN!:rolleyes:

Mahalo for posting and for your support:cool:

I support you the whole way on this one, Alohabro.
One of the first things I did was make trainer versions for all my SFs.
Let's see what we can do.
The more replies to this thread the better, shows alot of interest.
Thanks, TJT

I support you the whole way on this one, Alohabro.
One of the first things I did was make trainer versions for all my SFs.
Let's see what we can do.
The more replies to this thread the better, shows alot of interest.
Thanks, TJT

Mahalo Knifebro,

Yep...I made a trainer as soon as I got the AUS8 version. 420J2's are collectable after all.;)

I agree...the more replies, the better the chances. I hope.

Take care Ter, and God bless:cool:

Chad-I finally found the link on the site. Please do try and interest someone in making and selling Sub-Com and Trance trainers. I will buy at least four of each, and more when I open my planned private studio for Chicago law enforcement friends (the cops in Chicago are not the "thugs" that the media around the world has painted them out to be because of a couple of rogue cops that went over the top...the overwhelming majority are the finest red-blooded Americans you can find anywhere...I respect them and trust them above and beyond!!!)

Herbert April Jr.

Chad-I finally found the link on the site. Please do try and interest someone in making and selling Sub-Com and Trance trainers. I will buy at least four of each, and more when I open my planned private studio for Chicago law enforcement friends (the cops in Chicago are not the "thugs" that the media around the world has painted them out to be because of a couple of rogue cops that went over the top...the overwhelming majority are the finest red-blooded Americans you can find anywhere...I respect them and trust them above and beyond!!!)

Herbert April Jr.

Mahalo Mr. April,

Welcome aboard, and God speed on your studio!:thumbup: Oh yeah, will try to get the "SFT" into the minds of Boker too.;)

God bless:cool:

Well, I'm pretty sure I own at least one of every CLB Design Boker made so I certainly can see myself buying a trainer or two as well. :)

It would make a great blade to train youngsters in knife safety! Count me in.

DayWalker-I hope that Boker gets notice of this thread and seriously considers creating an SFT and a TFT set. An extraordinary blade deserves an extraordinary complimentary "trainer."

BlackScorpion47

Hey, DW!

Put me down for a trainer :)

Aloha Master Molester!:D

At the rate this thread is going, I may have to contract YOU to make the SFT's. Er, got any bright red G10?:p

Mahalo and God blesses you Knifebro!

zenheretic said:
Well, I'm pretty sure I own at least one of every CLB Design Boker made so I certainly can see myself buying a trainer or two as well.

Thanks zen'bro! BTW, did "it" come out yet?:p

RedEdge77 said:
I'm down for a trainer as well!

Mahalo RedEdge77,
Good to see you! Yeah, I should hope that you'd be in for a few of these, due to your forum name.;)

mmmotorcycle said:
It would make a great blade to train youngsters in knife safety! Count me in.

Aloha mmmotorcycle,

Exactly! My daughter has been practicing with the SFT. She already knows how to handle a "live blade" in terms of safe handling, but the SFT is teaching her to draw and open...:thumbup:

drejc said:
Great trainer, Chad! Put me down for one as well!!

Aloha drejc,

Um, THAT goes without saying, eh?;)

blackscorpion47 said:
DayWalker-I hope that Boker gets notice of this thread and seriously considers creating an SFT and a TFT set. An extraordinary blade deserves an extraordinary complimentary "trainer."

Aloha again blackscorpion47,

Well sir, as TJT mentioned, the more people who post here in this thread helps to justify the feasibility of making it a reality...get all them cops logged on!!!:D

MAHALO MUCH EVERYONE...be SAFE and GOD BLESS!!!:cool:

My Dear Friends,

Yes, the SubCom needs a trainer! These little blades are SO useful for SD - a trainer just makes sense. They look so innocuous, but handle and cut like a much larger blade.

--------
Hannibal

Back