Surge or Charge Tti?

I'm more leaning towards the surge for the vast array of tools available but which is actually the better tool? I know the charge tti has s30v, but that doesn't really mean too much to me because i carry a folder with me sometimes, and if not, i can always sharpen. I'm going to ask for it for christmas, and outfit it with the bit kit also, and maybe the extender? I want to have a tricked out system on my belt. I think if i got this it would eliminate the feeling of having to carry my swisstool & swisschamp, for scissors, pliers, knives, tools, etc. So, which tool should i get? I'll get the bit kit with either, and which sheath? I like to be able to horizontally carry my sheath, but its not a deal breaker. Something i can pack that all into, as small as possible, and not have it wear out quick from rubbing on rocks, the ground if im working on a car, etc. Price point is ~200, and i saw the tool isn't more than 60 online, so add whatever you want!

I have the Surge. I would rather have something smaller. Its just to big for edc.

I don't mind the weight. On a big outing or where multiple people may use a saw/knife i'll bring a buck 110, swisschamp and swisstool, all in sheaths. The only thing wrong with that is when you go pee you pants yourself!

As much as you like to fish, any of the Leathermans with the diamond file is a good choice. They sharpen hooks great.

With the surge , everytime you loosen your belt the Surge is so heavy , that it slides off and onto the flloor.

As much as you like to fish, any of the Leathermans with the diamond file is a good choice. They sharpen hooks great.

thats an added bonus. Last outting with a buddy of mine one of my jigs got stuck on a rock and luckily i had 50# braid on, but the hook got very blunt/bent. I had pliers on hand to bend the hook, but had to find a very fine grained rock to sharpen the hook up to hold me over til i got home.

Thinking of this:

-http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=8&f=6&c=1

-http://www.leatherman.com/accessories/product/Bit_Driver_Extender

-http://www.leatherman.com/accessories/product/Bit_Kit

Still can't figure out a leatherman sheath to fit all this in though.

I carried a WAVE for years and years. Lost it, got a SURGE.......Now, I'm about 6 foot and 250lbs and that thing weighed me down like a cannonball in my pocket. I traded it off and picked up a CHARGE TTi. It's perfect.

I have both. The Surge stays in my Jeep - it's just too big to carry in pocket, and I don't care for sheathes/knives on my belt. I ground the redundant flathead driver on my Charge into an awl, so it now as the same tool compliment as the Surge.

Yeah, the Surge is just a little too heavy in my opinion. The Charge is a lot more comfortable in the closed position as well. The handle scales are rounded as opposed to the squared and sharp edges on the Surge.

What exactly does the surge have that the charge doesn't? I noticed something about an electrical crimper, but that's pretty much it. I for some reason like to have the best of the best with everything, so i'm looking at the surge. I really want the tti, but want the more functional one. I hated the PST, that thing killed my hands, my dad loved it but idk how he used it all day everyday at work, tough hands i guess. My swisstool doesn't feel too bad.

I have both..., if you plan to use it without any fear to abuse the tool,then the surge is for you,on the other hand if you are going to use it in a more "light" use ,there's nothing better than the TTI.

In the end is how comfortable you feel,and how secure "makes you feel"....:thumbup:

I don't mind abusing multi tools :). It will probably come fishing with me, hiking, hunting, around the yard use and whatever inbetween.

Don't kid yourself, the SURGE only has a few features that the Charge doesn't. It has a stranded wire cutter and an awl. Those are the only differences between the two tools. The Charge has a better crimper and it also has a cutting hook which is not on the Surge. Do 4 implements justify 4.3 ounces? That's almost a Leatherman Juice S2! You will not want to carry the Surge with you. It's one of those tools where it's best in a glove box or a backpack. I hope this helps.

I had narrowed it down to the surge and Charge TTi a couple years ago and have been wearing the Charge in my left side front pocket everyday until I snagged the pocket clip and sheared it off earlier this week. I haven't tried to be nice to it since day 1 and it has never let me down...well except for the pocket clip. I've tried the neck lanyard for a day but its a little heavy for that, and the sheath and extra bits usually stay home on account of I prefer the pocket clip to a belt sheath.but I will buy another pocket clip and back in the pocket it will go. I vote for the Charge its great!

-J

I had a Leatherman Surge for 2 years, and sold it to get a Charge. I got the ALX instead of the TTI, and I still think it was majorly worth it. The Charge is just as tough as the Surge, and a hell of a lot lighter without losing any real utility.

IMO the Charge TTI is the top of the line Leatherman model, with the Surge having the only real distinction of being the heaviest. You can carry a Charge TTI and a knife for less weight than the Surge alone.

What's the difference between a wire crimper and electrical crimper? Stranded wire cutter would be like electrical copper wire, correct? I actually use/want an awl, i always buy SAK's that have them because i use them more often than you'd think. The hook on the charge tti makes me wonder if i can sharpen it (on the serrated blade). 8.2 oz charge tti and 12.5oz surge. Hmm, ive got a lot to think about. You guys have helped, keep it comin! Like i said, i'll be getting the larger bit kit for sure, and need to find a sheath to hold all this plus the extension.

Back