Swimming Knife

Another question since summer is coming up. What would be a good knife for IWB carry (and also general carry) while swimming. I work at a pool as a lifeguard and manager. I cannot carry while guardings. However, with my job comes the privelidge of being able to use the pool facilities with my friends after hours. I would like to have a knife on me in the situation should someone come and crash my party, if you know what I mean. Also would be useful for times at motels if I am traveling and want to swim in the pool there. I am thinking something fairly inexpensive with decent steel (rust resistance more important than ultimate edge holding. I also want it to be fairly compact when folded. I was looking at the Spyderco Delica or Native and Cold Steel El Lobo. I like the design of the native a little more, but think the Delica or El Lobo might be the way to go as it is right at 3" while the Native is 3 1/8". That way it would be legal most everywhere I would go with it. Any other knives I should look into? Any comments about carrying a knife when swimming?

Well.... none of the knives you listed for consideration were anywhere near this price-range, but a Mayo TNT would seem a logical choice if it could be afforded.
Talonite and Titanium would be my first two choices for materials for such a knife.

or perhaps a Camillus Talonite EDC... even tho its handle is stainless steel, I understand that grade of stainless (420 HC) to be very corrosion resistant.
Still expensive, but not in the same range as the TNT.
and the blade size is closer to that of the Delica, thus more legal in most places you would go to.

Native or Delica, I would consider them good choices also, altho no steel is truly rust proof, with proper care/feeding I think they would hold up to this use.

As for carrying a knife while swimming... I've never really considered it like you are talking about... so I really cant say much about it. Dont see a reason not to either.

I am already saving up for a TnT, but it is hard as a college student. I would also like an EDC for EDC, lol, but not for this. One reason I want to go with FRN handles is to keep weight down. I don't want half a pound of metal draggin my drawers down.;)

one2gofst,

Just a suggestion. I would go with the Delica do to price and spray the blade with silicon. That should keep the rust down for ya.

I do a lot of Scuba diving both salt water and fresh. I have been using silicon on my knives for over 8 years. It as kept the rust off pretty good.

Good luck, Brian Everett

Thanks for the heads up on the silicon. I am leaning towards delica, but I still like the looks of the Native better. On the plus side the Delica is lighter with an exactly 3" blade. However the native is shorter when closed but has a 3 1/8" blade.

I've used an Endura for swimming, in fresh and salt water, for well over a decade, and haven't had any trouble. Just hose it down and dry it off when you're done, and lubricate it every now and then.

Delica with silicon treatment is great solution.

Recommend you sew pouch into inside of trunks that is fairly restraining of the knife despite its clip-carry feature. This will keep the knife out of sight (low profile, stealth mode) and will aid greatly in retention while you're playing in the pool. The last thing you want is to lose the knife in the water and perhaps not realize this until way later...lots of unintended consequences here.

You could always carry it on a neck cord but if it somehow comes even part-way open in the pool there's a good chance of self-injury or accidently cutting or poking someone else. Again, the potential for disaster has to be well considered.

I lost a nice Endura while white water rafting years ago. Went into the drink and got bumped and tumbled for about 100 feet. When I finally got back into the raft I discovered the "ride" had ripped the knife right out of my pocket. Adios, Mr. Spyderco!

Retention is very much aided by the clothing to body contact factor. Rough and tumble activities will greatly affect clip retention, depending upon the design and fitting of the clip to the knife's body. Endura and Delica clips are adequate in most daily carry situations for retention. They do suffer under some rough and tumble activities, and swimming might very well be one of these. So modify the clothing worn for the swim to aid in keeping the knife where you want and may need it.

For years I carried a Spyderco Endura (same as Delica) in the WAISTBAND of my shorts while swimming, running, biking, etc. The AUS8 steel did and initial rust-up fairly quickly and I bet it was due to the finish not being perfect on a $40 knife, b/c the Cold Steel folders did the same thing when drenched in water during a waterfall in the kitchen. It is impressive to see water cascading over the top of a sliging door when the maint crew removed the flashing for the house that day just prior to going home for a three day weekend.

Anyway, the AUS spotted up pretty bad, but a thorough cleaning with Flitz removed the rusty spots in a few minutes, followed by WD 40 on the blade and pivot.

Any steel from 440 whatever to BG42 I have carried next to skin speckles, as I must sweat out acid or something, but Flitz treatment on the steel followed by WD 40 seems to work well. The Flitzing seems to give the metal a far more uniform surface that is harder for the corrosive bits to adhere to is my guess, ask a guy with better understanding of this, but even teh highly rust-reactive ATS34 (sandblasted at that) performed well with this treatment even when I had to change shirts 3x a day one summer due to sweating them soaked thru.

The delica with the removeable clip will do well in the waistband of your shorts, don't bother clipping to the pocket as you will eventually lose it.

Thank you all for the advice. Trying to decide on a blade still. I am leaning away from the Native because it is slightly over 3" and if I am getting a knife for this purpose I want a 3" blade so I am legal just about everywhere. Here are the choices I have come up with. Please rate these, best to worst and feel free to add other choices and insert them into the rankings

Spyderco Calypso Jr- 2 7/8" blade, 4" closed, 1.9oz
Spyderco Delica- 3" blade, 4" closed, 1.9oz
Spyderco Native- 3 1/8" blade, 3 7/8" closed, 2.4oz
ColdSteel El Lobo- 3" blade, 3 5/8" closed, 2.5oz

Thanks

My main swimming knife has long been my first Spyderco--an old plastic clip Endura with GIN 1 (G-2) steel. I've also used AUS-8 blades such as on some Cold Steel folders. These would be my steel picks, as long as they are rinsed off in tap water after every swim and lubed/cleaned once in awhile.

I'd go with the Delica, especially if you can find an old plastic clip one in AUS 8 or GIN 1. The ATS-55 doesn't seem to work as well for corrosion resistance for me.

I wore mine clipped in my waistband, but for "stealth purposes," you might consider attaching a clipless Delica, Dragonfly, or LadyBug inside your swimshorts pockets or under the waistband with a large safety pin. Have it pinned into a bit of material so you can just rip it off in an emergency.

I would think lifeguards should be required to carry a small knife, since it would be helpful in cutting people out of certain snags in the water. Yes, rare, but if you need a knife...

Karl

Good point, SG - my Endura is the antique G-2 model.

Seems that when I use a new-model Rescue, it rusts like crazy.

Bae, spend a couple beers polishing the blade up with flitz, it will not rust as much. Find the AUS8 blade if you can though. Spray it down with WD40, or even vegetable oil if you are gonna slice a hot dog in half with it!

Get the Delica with the plastic clip and tuck it into the waistband. Stealth and fishing around in your pants during emergency? Fine motor control gone and big hand movement in pants during duress....imagine the front page stories now!!!!

Parker

Unless the hot dog tries to attack me I do not plan on cutting any with it. I have seen VG-10 blades. How do these compare in terms of stain resistance?

Also, everyone seems to be saying Delica and not really mentioning the other knives. Is Delica just the optimum if I can find one with a molded clip, or is generally the best knife for the job, IYO?

one2gofst,

Have you considered a KISS from CRKT. They aren't very big and are quite cheep and easy to clean. If this knife was just for around water with little use intended I would consider this a viable option. Having said that I haven't had much experience with them somaybe someone will pipe in on this idea.

Hope this helps,

MNU

Thanks for the advice. I have thought about the KISS, but I think the other choices would be better. The kiss is all metal and seems like a lot of the knife is above the clip. I want a knife that rides pretty low. A black clip would be nice (actually a clear plastic clip would be best, But I have never seen one of those.)I also do not particularly like the idea of that blade resting right up against my skin. It is also fairly heavy for its size, due to the all metal construction.

Originally posted by one2gofst
Would you say $30 is a good price for a serrated Calypso Jr. lightweight?

Definitely pick that sucker up even if you won't use it for swimming pool carry. Calypso Jr's have been discontinued and there is a lot of demand for them. I just picked one up last week for $50. VG-10 steel has great rust resistance.

Whatever you do don't get a liner-lock. They don't have very strong detents and will probably open up. Stick with lock-backs. I would recommend an axis lock, but none of them are really good for swimming pool carry. The Gripilians are the only ones with a steel good for water (440c), and I wouldn't in a million years carry one IWB. They're pretty thick and are very abrasive (you don't want the handle rubbing up against your skin).

Back