Swimming Knife

Well, I picked me up a Calypso Jr. I really like the design of it. I got it for $37.50 total. I am pretty hapy with that, but am still open to suggestions if you think that other knives would definately make a better pool pal.

I have my Gerber EZ out clipped in a cargo pocket when I go white water rafting and I even swim with it. No rust!. You should consider more than just a knife. A large OC can or a stick maybe viable. I can't imagine you exitng a pool to "knife fight" a guy with a crow bar. I always looked at a knife as a good "carry" weapon but the fact is that if you draw your knife on someone, even if you are being attacked you will be cahrged with a crime. A kid (I forget where) was being bullied by another and was being beaten badly. He stabbed the other kid a few times to get him to back off. The kid that stabbed in SD was sentenced to jail. The other guy even admitted that he did not think that the kid should go to jail but should pay for his medical bills. A knife is a contact weapon. It is not less than leathal. Don't let anyone tell you other wise or they are full of ****. Second of all, if these are high school jerks, self defense with a knife won't look good. I would keep a less than lethal weapon as my first option. A knife is a last resort. If you don't believe me go ask a criminal defense attorney. Good Luck.

You are right. I have no illusions about a knife being less than lethal. IMO, if someone attacks you in the water and tries to hold you under water that is deadly force justified. I don't fear for myself at the pool where I work. I just like to be prepared and since every once in a while we get pool hoppers up there I would rather be prepared than not. As for out of the pool, there are things that could be fought with closeby. I appreciate your concern and will keep your advice in mind, thanks.

Good to hear. A kid tried to drown me when I was in elementary school. I hit him in the crotch to get him to let go. A one hand opener would be good in that case. Your smart, keep up the good thinking.

Again, thanks for all the help and tips. I have on their way to me a serrated calypso jr. and a serrated Delica with the plastic clip that was recommended so highly to me. I will be sure to let you know how they do for pool duty.

First of all, If someone crashes your party call the cops!

my saltwater swimming folder is a CS voyager with an old style plastic clip. The plastic clip will not rust.

Bill

Copis, agreed. Like I said, this is not a "I'm gonna take the BGs out no matter what" knife. This is a "someone wants to mess me up right here and now" knife.

I would go for a fully serrated Spyderco Delica in VG-10. It a nice, inexpensive knife that would hold up well.

I have an old style plastic clip fully serrated Delica on its way to me as we speak.

Sorry for being so late...

You might also consider a Heckler & Koch knife.
It is made of the same steel as the Boker Orca . (X-15 TN)
X-15 TN is reported to be extremely corrosion-resistant. The handle is made of the same material as the handle of an H&K USP.
Unfortunately, the lock failed the spine whack test. Great knife,though.

Follow the link: http://www.boker.de/default2.asp and choose HECKLER&KOCH from the dropdown menu in the upper right.

Back