Talwar vs AK47

Talwar vs AK47

• Total voters
A serrated talwar could be great actually, i

can you put side to side ak47 and talwar and take a picture, ı want to take a close look :)
There's just nothing more "wicked sick " than the full SE Cold Steel folders , especially the big guns 5.5" and over blades . After you carry one for awhile , everything else seems ...inadequate . So long as you understand the use limitations . Not the knives for chopping or prying !

There's just nothing more "wicked sick " than the full SE Cold Steel folders , especially the big guns 5.5" and over blades . After you carry one for awhile , everything else seems ...inadequate . So long as you understand the use limitations . Not the knives for chopping or prying !
You are tempting my mind :) definitly my next intention is a XL serrated cold steel

Echo the Talwar. They can still be found without too much trouble.
Im new to the forum but ım feeling like you are one of the important men that ı should listen, which one do you suggest ? Or do you suggest something else ?

You are tempting my mind :) definitly my next intention is a XL serrated cold steel
I don't want to steer you wrong . You are probably better off EDC 'ing the 4" Talwar . Much easier to carry and less socially problematic . The XL is "over the top" for most people to actually EDC . I do , but I'm retired and live in the country . I spend most of my time on my own land . I usually carry a smaller knife to town , mostly so people won't :poop: themselves in case I need to use the knife .:p
P1030708_zpsep2c75th.jpg

Last edited:
Im new to the forum but ım feeling like you are one of the important men that ı should listen, which one do you suggest ? Or do you suggest something else ?

For pure self defense I like the 5.5" serrated Talwar because of the reach, but choose whichever feels best in your hand and is a size you will carry. It does no good if it isn't with you when you need it.

The AK-47 is my choice, it screams tactical but it feels great in the hand and works well in EDC with it's more utilitarian blade shape. The talwar has a very nice flat ground blade and a tip that seems like it will stab through anything but the blade curve makes it not so great at utility tasks, IMO. And while the AK has an aluminum hook on the end I find the talwar handle to get in the way at times because it dips so low.

I started with the original aluminum handle AK and often carry my Tri-ad lock AUS8 model. The FDE model might get ordered soon... but that Orange ultimate hunter....

5C54C5A4-9287-4262-8456-CB408900A7DE.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to steer you wrong . You are probably better off EDC 'ing the 4" Talwar . Much easier to carry and less socially problematic . The XL is "over the top" for most people to actually EDC . I do , but I'm retired and live in the country . I spend most of my time on my own land . I usually carry a smaller knife to town , mostly so people won't :poop: themselves in case I need to use the knife .:p
P1030708_zpsep2c75th.jpg
Cons of city life :(

Okay ım gona to buy it at the weekend, And ı will add photos with my thoughts soon

The AK-47 is my choice, it screams tactical but it feels great in the hand and works well in EDC with it's more utilitarian blade shape. The talwar has a very nice flat ground blade and a tip that seems like it will stab through anything but the blade curve makes it not so great at utility tasks, IMO. And while the AK has an aluminum hook on the end I find the talwar handle to get in the way at times because it dips so low.

I started with the original aluminum handle AK and often carry my Tri-ad lock AUS8 model. The FDE model might get ordered soon... but that Orange ultimate hunter....

5C54C5A4-9287-4262-8456-CB408900A7DE.jpg
I added ak47 to my "buy list" after talwar, ı definitly want to try it at least

You got that right . I escaped to the country life ASAP after an education and military service . Never looked back . Got ~100 acres of mostly woods . No money though ! :D
Who needs money when you have knives :)
I hope ı can have a life like yours in the future :)

Last edited:
I own both,
The AK is good to carry around if you occasionally have to bust up ice, otherwise the pummel makes it uncomfortable and heavy in the pocket.

The Talwar 4 inch is uncomfortable in my 2xl hands, and the thumb stud on this one just hurts me, but it's a great slicer.

I managed to fubar the lock on my Lawman, that otherwise was a great knife.

And I only carry around a holdout 3, anymore. (even though it's only the aus-8 version.)

I own both,
The AK is good to carry around if you occasionally have to bust up ice, otherwise the pummel makes it uncomfortable and heavy in the pocket.

The Talwar 4 inch is uncomfortable in my 2xl hands, and the thumb stud on this one just hurts me, but it's a great slicer.

And I only carry around a holdout 3, anymore. (even though it's only the aus-8 version.)
What did you do to the Lawman lock? The triad seems unbreakable on mine.

Last edited:
What did you do to the Lawman lock? The triad seems unbreakable on mine.

The part where the cutout enages with the lockbar deformed, and the lock doesn't consistently engage, and even when it does it has play.

I suspect there was a slight imperfection in the steel.

The design itself is great, and even this knife took plenty use and abuse for problems to show up.

I own both,

Weeesh, I was starting to think that I was the only one using the pommel to break ice.

CAM02603_zpslwkwuckd.jpg

After some weird looks and comments I decided to keep smashing my ice cubes in peace and alone, not telling anyone :D
PS: I also punch holes in plastic and thick synthetics with it, it's a nice improvised hammer/bludgeon on occasion.

20160311_121304_zpswdwsgsnj.jpg

I had both, full size ak and xl talwar. Kept the talwar and got rid of the ak. Not a bad knife, but i like my ultimate hunter a little better so it didnt get much pocket time

Back