Tell A Little About Yourself

JK Knives

I always find it interesting to know a bit about the people here, so thought I would start this. Did this years ago, but there are a lot of newer people here now.

I`m John, (JK Knives, formerly Stomper), and this is my forum. I make knives, but formerly worked for one of the largest seal companies in the world (37 years!). I`ve been married to Connie, (one of the most understanding people I`ve ever met), for almost 29 years. We have 3 daughters, Angie, Becky, and Alison, and 4 grandchildren, Jon, Hayley, Hanna, and Emily.
Besides making knives, I enjoy shooting my guns, and doing short hikes in the woods in our area, and doing what we call "One Tank Road Trips."

Let`s hear from you guys, don`t be shy!

I'm one of the new guys around here.

My name is Cody. I work in higher education where I do counseling (LPC) and teach courses. I have a wife (totally out of my league) and two daughters (really great kids). I enjoy the outdoors and look to start camping more in the near future (one of the reasons I ordered a JK Handmade knife), always up for travelling, and really enjoy guns/knives and spending time on this forum.

I also love to cook! Speaking of that, do you make Chef Knives, John? :D

My name is Bret and I am originally from Midland, Michigan I was born and raised most of the time with my mother and the other half of the time in Van Orin, Illinois with my father. I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada going on four years now at the end of the month. My wife and I have been together for six years in November and have a three year old son together. I work as a armed supervisor for a security company and primarily work in higher end Homeowners associations. I am kind of an oddball when it comes to outdoors as I prefer the latest and greatest gadgets but practice primitive skills (tracking, foraging, primitive fire skills). I also enjoy long range rifle and "combat" handgun shooting along with hiking and hunting. I actually stumbled on JK knives by accident after lurking here on the forums for a couple of years. I enjoy everyone's outlook on things here and prefer the almost family like atmosphere John has going here. Bonus: My screen name actually has nothing to do with knives it was originally my tag for video game and paintball tournaments.

The wife and the grubbler.

13331139_918457268263063_8588787582217654875_n.jpg

My name is Heath and I live waaay down south in central Louisiana. Ive lived in about the same area my whole life, give or take 100 miles or so. I have a 'soon-to-be' wife that I have been with for 7 years. We're getting married on our 10th year anniversary, which is also the same month two of our boys were conceived. ;)
I have 3 kids, all boys, 10-3-1. Those 4 lovely people are why I get up everyday and do the work I do. I work at a stone fabrication shop and I program the CNC machine used to cut and fabricate all the stone. Its a pretty easy job as far as the labor goes, but the stress level is through the roof some of the time. When your the sole person in charge of a half million dollar machine it gets a little stressful sometimes.

I relieve said stress with shooting guns and working on my heep, er, Jeep I mean. I really enjoy getting outside and doing just about anything. I recently purchased a Stihl chainsaw and spent an entire day last weekend just cutting s*#t up around my property. The yard looks MUCH better! :cool:

Ive been on this side of the Bladeforums for a little over year and don't see myself branching out really. I mean, you cant really improve perfection right!

Anyways, heres a few pics to put an image to all these words.

Puttin' them boys to work! You can tell who works the hardest by how much butt crack is showing. :p

Jasper helping me 'work on stuff'

Doing some shootin' a few weekend ago.

I'm Steve. Been hanging around this forum since it began. I prefer to read and lurk rather than comment much. I'm a personal trainer at a Ymca. I also teach martial arts (35 years now). I like biking, hiking, photography, and beer. I live with two lovely ladies, one of whom turns 11 this month. Also have two grown sons who I'm very proud of too-- they'll bother graduate from college soon. John is my favorite maker--at one time I owned over twenty of his knives!

I'm Luke. Im a Navy vet and a husband. I'm a step father and a brand new father. I've been backpacking and playing in the woods for 10+ years. It's basically my therapy. I've been on/or lurking on BF for a couple of years. My other hobbies are competing in powerlifting and the motorcycle I never ride anymore. I'm somewhat of a wrestling coach and firearms instructor. I've made a decent living as a law man for the last 15 years. 13 years to go before we can retire to Vegas and watch boxing and mma every weekend.

I'm Cooper. Probably one of the younger Proud Supporters. I've been checking in here for a few years, and have met a bunch of great people because of the JK community, not to mention the numerous JK's I have acquired over the past few years.:D

I recently started college after a 4 year hiatus. I'm studying Forestry (Wildlife Habitat Management and Conservation) and hope to find a job that will keep me outside as much as possible. I have always enjoyed spending time in the woods, and decided it would be ideal if I could make a living doing that. During my break from school, I worked as a welder and robotic welder programmer for a small farm equipment manufacturer and learned a ton. But the most important thing I learned was that I don't want to spend the rest of my life in a factory.

Cool thread, Mr. K. I'm enjoying reading the responses from everyone.

Heespharm: real name is Heesoo and you guessed it, I'm a pharmacist (not so imaginative screen name)

I'm not married or have and children that I know about but enjoy the outdoors, leatherwork and photography...

I started my love of knives with SAK in Boy Scouts and macguyver

I restore straight razors in my free time and enjoy making things ... some of my work below

31e03bdb7287f358a54aff056b456620.jpg

4b4d0242be61b316430dc90431d1c757.jpg

c28981a2b9e1bb9e0e22557e35fa312d.jpg

08cb154388eaf90de69652e07ce5e110.jpg

798c13363f645af831b3adf8cfe93bb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My name is Glenn. I am married (28 years this month) with a son at his senior year in college. I am a veteran of the US Air Force. I currently run the Communications division for the largest electrical contractor in NH.

I have always enjoyed working with my hands, doing small woodworking projects and tinkering with stuff. I started playing around with pocketknives, probably as a by-product of collecting them, and that has evolved into a fun hobby of modifying and restoring pocketknives for others. It is very rewarding work, I'm sure John can attest to that.

My name is Glenn. I am married (28 years this month) with a son at his senior year in college. I am a veteran of the US Air Force. I currently run the Communications division for the largest electrical contractor in NH.

I have always enjoyed working with my hands, doing small woodworking projects and tinkering with stuff. I started playing around with pocketknives, probably as a by-product of collecting them, and that has evolved into a fun hobby of modifying and restoring pocketknives for others. It is very rewarding work, I'm sure John can attest to that.

Your "rebuilt" pocket knives are a work of art, I should know, I have 3 of them, a Barlow and two TL-29's.

My real world name is William. I live in SW Virginia where I was born and have been most of my life. I'm an electrician by trade and my hobbies since childhood are mostly outdoors. I fish, hunt, hike, camp, shoot, and spend as much time as I can outdoors with my family. I have a wonderful wife who is too young and too pretty for me along with two very smart sons. My older son is an engineer with degrees in computer science and mathematics. My younger son is a freshly potty trained two year old who shows great potential as a collector of sharp things. I've been a BF member for almost 10 years, got my first JK from Stomper. In addition to my knife addiction I have a slight problem with fishing equipment and guns. I keep thinking/hoping I'll recover but at my age it's probably a lost cause.

Nice work! Anyone who carries a Buck is ok in my book.

For me the buck is the measuring bar that I measure all other knives to... the one in the pic is the s30v model... I love it and the buffalo horn scales on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just sold my 501 with S30V and walnut, but I kept my S30V 503 in indigo wood. I also has three Custom Shop 110's, one in S30V and indigo wood, one in S30V and orange wood, and an earlier one in BG-42 and oak. Bucks are my favorite factory knives.

My name is Chris. I'm a husband (13 years to a women much to smart and sophisticated for me) and a father (son is 5 & daughter is 2.75). I'm 37 years old. The aforementioned wife claims I was born 40 (she's actually been telling people I was 40 since I turned 30) and that I've only gotten older and grumpier (hence the curmudgeon moniker) since she's know me (we meet in college). I'm an educated Neanderthal from a small town in eastern Kentucky who makes a living as an Industrial Hygienist for an environmental, health, & safety consulting firm. I'm a devoute member of Big Blue Nation (University of Kentucky Basketball fan) living behind enemy lines in Louisville, KY. We just moved into our newly constructed "dream" home on 25 acres (which is my part of "the dream"). I'm an active outdoors man (not as active as I'd like, but small kids will do that to you); I love to hunt, hike and shoot. Both kids are already hooked on fishing (farm pond Bluegill have a way do doing that). My son already has his own now and is learning the fundamentals of shooting and firearm safety with a .22lr revolver (Ruger Single-Six).

I was born a poor black child in Eastern South Dakota to a white mother and a white father on the same day that Elvis recorded Houndog. We lived in a 3 room shack along the creek, within smelling distance of the buffalo herd that my maternal grandfather took care of for the guvment. Despite our home being the ultimate place for a boy to grow up my father decided to give up his carer as a bartender and head bouncer at the best roadhouse in the Dakotas and move to Chicago to work in restaurant managment. I was only 3 so I was not allowed to stay in South Dakota alone although my mother tells me I did present a good case for myself. Growing up in the big city taught me many things I would not have learned on the prairie and my summers spent returning to Dakota helped me hone my rural skills also. My paternal grand parents lived in west central Illinois (not to far from Cooper) and my hunting uncle (Uncle Leo) and I shared many many hours together in fields and woods pursuing critters. My father gave me his love of fishing and shooting and history. My paternal grandfather was unable to participate in these pursuits due to too much time spent with Jim, Jack,and Johnny. The University of Illinois proved to be difficult for me due to intoxication and lack of effort (you mean I have to go to class occasionally?) so my higher education ended after one year when I was still only 17. Bunch of jobs from door to door sales to painting railroad cars, working in gun shops, fishing shops, then wholesale sales of outdoor gear. After first marriage of 19 years and the gift of 3 fantastic and lovely daughters I found myself living on several SW Florida, Islands, learning to salt water fish (a thing I intend to carry on with again eventually). Back to Illinois in 2000, just in time to meet my wonderful wife Cindy! Worked as a Union carpenter from 2001 thru 2007, then back again into sporting goods retail which is were I am now running a busy fishing shop in the Chicago suburbs. Love knives, guns, Cindy, my 4 grand chi'drens and pecan pie a/la mode. Need to know more? Just ask! Now lets hear about YOU!

I am Andy - last name = Moon, so I use mqqn as my screen name everywhere. Computer professional, with 34 years in the business, having done literally everything from scheduling, tape handler, librarian, operator, programmer, DBA on both mainframe and distributed platforms. I am currently in Infrastructure Architecture and Planning for a maker of large yellow track type tractors in Central Illinois.

I have been married for 25 years to Maggie, and have a daughter and son, and two granddaughters and one grandson.
I enjoy chasing the granddaughters around from sporting event to sporting event.
I don't know how this will work, but this is my little Emily (10) who is playing above her grade in her school basketball team - you can see her here getting the ball and driving around the defense - she is about a foot shorter than most of the other players, but that does not give Emmers much of a problem lol -

http://www.iammoon.com/albums/Baske...142016/#Emily runs through the D_20160914.mp4

I enjoy riding motorcycles (long range touring as well as dirt biking) and own 11 bikes total, but only a couple of street bikes.
In 2009 I rode my Kawasaki Concours from my home in Illinois to Deadhorse Alaska and back (9400 miles) in 15 days. Pictures can be found at the following link:
http://www.iammoon.com/albums/No Pansies Alaskan Tour/

I like to play Disc Golf, and so now does my son. In 1989 I was playing the pro tour, and made enough points to be invited in the first flight to play the World Championship in Cincinnati, however I did not have the week of vacation time it would have taken to play. I did win the Illinois State Championship in 92 in Joliet in the Open Amateur Masters division (I had stopped playing pro by that time).

I play darts now, and have been going to Las Vegas for 12 years to compete in the NDA International Team Dart Challenge, where I have placed in the top 4 several times, with two second place finishes in the last two years playing doubles cricket and doubles 01.

I occasionally work on the Benny the Blimp crew at the United Center, where my friend flies the blimp for the Bulls. That is a fun side gig! Following is a picture of my wife and I at center court one evening before I went up into the rafters to prepare Benny for flight - and a view from the rafters during a pre-game flight.
DSC_0044.JPG

IMAG0542.jpg

I also own and operate my own business teaching Firearm Safety and Illinois CCL / Use of Lethal Force training.

I have been a Tennessee Squire for 34 years as of Aug 28, and I go to the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ every years to meet up with my fellow Squires and commiserate over my favorite charcoal mellowed spirit. A friend of mine has a house literally next door to Mary Bobo's Boarding House in Lynchburg, so I set up my chairs in his back yard and enjoy the festivities. A picture of the old man at the Cave Spring....
DSC_8271.JPG

I like fast cars, and my wife and I each have our own C5 Corvettes, mine is a 2002 Z06, and hers is a 1999 Coupe with an automatic. I used to take mine to the drag strip frequently, but have not been to the track much lately ( the teaching CCL on the weekends has killed off a couple of my other pursuits....). I have run a best of 11.91 on street tires with my Z -
[youtube]iRMfgNO541w[/youtube]

I collect knives, and became friends with John around 2009 or so when I found a knife maker that was just a couple hours north in Illinois, and now I have a fairly large collection of his fine knives. I also have a lot of Buck knives - 110s and 112s, and I primarily collect Kershaw and Zero Tolerance knives, as well as some Busse, and some Great Eastern and other traditional knives. I have an album of pictures at the following link that shows some but not all of my knives...
http://www.iammoon.com/albums/knives/index.html

I also like photography, and am still trying to learn how to take pictures, but as you can see I put them all up on my web site regardless.

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Randy. Married for 15 years since August to Lena. Two children, my son Anthony 13 and my daughter Kelly 4. I wish I had some exciting cool stuff to talk about but live a rather mundane life. I love to get outdoors to go hunting, camping, hiking but don't seem get to get out often enough. Work management in retail warehouse, moving lots of stuff for people to buy, the bad is I work the night shift. I discovered JK knives by accident, I saw a picture someone posted over on FB and decided to check things out over here and have been hanging around ever since. We do the Texas Ren Fest every year, camp out etc. Would really like to hike the Appalachian Trail and have been planning it out on how to make it happen. My son is not much into the outdoors stuff but my daughter is really gung ho.

Daughter with my JK team mascot :)

Son at the NRA show in Houston

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum although I've been checking it out for quite some time now. I'm a young chap from Slovenia, currently studying foreign languages. I love the looks and feel of traditional slipjoints but only have a few so far. They're pretty much impossible to get where I'm from, so everything has to be ordered from abroad ... I hope to learn a lot of interesting stuff on this site!

Cheers

"John"

Back