The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

These are the new colors recently introduced. Green and green and black.
c163540ec8e104eb28199624c7712941.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that two tone material looks so neat

Nathan, these are awesome, the performance will be hard to match by anyone, including the few who use this type of testing as a benchmark for performance.

I'm glad I got a knife from you when I did, I fear it'll be a long time before I can get another. I'll have to trade for one most likely but I don't see anyone wanting to trade theirs in the near future so I'll have to be content with the D2 Osage Skinner for now (believe me I'm very content and appreciative of the knife but damn those videos of the Light Chopper are killin' me. :).

11.jpg~original

Did you ever consider an entry level blade pre drilled so they could handle it themselves in their material of choice, it'll save you the time and effort that goes into handling the knives and even offer a base maybe tumbled finish passing on the savings to the end users making them a little more affordable. Believe me they are more than worth the price and ounce for ounce multiplied by performance far cheaper than anything made mid tech or custom. One last stab (pun intended) at makin' it a little more affordable, ver consider a lay away program so folks like me on fixed incomes could benefit from what you've been able to accomplish with the medium you work in, you sir are a metalartist a person capable of not only bringing out the beauty but coax the best possible performance out of an alloy.

I don't impress easily, I got to work in the custom metals industry for Howmet in Northern NJ for a few years as a mechanic/machinist and I got to see some crazy custom stuff they were making for the NASA and the military. They made the cast titanium turbine blades for the jets and they made a lot of replacement parts for the medical industry. A cool job to have but the 12 hour days were rough on a new dad and husband so I moved into the semiconductor industry where things were less hectic :rolleyes: . There was another job that exposed me to cutting edge (another pun ;) ) technologies and materials... I know I ramble but everyone knows that anyway like I said, I don't, after 40 years on the trades as a fabricator I've met a lot of people and seen some really cool stuff but you and your people just blow me away every time I log on and read about CPK.

At least I can say I knew Nathan when... I appreciate you gettin' in the trenches and seein' stuff from our aspect as end users to exploit as much from your alloys as is possible, you're a user Nathan, you use everything at your disposal and use it to it's limit, even then refining and tuning till for the moment there's nothing left to squeeze from the material. I'm done ramblin', done heaping well deserved compliments on you and I realize the logistics involved in a layaway plan are near impossible to deal with but ya can't fault a brother for tryin' ;). Continued success Nathan, you are the Metalartist of the 21st century and I just wanna say I knew you when and much well deserved props and much earned respect, in the community and the industry.

Can I get a CPK sticker now? ;) :)

Dan doing what Dan does, with an early prototype:

[video=youtube;TvUsh5FijcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvUsh5FijcY[/video]

Durability demo:

[video=youtube;yC2PLk_04vE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC2PLk_04vE[/video]

^ This has an outstanding combination of cutting performance, toughness and edge retention.

These are "field grade" with tool and grind marks, milled and tumbled. The bevels are lightly hand ground and slightly convexed after being milled.[/QUOTE]

Nathan, these are awesome, the performance will be hard to match by anyone, including the few who use this type of testing as a benchmark for performance.

I'm glad I got a knife from you when I did, I fear it'll be a long time before I can get another. I'll have to trade for one most likely but I don't see anyone wanting to trade theirs in the near future so I'll have to be content with the D2 Osage Skinner for now (believe me I'm very content and appreciative of the knife but damn those videos of the Light Chopper are killin' me. :).

11.jpg~original

Did you ever consider an entry level blade pre drilled so they could handle it themselves in their material of choice, it'll save you the time and effort that goes into handling the knives and even offer a base maybe tumbled finish passing on the savings to the end users making them a little more affordable. Believe me they are more than worth the price and ounce for ounce multiplied by performance far cheaper than anything made mid tech or custom. One last stab (pun intended) at makin' it a little more affordable, ver consider a lay away program so folks like me on fixed incomes could benefit from what you've been able to accomplish with the medium you work in, you sir are a metalartist a person capable of not only bringing out the beauty but coax the best possible performance out of an alloy.

I don't impress easily, I got to work in the custom metals industry for Howmet in Northern NJ for a few years as a mechanic/machinist and I got to see some crazy custom stuff they were making for the NASA and the military. They made the cast titanium turbine blades for the jets and they made a lot of replacement parts for the medical industry. A cool job to have but the 12 hour days were rough on a new dad and husband so I moved into the semiconductor industry where things were less hectic :rolleyes: . There was another job that exposed me to cutting edge (another pun ;) ) technologies and materials... I know I ramble but everyone knows that anyway like I said, I don't, after 40 years on the trades as a fabricator I've met a lot of people and seen some really cool stuff but you and your people just blow me away every time I log on and read about CPK.

At least I can say I knew Nathan when... I appreciate you gettin' in the trenches and seein' stuff from our aspect as end users to exploit as much from your alloys as is possible, you're a user Nathan, you use everything at your disposal and use it to it's limit, even then refining and tuning till for the moment there's nothing left to squeeze from the material. I'm done ramblin', done heaping well deserved compliments on you and I realize the logistics involved in a layaway plan are near impossible to deal with but ya can't fault a brother for tryin' ;). Continued success Nathan, you are the Metalartist of the 21st century and I just wanna say I knew you when and much well deserved props and much earned respect, in the community and the industry.

Can I get a CPK sticker now? ;) :)

Dan doing what Dan does, with an early prototype:

[video=youtube;TvUsh5FijcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvUsh5FijcY[/video]

Durability demo:

[video=youtube;yC2PLk_04vE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC2PLk_04vE[/video]

^ This has an outstanding combination of cutting performance, toughness and edge retention.

These are "field grade" with tool and grind marks, milled and tumbled. The bevels are lightly hand ground and slightly convexed after being milled.

Hey Ted it's great to see you in here! Thank you for the kind words. :thumbup:

What is the top one called? OD Micarta? Will it be available for future sales?

It is OD ("olive drab" green) Micarta. We've been trying out different stuff and ran a few pieces of it. That's used up and gone now but we have a full sheet on order from the manufacturer that will hit our dock in a few weeks. I like the material and plan to have it available on some future offerings.

Nathan, from what I have gathered from your posts, it seems to me that perhaps apart from offering some more of the EDC pattern, the next pattern in line for being offered is your iteration of a survival / camp knife. Thereafter, as you had also mentioned there are plans and perhaps W(s)IP for a folder, heavy chopper and a weapon. My question is what is the likelihood of a weapon to jump ahead of that line on your to-do-list big board? Needless to say that I am advocating a weapon over the other aforementioned plans but I realize that what I wish has little to no weight :D

Another question regarding the future weapon pattern: are you thinking more along the lines of your past Shiv pattern, the past Utility Fighter pattern or something different and perhaps in between (size wise)?

I don't have any real plans for a weapon. It may be a big ass pig shanker or a small dagger, or something else. *shrug* Unless America gets into another big shooting war I'll probably work on a lot of other projects before a weapon comes into queue again.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to weaponry, but in my mind, I can think of almost no knife better designed with that intention than the shiv. I just don't know how it could be improved upon, (not to mention that dagger!) and at this point I think its design is iconic enough to last for as long as Nate wants to build em

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to weaponry, but in my mind, I can think of almost no knife better designed with that intention than the shiv. I just don't know how it could be improved upon, (not to mention that dagger!) and at this point I think its design is iconic enough to last for as long as Nate wants to build em

How about a Kukri? They're great at chopping too.

Could not have said it better myself!! SHIV me

How about a Kukri? They're great at chopping too.

in my experience, and I've used LOTS of different sizes and shapes, the khukuri lends itself perfectly to the outdoorsman who would rather have one item to carry, as opposed to two, (hatchet and large knife)

the khukuri that I had Salem make for me is a prototype that was designed through the distillation of experiences using around a dozen differently sized and shaped khukuris. That it's very close in dimension to a gurkha's knife isn't really surprising, given what you'd imagine a gurkha would value in such an implement. If Nathan ever decides to produce a khukuri, and I'm involved in that, this would be what I'd submit to him;

the challenge of designing a khukuri around Nathan's manufacturing methods would be interesting. Weight distribution is key to the handling of a khukuri and helps counterbalance the negatives of the radically dropped edge, (lateral deflection). Traditionally, this is done by forging the blade to different thicknesses in different places, (fullering, basically) using very thick material at the ricasso, and tapering

a CPK khukuri would be a very unique knife, unlike any contemporary khukuri you're familiar with, in that it would handle like the real thing but incorporate the best of the materials currently available. I hope there's a potential future for it

in my experience, and I've used LOTS of different sizes and shapes, the khukuri lends itself perfectly to the outdoorsman who would rather have one item to carry, as opposed to two, (hatchet and large knife)

the khukuri that I had Salem make for me is a prototype that was designed through the distillation of experiences using around a dozen differently sized and shaped khukuris. That it's very close in dimension to a gurkha's knife isn't really surprising, given what you'd imagine a gurkha would value in such an implement. If Nathan ever decides to produce a khukuri, and I'm involved in that, this would be what I'd submit to him;

the challenge of designing a khukuri around Nathan's manufacturing methods would be interesting. Weight distribution is key to the handling of a khukuri and helps counterbalance the negatives of the radically dropped edge, (lateral deflection). Traditionally, this is done by forging the blade to different thicknesses in different places, (fullering, basically) using very thick material at the ricasso, and tapering

a CPK khukuri would be a very unique knife, unlike any contemporary khukuri you're familiar with, in that it would handle like the real thing but incorporate the best of the materials currently available. I hope there's a potential future for it

Is that Westinghouse Micarta?

Lorien, I am sure if you send it to Nathan he'll find out as to whether it's a Westinghouse or what not ;)

Back