The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

I am not going to tell anyone which knife is better by a mile!!

1475879827.1559.jpg

I've had this S90v mod 95 since March of 2012. It was from one of the first batches TNK
offered. I love the looks and build quality of Shirogorovs.

1uQmsHn.jpg

QDW2khf.jpg

That's a sweet 95, Rick! Same version as Lex's, but without the anodizing. Both knives have that little extra something while maintaining an understated elegance. Two :thumbup: :thumbup: for two nice ones.

I am not going to tell anyone which knife is better by a mile!!

Well, one's on top, so that must be a clue. :rolleyes: I've got some of each and like both for different reasons. I don't have to choose, do I?

I was a CRK collector long before I bought my first Shiro, but I absolutely love both companies. I would say they're similar in build quality. Both have their advantages compared to the other, and neither has many disadvantages (if any). Luckily they specialize in completely different areas - flippers and thumb studs - so there's no reason not to collect both.

Other than the risk of bankruptcy, of course. :)

Yeah, you could have a CRK thread entitled Chapter 7 and a Shiro thread called Chapter 11. We could show pics of the knives we used to own before were forced to live in cardboard boxes under bridges.

Hahaha. So true. Though we'd certainly get a lot of use out of our knives while scavenging for food and making shelter.

Seriously, that is one of the most beautiful knives I've ever seen.

Then you haven't seen this one yet.

This is my personal favorite, and it's a collaboration Sergey Shirogorov did with Brad Southard. Not my pictures, but I thought it deserved to be shared.

I'm not normally a fan of tanto blades for practical purposes, but this piece exemplifies what I love about Shirogorov knives. At first glance the design seems plain and simple; but upon further inspection the numerous details become apparent. I also love how the curvy organic lines contrast with the typical angular looks. A real grail piece here, since even if I could afford one I likely wouldn't be able to find one for sale.

b4f84c7c-e8d4-42f9-b31f-97c22baa33ec_zps6hbmoqle.png

145c151c-3136-4f27-a422-988b7003a885_zpszicey5yr.png

40cf73e1-8d3a-4b51-be08-27a7103b061d_zps278cw0y1.png

f485c51f-e1ae-4c6b-99d5-e95ca7688722_zps1ustkmoi.png

c4e1f7bb-afb3-4c6a-a2e2-80b31a7df344_zpslwlu4mcb.png

I got these photos from Sergey Shirogorov's Instagram. If he, or anyone, takes issue with them being posted here I'll gladly take them down.

Last edited:
That's a gorgeous knife, no doubt. I'd prefer the traditional blade shape personally. Shirogorov's blade shape on the Neon / Hati / 95 is one of the world's best, IMO.

alliuse - that's a beauty. Love how they do CF inlays.

Well, if I was gonna pick a grail Shiro, it would be this one
E3a2KgA.jpg

the Tom Mayo/Sergey Shirogorov Russian Dr Death collaboration.

I think I'm going in the other direction, though. My son keeps telling me I shouldn't buy knives I won't carry and use, and while I do carry my three Shiros, I use them damn lightly. I want a Shiro that will be a user for me like my other higher-end work EDCs--Wilson Combat Eagle, KnifeArt large Sebenza 21 CF, and new-to-me Hinderer 3.5" XM18 Spanto. I think a 95 Turtle, used from the secondary market would fit the bill to a T.

Like MaxFactor above, my pic is also leeched, though from the Shirogorov website. I'll gladly take mine down as well if Sergey or the Mods deem it inappropriate. It's certainly not my picture. If I bought a three-thousand-dollar knife I wouldn't need to be bankrupt to be living on the street. My wife would see to that in an instant. :eek:

Last edited:
Back