The Buckmaster 084. 420HC. G10 Scales. $800?!

We are discussing military fixed blades and having to explain how the wing attaches. WTF?? Hahahahah. Gamechanger!

I absolutely LOVE some Buck designs. Lately I love the 119's and am obsessed with the old school looking autos like the 112 and 110... but they do not always make durable designs... you may be able to take ten 119 Brahma stacked leathers and wiggle the hilt on all ten, but they are damn sweet to look at and do knife things. If you tried beat them like SYKCO gets beat they may not survive... something most certainly is gonna snap.

Do they make some sane bombproof knives? Yeah. I just bought a GCK Tanto in 5160 steel from a dealer for $110 shipped and I expect it is near indestructible just by looking at it. $110 :)

Last edited:
I just wonder as i bang my head against something hard. Is it that awful of a knife and concept or is it just the price seems way out of bounds? I mean materials are not premium so did taking so long in the R&D make it inevitable that the price would be an eye gouging experience for most of us?
I consider with the economic times we live in i suppose the price was going to be 40-50% higher just to keep pace with true inflation but it really does take many of us true Buck Collectors loyal to the brand and family out of the mix.

sO65CKS.jpeg
I actually used to carry mine camping way back in the day. I wrapped the handle in rubber tape to make it a lot more grippy and comfortable to hold. Never got to kill a bear with it though. They were probably too intimidated by my awesomeness from carrying such a badass blade:
I stabbed a good sized wild hog with mine way back when. I thought it was the coolest knife around until the moment the sawback got hung up on the ribs while the hog trying to spin and buck. That was the last time I used any knife with a sawback.

I just wonder as i bang my head against something hard. Is it that awful of a knife and concept or is it just the price seems way out of bounds?

Yes, yes and yes.

For me, it's the name. This is not a Buckmaster 2.0.

Where is the hollow handle ?

Why have a gimmicky detachable guard ?

Why not issue a version that has a sawback and or serrations on the spine and a version that does not ?

Tanto version ?

Premium steel would have been nice; don't tell me it would cost more than $800 !

If there is a realistic need to use the knife as an anchor, why not use the original concept, did it not work ?

Have the parts (anchor pins, additional handle length which could be screwed together, a d-guard attachment, etc.) as an optional stand alone purchase.

And it isn't that limited at 1,100 made. 100 for BCCI members plus this 1,000. I think the BCCI version is different in some manner ?

Finally, for me, I don't like holes in a blade. All my mind sees is weak points in the steel.

That is my 5 minutes of R&D

Last edited:
All good points. I just think 420HC is not a bad choice as far as corrosion resistance compared to some of the premium steels made for salt water that won’t hold an edge. Micarta is good but rubber handle would be better?
I’m not sure 1000 limited at $800 isn’t kinda slapping in the face the hard working men and women who own and use Buck knives and saying we are going to cater to the wealthy collectors that only buy to turn and make a buck no pun intended.
Should have made as many as the market would bear and at a reasonable $250-$399.99 10,15 20k or demands the limit.
Plus making 20,000 knives keeps employees living the American dream.

I see it a little differently. Not specifically about this Buckmaster 2.0. But, also about this Buckmaster 2.0.

A limited edition 100 or so knives, premium steel, premium price. It's for those who want it.

And also make a mass produced version with 420HC steel. Nothing wrong with 420HC. At a price in line with other Buck 420HC fixed blade knives.

To me, this Buckmaster is neither of these options. It is a blatant money grab. And, it isn't a Buckmaster ! : )

Problem is people are grabbing them but is the price they pay worth it. Not the $800 but the gut punch to those of us that think as you said a money grab.
Only way to make it cheaper now is send a contract to china and use 13mov steel plastic scales and black paint on the blade. No thanks!

If the whole "leave your knife that you transformed into an anchor in the coral underwater tied to 400 pounds of gear" is proven moot because no one will ever do that, like EVER (and that's why it costs $800)... could we get a full tang, no serrations, preferably a bowie tip, but if not sharpened on both sides, in S30V? Heck, make it coated M4 and call it the GCK 2.0 but only charge $250 and put the engineering into the Kydex sheath.

As far as Benchmade spending years engineering and planning and testing "the narrows" and BUCK doing R & D and I assume paying some Navy guys to give input.. that cost a lot of coin, sure. But did anyone wonder if they should do all that reinventing of the wheel. There is nothing new under the sun. That's why the 2.0 looks like a 1940's SCUBA knife with a optional batarang. If you could throw that thing, I'd be IN.

I just wonder as i bang my head against something hard. Is it that awful of a knife and concept or is it just the price seems way out of bounds? I mean materials are not premium so did taking so long in the R&D make it inevitable that the price would be an eye gouging experience for most of us?
I consider with the economic times we live in i suppose the price was going to be 40-50% higher just to keep pace with true inflation but it really does take many of us true Buck Collectors loyal to the brand and family out of the mix.
I mean, maybe it makes sense. Buck also has been selling $340 BUCK 112's

Yes that blew me away. I just bought the 112 that were just the normal anniversary models. With and without finger grooves. I like the 112 more than the 110 but not enough to ever pay that much.

Yes that blew me away. I just bought the 112 that were just the normal anniversary models. With and without finger grooves. I like the 112 more than the 110 but not enough to ever pay that much.
I got the Stealth Run 112 in Magnacut and it was not near that much... gorgeous 112.

i have no proof of this and it's only gut feel.....I feel like Buck has gone from a what do we need to charge, to a what can we charge model.....

it's a free market and i support that. plus if enough people want to pay the price than that's what the product is worth......so far it seems enough people are willing to pay it, so that's it's market value, right now.

I wonder though at what point does it hit the too much level. 950, 1k, 1.5k? im curious what the breaking point is on this product.......

Personally I don't get it, I love Bucks 420HC and don't understand why an $800 knife can't be made of 420HC.

I agree the knife seems too expensive but I just don't get why the blade steel makes it so.
I recently bought a knife many people would probably say should have a " better " steel for the price, so maybe it's just me.

Personally I don't get it, I love Bucks 420HC and don't understand why an $800 knife can't be made of 420HC.

I agree the knife seems too expensive but I just don't get why the blade steel makes it so.
I recently bought a knife many people would probably say should have a " better " steel for the price, so maybe it's just me.
Well speaking for myself... I was going by what BUCK marks up all knives where they upgrade the steel to Magnacut or S30V or similar. As far as what I think of 420HC... I just chose to start my 112 and 110 auto collection with the standard models (one was a standard 112 auto and the other is the standard 110 auto that has the custom bolster napping... $150 and $180 respectively in new condition - 2ndary market.

OdKdyUeh.jpg

My Buck slim 110 and 112 in canvas micarta were real real inexpensive as web special releases direct from BUCK. To me BUCK has been a real bargain brand where you may sacrifice some fit and finish and QC annoyances for USA made and real reasonable prices. For example, large fixed blades like a 119 for $70 or whatever. A solid and tough Ground Combat Knife in 5160 for $90 or $100.... etc... a $340 112 and a $800 084 seem like some new marketing strategy gone HORRIBLY awry to me. That's my opinion. I've been wrong before.

I do like to buy knives and I won't buy the 084, so more for others who love it. I also believe they will produce more than 1000. I think there will be variants and that Marketing will piss people off. I also know there is no guarantee the values will rise much and that's no good reason to buy a blade for me. If it does become well loved and sought after and remains rare because there are not lots of variants being announced each year, $2500 is my guess for a value. If not... $800. In general, I would not want BUCK to end up over-hyped and over-priced like some other brands are from dealers or on the secondary market. But anyone who enjoys lots of brands can vote with their wallets if a company goes in the wrong direction... and there will always be die-hard brand apologists spinning each release as a positive gamechanger.

I am not a BUCK hater by any means... some recent knives purchased were three BUCK 119's, two 112's, a 110, a bunch of OKC's, three SYKCO/Swamprat, a couple customs, tons of GEC, half a dozen Viper Italy. I would like to see BUCK as America's brand, and keep making their traditional affordable designs that they are good at making.

TLDR :)

Last edited:

Everything i understand about knife steel is there are 4 levels
Premium
High End
Mid Range
Budget
420 is at the budget steel level.
These are subject to debate and 420HC isn’t in there but i think 420 covers all 420?
I personally see a knife maker using 1095 in the forging of limited runs(maybe 15 or 20ct each Sunday) of his knives that look great but not paying $400-$700 for 1095 a budget steel.
That said he sells out in less than an hour. Good for him.

Everything i understand about knife steel is there are 4 levels
Premium
High End
Mid Range
Budget
420 is at the budget steel level.
These are subject to debate and 420HC isn’t in there but i think 420 covers all 420?
I personally see a knife maker using 1095 in the forging of limited runs(maybe 15 or 20ct each Sunday) of his knives that look great but not paying $400-$700 for 1095 a budget steel.
That said he sells out in less than an hour. Good for him.
I guess I just like 420hc too much to understand the " budget steel " concept.
I like it so much that I'd spend more for them if S30V became Bucks standard offering.
I fully understand that the cost of a production knife should be justified by it's materials to a degree, and honestly I'd say this knife is probably overpriced enough that the steel is a moot point.

I suppose I actually do get why people want a direct correlation to price and steels, but just don't agree with it because I simply don't care about " premium " blade steels.

Back