The chief likes to work.

Gizler00

Gold Member
So as most of you know, I sometimes use my knife hard. Well..harder than most I would say. The thing is.....I want to carry a knife that I am not afraid to use when the proper tool is not within reach.

Now....Some of you also know that I had a small inkosi that I loved and used A LOT. See thread here if you have not already: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1377132-24-hours-with-an-Inkosi

And you may also know that I sold the small to help fund a large. Which had to take a small trip back to the Mother ship for a brief touch up of the grind.

With all that being said....... I have already put quite a few miles on my Inkosi since getting it back last Thursday. My wife started tearing tile off of the bathroom wall while I was laid up with a rotator-cuff surgery and could not do anything for some time. So this weekend I was actually feeling good and the shoulder felt decent enough to tackle putting up some paneling and chair rail.

I used to use my small inkosi for everything and anything under the sun. Did not matter what it was or how bad it could have hurt the knife. Sounds crazy right.......well not really because the inkosi can take everything that I can possibly throw at it. (within reason) <------ this meaning, I would not pry bricks apart willingly. Well, if it was an emergency I would. But you get where I am going with this.

Anyhow, back on topic. I really gave the knife a workout yesterday while trying to get some things accomplished with the bathroom.

Feels right at home with all the other tools it was working next to.

Trimming out the paneling to fit around the light switch. The dremel battery went dead right after I scoured it and decided to finish the job with the inkosi. Easily sailed through the task.

After I cut the panel out, I used the edge to scrape out/trim out the opening. No damage at all to the edge and it still shaves hair.

Had to trim out the back of a piece to make it fit in another location and decided to use the Inkosi once again. Flawless... This knife just kept eating and eating it up without a hitch. The chief loves a good workout.

At one point, there was so much gunk in the pivot area and around the lock interface, I was a silent opener. Must be what an umnumzaan sounds like haha.

After all was said and done, It performed flawlessly and I can not be happier that this knife came back to me. I really loved, I mean really loved my small inkosi. But this large is taking it our relationship to another level. Haha.

Later last night I also managed to dent in the edge on a coffee mug that was in the kitchen sink. I was cleaning off the blade to cut up an apple and a few other things and smacked it right into the edge. Oh well....Not it has some character until the next time it needs a sharpening.

Just to be clear......None of this is Hard use to me, But rather a typical day using a knife as it should.

I will get out in the woods sooner than later and get some pictures of what the chief can do in that setting as well.

I love the 21. It is a perfect design. But I also love a knife that can take some serious hard work all day long and laugh at it. That is where the inkosi comes in. And surprisingly.....It cuts so much better than any other CRK I have had before. Except the Insingo.

All the characteristics of a CRK but with a Beefier blade and a finger grooved handle that fits my hand like a glove!!! Whats not to love. The Inkosi is officially my favorite line of CRK... We just need one with an insingo blade:D

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already, and pick up an Inkosi then put it to work. You will not be disappointed.

I feel your pain man. The Razor knife did all of the scoring of the green board. The Chief did pretty much everything else.

5uYFkIf.jpg

ZXWU1nW.jpg

RflfWvg.jpg

Love it! Just picked up a Small Inkosi last week and cant wait to get some more user marks on it. I am getting rid of my custom knives since I am tired of feeling like I need to baby them. This little guy will be treated like my phone, wallet, and keys. Something liberating about being able to set a knife down and not feeling the need to carefully place it down on a soft surface (What I did with my customs).

I am learning that enjoying things without babying them makes the item that much more enjoyable to own, and not own you.

Thank you guys for sharing!

I feel your pain man. The Razor knife did all of the scoring of the green board. The Chief did pretty much everything else.

5uYFkIf.jpg

ZXWU1nW.jpg

RflfWvg.jpg

Love it! Such a work horse of a knife.

Love it! Just picked up a Small Inkosi last week and cant wait to get some more user marks on it. I am getting rid of my custom knives since I am tired of feeling like I need to baby them. This little guy will be treated like my phone, wallet, and keys. Something liberating about being able to set a knife down and not feeling the need to carefully place it down on a soft surface (What I did with my customs).

I am learning that enjoying things without babying them makes the item that much more enjoyable to own, and not own you.

Thank you guys for sharing!

Thats exactly it! Its a knife that you need to work hard and not be afraid to scratch it up. Of course thats how I have been with all my CRK's...I just push the inkosi's a little farther than normal.

This thread pretty much made up my mind about making a large inkosi my first CRK. Now to decide whether or not to get one with inlays or just plain handles. Decisions, decisions.

This thread pretty much made up my mind about making a large inkosi my first CRK. Now to decide whether or not to get one with inlays or just plain handles. Decisions, decisions.

Awesome!! I prefer the plain Ti slabs. Simple, easy to clean, and never have to worry about an inlay coming off. Not sure that's a thing to worry about with these or not. Never had an inlaid Crk.

Kind of scary, I'm beginning to wonder if I am related to this guy.

So yeah I basically agree with Gizler.

DISCLAIMER, UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING, DO NOT KILL ME PLEASE

I personally just don't understand inlays myself. Now there are certainly a good few exceptions so let me clarify. I don't understand micarta as an inlay, simply because it is a porous material, causing it to absorb whatever it wants and change colors. Wood honestly doesn't bother me because it can be coated to protect from such things. Maybe Micarta can too, I dunno a ton about the material.

The other reason I like a plain knife is I am very much a vanilla guy. I like the idea, that I could walk into a hotel ladder-well, climb to the top, throw my knife against the wall and watch it bounce down every stair on it's way to the ground floor, walk down, pick it up and know anything that just happened to this knife can be bead blasted and fixed at a spa day.

As a second disclaimer, I think throwing your knife against a wall will void your warranty, so I wouldn't try it :p

The allure of micart for me has to do with me able to hang onto it when it's wet. Gives a little more purchase because I have huge hands..and can be reblasted to look like new without issue. It's also a great insulator against the cold.
It may soak up some things to an extent..but I don't believe it penetrates very far.

No need to justify your dislikes..the only person it has to please is you. I don't care for small sebenzas or mnandis. I can certainly understand why people have them..and I have had several of each over the years to only be sold off later.

Of course, these are my opinions and I am sticking to them. :)

The allure of micart for me has to do with me able to hang onto it when it's wet. Gives a little more purchase because I have huge hands..and can be reblasted to look like new without issue. It's also a great insulator against the cold.
It may soak up some things to an extent..but I don't believe it penetrates very far.

No need to justify your dislikes..the only person it has to please is you. I don't care for small sebenzas or mnandis. I can certainly understand why people have them..and I have had several of each over the years to only be sold off later.

How does it compare in grippiness to G10 when wet?

About the same

Interesting. One thing I think I would like about an inlay is when it's terribly hot outside, and you set the knife down in the sun, it's not going to be burning hot when you pick it back up. I experienced that when I was fishing last year with my boys. I set my insingo down and it sat for about 10 minutes in the direct sun light. It was near 100 outside. When I went to pick it back up to cut something, I could barely hold onto it because of how hot it had become. And like you said, the opposite would go for when it's cold. I like this feature, but still prefer the plain Ti.

Last edited:
Kind of scary, I'm beginning to wonder if I am related to this guy.

So yeah I basically agree with Gizler.

DISCLAIMER, UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING, DO NOT KILL ME PLEASE

I personally just don't understand inlays myself. Now there are certainly a good few exceptions so let me clarify. I don't understand micarta as an inlay, simply because it is a porous material, causing it to absorb whatever it wants and change colors. Wood honestly doesn't bother me because it can be coated to protect from such things. Maybe Micarta can too, I dunno a ton about the material.

The other reason I like a plain knife is I am very much a vanilla guy. I like the idea, that I could walk into a hotel ladder-well, climb to the top, throw my knife against the wall and watch it bounce down every stair on it's way to the ground floor, walk down, pick it up and know anything that just happened to this knife can be bead blasted and fixed at a spa day.

As a second disclaimer, I think throwing your knife against a wall will void your warranty, so I wouldn't try it :p

Funny. Brother from another mother......

I feel the same way. Just use it and allow the scales to develop some character.

Great info here as usual from you. Thank you sir!

Those pics are just beautiful, I think I may have a tear in my eye....

There will be more to come.

My Inkosi spent the day doubling as a super model and it's only real feat was getting stabbed into a piece of wood. Hope you did better then I did Gizler. Back to the clinic after the mud dries tomorrow.

My Inkosi spent the day doubling as a super model and it's only real feat was getting stabbed into a piece of wood. Hope you did better then I did Gizler. Back to the clinic after the mud dries tomorrow.

Haha.

I actually used mine quite a bit today. Unfortunately I was unable to get any pictures. I cut a ton of vacuum line for a truck we were working on. And broke some boxes down. The slabs are taking on some nice character marks!

I will be sure to get some action shots tomorrow.

Back