The Collected Works of Bill Martino – A work in progress

Howard Wallace

With Bill’s permission, I’ve collected a lot of his and Kami’s posts, and organized them, albeit kind of poorly. You can see them at http://www.tx3.net/~howardw/Khukuris/KhukuriFAQ.htm . Cliff has raised the idea of forum FAQs, and something like this might work.

I would like you forumites to take a look and offer advice. Do you think this will serve as a FAQ? Is all of the material appropriate? Is it too big? You will notice some places with incomplete information, like the khukuri styles page. I know we’ll need a sharpening section, which I’m hoping Cliff would write. I think user reviews of the various styles would be good also, but I didn’t have permissions, so I didn’t include them. Please record your comments and suggested changes in this thread.

Cliff, At least one of my private e-mails to you bounced. I’m not sure if any got through, but I solicited your comments earlier today (yesterday by the forum timestamp). If you are having trouble receiving mail you may wish to try one of the free web-based e-mail services like hotmail.

Excellent start! Very generous of you to do this.

I would like to see some specific information added about HI like Bio's of Bill and Kami, Shop 1 vs. Shop 2, importing of the knives, different models, etc. Maybe this is already there and I didn't look carefully!

Don,

Bios of Bill and Kami are towards the bottom of the page, under "HI Biographies." Some information on the shops is in the section called "reviving a tradition."

Perhaps the names should be more descriptive? Any ideas?

Please look at those sections and see if they're satisfactory.

Howard.

I love your proactive + creative effort!

I think there was a thread that shows pix of a Khukuri + names of each parts of it ie. Cho, sword of siva, recurve etc - very informative! - I guess that one shuld be included in maybe just after Introduction!

Howard,

This is a very nice collection. I like mohd's suggestion to include the thread which shows a Khukuri and names each part. As soon as we have sharpening information, it would look complete to me.

Thank you for puting this together.

Howard,
An excellent idea and well done! If Bill and Pala can't be persuaded to write The Book of the Khukuri, then the collected writings as FAQ is surely the next best thing. Thank you.
Berk

Howard, I will draft up a sharpening part an email it to you and you can change the format/style as desired.

As for my email's bouncing others have commented on this as well, if at all possible could you keep the bounced email so I can show it to my sysop and get the problem straightened out.

-Cliff

Howard,

Thank you for collecting and condensing the various pieces of information about the Khukuri. I would add, that in, or following the section on khukuri anatomy, there could also be notes on khukuri design considerations(eg. how form changes with function(fighter vs chopper), the issue of balance, etc.).

Harry

Mohd and Bob, Where is that thread on the parts of the Khukuri? I missed it in my review of the old threads, although I was looking for it. If either of you can supply me a URL I will see about including it. As I recall the artwork in that thread was the work of one of the forumites, so we may need permission to use it.

Kozak, Good idea about the design considerations. Were you thinking of particular old thread? If so, can you point to it? I don’t think this topic has been comprehensively covered in the forums. Certain subjects like this might be a fruitful source of debate in a new thread, to see what conclusions we can collectively arrive at.

Cliff, I’ll look forward to your input. When I get back to my office machine (probably Saturday) I’ll see if I can retrieve a copy of your bounced e-mail. It may be gone by now.

Howard, this is excellent!
Thank you for doing this.

--Mike L.

------------------
Real men ride Moto Guzzis!

Howard,

I can't recall any specific thread concerning design considerations. It has mostly been small bits here and there. I agree with you that this would be worthy of further discussion in this forum.

Harry

Howard, doing the BF stuff is wonderful. But we need to preserve the KF HI Forum archives too! Now THAT would take a year to whip into book form, but as long as it was preserved there would still be hope. I'm too computer illiterate to do that.

Howard,

Maybe we saw it somewhere else. All I could find is Bill's thread on THE CHO.

If I turn anything up, I'll post back.

Mohd, Howard, let's try this
Try #1 - ghorapani
Try #2 - ghorapani
Try #3 - abandoned as Cliff just posted the link in the above msg. I now understand why the #1 oxymoron for computer users is "Microsoft Works".

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 24 September 1999).]

The FAQ looks pretty good. I like that there are pix of the various styles all in one place.

------------------
Namaste,
Jeff Paulsen

"Oh, a magic khukuri. Why didn't you say so?"

Thanks for finding the diagram Mohd. I’ve e-mailed DZ requesting permission to use it. If I receive permission I will put it in the FAQ.

Rusty, I did review the KF forum posts also. I've used some of Bill's posts from there. There are some other good pictures and posts there, but again I think it best to get the permission of the authors prior to using them.

Bill and others, Are the pictures under the Dhankuta style correct?

[This message has been edited by Howard Wallace (edited 24 September 1999).]

Back