The first secret project -- the BirGorkhka Everest katana. Pix.

I would be definitely interested in acquiring one of these katanas, providing that the initial testing is favourable. Until then, I wait to hear Jim's and Broken Arrow's reports on the blade performance. I think that while this is going to be a very nice looking katana, functionality is also very important.

Are there any plans for a Japanese swordmaster to evaluate this blade's performance? I think it would be most interesting to hear his assessment.

Harry

------------------
L'audace, toujours l'audace!!!

The handle can be modified for those who might want this option. We can vary handle length up to 12 or 13 inches for those who want it. We can also add an inch or so to blade lenght if needed. But we need to keep the overall length to about 38 inches which should work. This is a shipping constraint.

The handle is full length tapered tang just like a khukuri tang and rivet thru in a couple of places. The handle is not going anywhere.

The day I left Kuman was playing with a double thickness brass tsuba. We can go to steel if required -- no problem there. If we use brass it will probably have a couple of dragons engraved on it.

This is a far step from a khukuri so I'm guessing blind that the price will be in the $350 to $400 price range.

All depends on how good this blade turns out. The first two may need a tune up so let's wait and see how they perform.

Many thanks to all for input and encouragement.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Bill, I need to ask one minor favor:

The next time you EMail Gelbu, have him take a rubbing of the original Tang's Japanese characters. Have him use a sheet of ordinary paper and a pencil. He should stick it in an envelope and send it bundled with the next batch of Khukuris. When you get it, scan it and post it on this thread?

One of the other regulars let me know in EMail that he can get a more complete translation.

And I've been looking, and can't find my rubbing, dangit. Sorry. Anyways, I think it'd be a nice "extra touch" that won't be too difficult.

Sorry for the bother but...I think it'll help a bit.

smile.gif

Jim

Jim, I hate to tell you this but the kamis experimented with the original tang and pounded it to a ten or eleven inch length -- the characters meant nothing to them and are now gone. It is a terrible loss but I neglected to tell them the characters were valuable. I had no idea they would experiment with the original but I had told them it was theirs to keep and use as a model.

------------------

Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHHAAA!

Ohhhh man. No big deal but...right about now there's some Nihonto purists reading this and just...freaking out. Totally losing it.

biggrin.gif

Oh well.

Jim

Question: did they get that "battle bulge" tip structure correct? That'll be more important than the ancestry of the original, really. It's one thing neither Paul Chen or Kris Cutlery have, never mind the Stainless crud.

I'll do up a pic of the tip structure later today, let everybody know what I'm talking about. Even the late Bob Engnath didn't get that part right...and it matters. A lot. I've handled an Engnath.

Jim

Uncle,

It's me, nephew Joe from HK, want to know the Japanese Characters. Besides being a HI virus sufferer, I am also a Nihonto nuts. I have to admit that I said, "ARHH!!" when I read that the Kamis pounded on the tang of the sword. No big deal! But nexttime you want a model, I can mail you a wooden model that is 100% to the original that is in my collection. Normally I have two sheaths for each sword, one is called shirasaya (used to store the sword), the other is call Koshirae (used to show off
wink.gif
). For every Koshirae, I'll have a wooden sword inside just to keep the parts of the koshirae together and keep the inside of the koshirae out of oil. I'll be more that happy to send one of these.

Jim,

From the description of your email, most probably the place the smith lived is "mino".
If the sword is in military scabboard then most probably it is a modern-made sword. But also very often, when the family was sending their son to war, they'll pull out the poor quality issued sword, modify the tsuka(handle) and put in their family treasure.

Sorry for the long rant!

Joe Leung

Hey Jim,
Have you seen Michael Bell and Francis Boyd's work? Michael is a close friend of mine. Both of them studied under Nakajima Muneyoshi. Their work has fooled many Japanese experts/collectors. Their blades do have the bulging profile near the tip.

Hello Uncle,

That forumer who wanted to read the inscription on the tang is me, nephew Joe from HK.

It's ok as I've read the above postings. But still I can't help saying "Arhhh!!" and my nurses think I was mad.

I am a die-hard Nihonto nuts (besides being a HI viruse sufferer)and have quite a collection up to now. Email me in case you need wooden templates. Almost each sword I owned has one becase it is the way to preserve the Koshirae (using scabboard). The swords itself is in Shirasaya (storage scabboard). I'll more than happy to send them in case you need that in the project.

norimitsu Length:62.8cm thickness at habaki:8mm width at habaki:3.2cm
AizuKanetomo Length:74.5cm Width at habaki:3.45cm

Joe

Bill,
Welcome back. I'm glad that you had a safe and productive trip. Yep, that is my little pix on the wall over kumar's shoulder. Nice sword as well.
Best as always,
Leo

I had no idea the kamis would attack the model I gave them or I'd have certainly told them to leave it be. Again, the fault is mine but kamis are very, very hard to outguess.

The upside is I have high hopes for the project after seeing what the kamis did while I was there. The sarkis were complaining bitterly about the difficulty of making a suitable scabbard for this HIBG katana but I think they will get it done.

After Jim and Broken Arrow get the first two prototypes and give us feedback on what tuneup needs to be done I think we'll be up and running.

I did tell both Kumar and Bura the importance of the "bulge" near the tip and the one they made while I was there had it unless they polish it off! We'll get this right, no worry.

As always, idea, input welcome.

------------------

Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

[This message has been edited by Bill Martino (edited 02-25-2000).]

Bill, as I hope you can see from the interest so far, this IS worth getting right.

Later today I'll post some links so people can see what else is available in a sub-$1,000 Katana. It's not going to be hard to understand why this baby might end up being a major seller far beyond the current "Khuk-nut" market.

There's been much talk lately of raising the average-dollar-per-blade of HI pieces, without raising prices on current product. High-end stuff like this, the Kothmoda and others will help bankroll setting up a fully-staffed-and-equipped US distribution and marketing arm.

Jim

This is by far the most interesting thread I have read here in a long time. I thought of adding the number of posts you guys have -but the result kinda got me confused ..
biggrin.gif

Anyway - I would definitely get a katana like that if the price range will be in the sub 500 $. or even a little bit over it
wink.gif

Man - it has been a lone time since I held a real katana in hand and the one I did which belongs to my gunsmith, was bought some years ago and is circa 1600. When you swing it in the air it feels like it has a life all of its own - which of course it does
smile.gif

anyway - I will talk to my sensei who has been practicing kendo and aeido (sp?) and ask his opinion.

We may have some tweaking to do but I think we can produce a decent katana. There is much more talent in BirGorkha than I realized until I went and saw for myself. We are going to give this project the old BirGorkha try.

Many thanks for input and help. I'll need more since I am a katana neophyte.

------------------

Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

JoeL, those are some BEAUTIFUL pics. Check your email.

And put me on the list of those who are interested in these blades. I just checked and the bokken I play with is just over 28" if you measure from "guard" to tip--meaning that brass piece Jim talked about would be counted as part of the length.
Since Jim's original concept was a blade he could mount, are there any plans to sell blades alone? If that allows a lower cost or the shipping of a longer blade I'd be all for it, 'cause I like my long blade and I'd like a longer handle as well. Just a thought. I don't know who I'm kidding, this would be my first choice among katanas anyway.

Hmmmm . . . I think I want one!
biggrin.gif

Don't know what I'd do with it but . . . .

Maybe slice and dice a large loaf of bread, even more effectively than that CS Vaquero Grande!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
This sword is DA BOMB!
I must have one as soon as they are perfected.
How about a matching kukri to go with the katana? With matching handle, fittings, scabbard, etc...?

And PLEASE....
Do not let word of this get out to the fanatics on swordforums until we all have ours. Once all those guys find out, they will be on backorder for years!!!!

Peace-
Orion

Back