The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

Welcome back, Vance. 😉

There's been a rash of mung-related indiscretions lately. Some of us older-and-wiser types maybe haven't been as patient and helpful, and some of us newer-and-not-sure-how-things-work types have perhaps not picked up on the rules as quickly as the first type would like. Tension mounted. This has been a light hearted attempt to keep civility and respect at the heart of our little community.

Take it or leave it, it's all in good fun. But stay away from M4. He's got to be contagious. Worst mung outbreak I've ever seen.... 😏

Michael

i dont know what mung is....but this is all that comes to mind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

Hahaha.

Mung IMO is when someone posts comments in the Flea Market that have nothing to do with the knives that are up for sale. This usually results in actual sales posts being pushed back and attracting less attention. Not a big deal, but it kinda is when you're in a pinch to move a blade with haste. I'm no angel though. I'm guilty of doing it.

I guess people could always post their blades up on the exchange and out of the eyes of fellow Fiddlebacks, but then why have a Flea Market?

Last edited:
gotta change my avatar now...sold my camp knife

broke up the matching trio

i dont know what mung is....but this is all that comes to mind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

Not 100% sure, but I might have initially introduce the term "mung" to the cluttering up of the flea market. In my line of work (software development) we use the term when a bunch of changes are made to some feature or program and it becomes unrecognizable for what it was originally meant to do. I thought it applied to a thread that was meant for one thing (selling and buying Fiddlebacks) but transformed into a common chat thread.

Not 100% sure, but I might have initially introduce the term "mung" to the cluttering up of the flea market. In my line of work (software development) we use the term when a bunch of changes are made to some feature or program and it becomes unrecognizable for what it was originally meant to do. I thought it applied to a thread that was meant for one thing (selling and buying Fiddlebacks) but transformed into a common chat thread.

Yes it was you. I had to do an internet search for it after you said it cause I had never heard it before. I figured you were referring to the programmer definition. I think "modified until no good" was what I read it stands for. If you go to urban dictionary, there are some other definitions, which I presumed you were not referring to.

If we want to be finite, there's probably too much mung in the Fiddleback Friday threads as well.

Yes it was you. I had to do an internet search for it after you said it cause I had never heard it before. I figured you were referring to the programmer definition. I think "modified until no good" was what I read it stands for. If you go to urban dictionary, there are some other definitions, which I presumed you were not referring to.

Ugh, please don't refer to the urban dictionary definitions. :eek:

Here's pretty much where I'm coming from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_(computer_term)

As someone who isn't a software developer, the only way I have ever heard it used is definition #1 on urban dictionary. It is pretty funny to see what is easily one of the most offensive slang terms being constantly thrown around in here. I now know the correct meaning (computer term) but it's burned in my mind as the other definition. That said, carry on the mung...

I really wanted to say this on the flea market thread, but I refrained....

I can't believe how much burlap is just sitting on the flea market right now!!!!

If you had the cash you could have an instant collection of nice woods and burlaps, with most of the best models. I can't believe how different it is right now from when I tried to get some of these knives for months. Unreal. I also think if 80% of those knives on the flea market where offered in the Friday feading frenzy they would be gone in seconds.

I am blown away by this.

Last edited:

I can't believe how much burlap is just sitting on the flea market right now!!!!

If you had the cash you could have an instant collection of nice woods and burlaps, with most of the best models. I can't believe how different it is right now from when I tried to get some of these knives for months. Unreal. I also think if 80% of those knives on the flea market where offered in the Friday frading frenzy they would be gone in seconds.

I am blown away by this.

I agree buddy it's crazy to see all that shadetree. Ebbs and flows

If you had the cash you could have an instant collection of nice woods and burlaps, with most of the best models. I can't believe how different it is right now from when I tried to get some of these knives for months. Unreal. I also think if 80% of those knives on the flea market where offered in the Friday frading frenzy they would be gone in seconds.

I am blown away by this.

I agree with your observation Tod. Six months ago almost everything on the Flea Market sold almost immediately. Now many nice things sit unsold for quite a while and go through one or more price markdown(s) before they sell. There are some there now that I would buy if they were not duplicates of nice ones I already have. I think that may be the story with many of the more established members. I think the ebb & flow of the flea market has a lot to do with the number of customers who are new to Fiddleback. The high number of non-value added posts in the Flea Market also detracts from visibility for the sellers.

Beyond the Flea Market, the whole vibe of the forum in general seems different to me than just a month or so ago. Maybe it is because Summer is over, I don't know. I just notice that there are a lot fewer threads with interesting knife content and/or reviews or compare & contrasts of models, etc. Bud's mid-week photo tours of the shop have been the only consistent content that I look forward to. Other than that, the Monday thru Thursday content has been a little lacking to me. I guess I need to get going on another review so that I am part of the solution rather than be a whiner. I just can't decide which model to do next.

Phil

Last edited:

If you had the cash you could have an instant collection of nice woods and burlaps, with most of the best models. I can't believe how different it is right now from when I tried to get some of these knives for months. Unreal. I also think if 80% of those knives on the flea market where offered in the Friday feading frenzy they would be gone in seconds.

I am blown away by this.

Oh yeah, it's getting ridiculous! A Leuku, Camp knife, Recluse and all that shade tree available is unbelievable!

Back