The Grand Unified Grit Chart

I'm not sure if I missed it or not but what category would the Norton India coarse/fine stone fall under?

Sorry, guys, for the crazy amount of inactive I've been! During a reformat, I ended up losing about a year worth of revisions to the chart, back to about REV-A or so. I'm working on re-creating it in Excel now, and I'm going to make the latest version available in a Google Doc spreadsheet once it's done so anyone can save a copy off and play with it if they want.

EDIT: Ah HAH! Reading back through the thread, I had a face-slap moment, and realized that I'd sent half a dozen copies of the Excel file around at various points, including the latest version! "Sent Items" in my Gmail coughed up a full copy of the latest version. :D

Last edited:
Sorry, guys, for the crazy amount of inactive I've been! During a reformat, I ended up losing about a year worth of revisions to the chart, back to about REV-A or so. I'm working on re-creating it in Excel now, and I'm going to make the latest version available in a Google Doc spreadsheet once it's done so anyone can save a copy off and play with it if they want.
I have Rev-D on my computer. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I actually just got REALLY lucky! Thanks for the offer, man, I appreciate it. :)

I *think* this should be a view-able Google Docs spreadsheet, I just pulled in all the Excel data and reformatted it for easier reading:

LINK!

Works for me!

Now it just needs some of the Nubatama Bamboo stones for the EP on there...

I actually just got REALLY lucky! Thanks for the offer, man, I appreciate it. :)

I *think* this should be a view-able Google Docs spreadsheet, I just pulled in all the Excel data and reformatted it for easier reading:

LINK!

Thanks, for your efforts.

Rupert

Hey, glad you find it useful, Rupert. :)

Maybe Ken can dig up some info on the grit sizes for those... or at least an approximation so I can add it as an "approximate" value.

Wondering if we could change the BRKT black compound to 15-22 microns, that is based on experience and HeavyHanded's up close look at the abbrasives in the black compound bar. He saw a range of 10-30 microns with the most fallinbg into 15-22 microns. Certainly the current 4 micron rating in the chart is incorrect. If I had to choose a grit size I'd say 20 micron!

LINK!

Thanks, awesome!

Komitadjie,

I have to thank you to the point of a hug (which I normally reserve for my accountant at tax time, and even then he stiffens up as I come across his desk...) for making and revising this chart. I have referred to it personally perhaps hundreds of times, at least once per week even on a slow week.

It makes possible reliable predicting across formats - has saved me a lot of grief and is a big aid in putting together progressions when multiple media are involved.

Martin

Hey, glad it helps you out! Mostly I made it for myself for that exact reason, to be honest. :)

So, we have a suggestion on the table to move BRKT Black to 20 microns. Do we have some supporting documentation on that, or some first-hand measurement results? :)

Here's a marked up micrograph of some broken down and suspended in oil. Comes in a range, but 20 micron is about the median.

barkriver_k_100x_Scaled_Markedup_zps8ec0f521.jpg

Looks pretty solid to me, I've moved BRKT Black to an approximate 20 microns. Thanks for the info, HH!

Hey friends,

Not sure if I missed something, but when I click the link on first post I'm taken to a google spreadsheet which is blank except for the most top left cell which is filled out with th word 'GRITCHART'. Any way to still get access to the chart?

Hi all,
It does not work here either, I experience the same things that ashman345 does, i.e. no data :-(

Hm... I wonder if my Win 7 64-bit paranoid Firefox settings are to blame? I'll check on other computers:
Second computer (Linux & Firefox): does not work either.
Third computer (Win7 32-bit, IE): does not work either.
Logging in to Google docs does not help.

Last edited:
Back