The Lone Ranger: 112 Dedication Thread

TAH

Gold Member
There's been a lot of chatter and interest in the 112 lately. I highly encourage you to post in the other current 112 threads. This thread isn't as specific. Thought I'd give a platform to this cool, compact lock blade that isn't quite as popular on the open market as its big brother, but has a strong following among knowledgeable Buck enthusiasts. This thread is for everything 112 related. Feel free to share photos, stories, information, etc.

Here is mine. I call it the "Lone Ranger" because it's the only 112 I own, but it has been with me since 1973 (age 12) on many adventures. My first "real" knife.

r8c82xc.jpg

My FIRST Buck knife was a 112 cousin, the 422, does that count? Purchased in the 1980's at Service Merchandise, a catalog showroom store. $11 or $12 sticks in my mind. I carried it for many years vertically in my back pocket held in place by my wallet. It was my only knife except for a collection of Crosman Blades (because I collected Crosman airguns). Have cleaned more than a few squirrel and fish with it and opened a million envelopes and boxes. Holds an edge forever. I am amazed the the blade is not scratched or worn for the amount of use it has had. Olive drab with the unique 1987 ">" with a dot in the center. It would be another 20+ years when I became a Buck collector that I would even know what that symbol meant. These days I'm more of a pocket clip fan and have not carried it in many years. I still have it... somewhere. The sheath is like new because I never used it. I'll add a picture today when I figure out what drawer it is in. /Roger

Last edited:
My FIRST Buck knife was a 112 cousin, the 422, does that count? Purchased in the 1980's at Service Merchandise, a catalog showroom store. $11 or $12 sticks in my mind. I carried it for many years vertically in my back pocket held in place by my wallet. It was my only knife except for a collection of Crosman Blades (because I collected Crosman airguns). Have cleaned more than a few squirrel and fish with it and opened a million envelopes and boxes. Holds an edge forever. I am amazed the the blade is not scratched or worn for the amount of use it has had. Olive drab with the unique 1987 ">" with a dot in the center. It would be another 20+ years when I became a Buck collector that I would even know what that symbol meant. These days I'm more of a pocket clip fan and have not carried it in many years. I still have it... somewhere. The sheath is like new because I never used it. I'll add a picture today when I figure out what drawer it is in. /Roger

I say it counts! It has the same blade as a 112, much like its younger cousin the Buck 112 LT.

My first "real" Buck was a 422 that my father gave to me in the mid 1980s. It saw a lot of belt time and use for a few years, including an incident when I severed a 1" hanging manila rope with it to prove to some buddies that sharp + hand speed + technique can sometimes substitute for blade length.

Here's a pic of a replacement I received as a giveaway on another forum. It helped me make the feather stick shown next to it.

9iFb4xR.jpg

The 442 definitively counts - it's all in the family. Enjoyed the story, Roger. 👍

Back