The Lone Ranger: 112 Dedication Thread

0AQNwtOl.jpg

Economics of scale..The 110 has literally sold millions and had a 10 year head start. Plus for many years it was and is Bucks best seller and in some ways a loss leader. But I think because Buck offered the 110 in so many variations in steel, blade profiles, handle material, especially high end and SOLD every single one the little brother the 112 lagged behind even as it's popularity and sales slowly increased. Basically I feel it is just as good as a 110 in actual use for 99% of tasks we use a knife for. In some places in the USA and for sure in other countries more than a 3" blade is frowned upon or even illegal..
I'm excited the 112 is finally taking it's rightful stand in Bucks plans and lineup. Especially as a collectable! Since 2007 when I first started collecting and in 2009 when I started displaying the odd ones I've seen more LE's,steel choices and blade profiles, Customs and 1 of 1 high end Customs and just choices period. Even for advanced collectors there's still challenges and mysteries to solve. And great rarities and variations to find. And I hate to say it since I'm still chasing them hard prices are creeping up. New 112 collectors are finding and actively looking for the good stuff but the biggest change I see is more one of one Customs as folks start making what they want. But some things 112 will ALWAYS be hard to find for example Old numbered Custom shop and Damascus knives and especially early S30V and very limited drop point 112's. Fancy 112's from the 70's 80's and 90's..I still don't know exactly when and how many Damascus 112 blades were made. Early Nickel silver frames up to around 2000 are hard to find.
I think early safety award and advertising 112's are really interesting and for years found them inexpensive and fun to chase.
I would love to see what the real numbers are from Buck especially the ratios of 110's to 112's sold but I'm sure the 112 is gaining s-l-o-w-l-y..

Bucklite 112 with US issue lensatic compass on the Appalachian Trail. Sadly the knife, compass, and entire backpack is gone - my wife and I have searched everywhere - gone for two and a half years now, must have been stolen out of my car but I didn’t realize it until too late to backtrack. OH
Buck_112_with_US_Army_Lensatic_Compass.jpg

Hey!

The handle is ivory which was done by LR, the scrim by Dale. There is no spacer it’s scrim pattern.

Thanks
I thought for sure it handle material was polished stag with light bark showing on top. Being ivory with a scrimmed "spacer" is even better. Thanks! 👍

The 112 is my favorite Buck model. A story I've shared before but can't resist typing out again, it was my troop's tradition in the late 70s to present a 112 to each new Eagle Scout. No engraving or anything fancy, just a stock model the scoutmaster would purchase from the sporting goods store. Quite a motivator, that 112. I still recall opening the box, examining the knife for the first time, and putting the sheath on my belt. Everything about it just seemed "right."

Not long after we moved from Arizona to Alaska. I joined an active outdoor troop, backpacking and camping at least once a month and twice in December. The 112 performed well for every task and in every condition. The only time it wasn't with me in the outdoors was when I swapped it out occasionally with a 102 (another great Buck).

Though that original 112 is long gone, I've got a replacement from the same era. A darn fine knife.

Back