The "Name that Plant" Game

There has been a bunch of great threads on useful, edible, and poisonous plants around here, but for some reason they always seam to fall by the wayside.

In a Survival situation; knowing your edible or medicinal plants can be the difference between life and death. Many of us know how to hunt, but hunting burns a lot of energy and sometimes with out reward. I think Kevin Estela said it best with this; “I never seen a plant run away from anybody”.

So since we all like games, lets try to make a one out of a very rewarding subject.

Here are the rules, yes every game needs rules.

I will post a pic of an edible, medicinal, or Poisonous plant, tree, or shrub. I will tell you where it grows and how tall it is. The picture will not be blurry or from far away. It will have key identification points in it.

Someone has to correctly identify the plant with common name and scientific name. They also have to tell us if it is poisonous, edible, or medicinal.

If its edible; what parts are edible, etc….
If Medicinal; how, etc….
If poisonous; why, etc….

The person who guesses correct will post the next useful or poisonous plant, tree, or shrub. The pics you post must contain identification points. If you post a tree; we need detail shots of leaves, bark, etc. Pictures do not have to be your own, you can find them on the web… Oh, and try to keep the pics sized at or under 800x600 (15" screen)

If this goes as planned we should have a lot of fun and more importantly learn a lot.

Mods, can a brotha get sticky???

Here's the score:

Barberfobic-1
Rescue Riley-1
sufu- 1

Here’s the 1st one. Its native to Eastern North America. Usually found in moist to dry woods and thickets. Pretty common on flood plains or near shores or streams on sloping ground. Average height is about 6-18 inches

And if you’re lucky enough to find one flowering..

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun, and educational to boot. Good job, GS. BTW, excellent pictures of the flowers, yours?

I'll play later, but I have to get ready for work right now. Looking forward to seeing lots of posts later. :thumbup:

GP

Sounds like a lot of fun, and educational to boot. Good job, GS. BTW, excellent pictures of the flowers, yours?

I'll play later, but I have to get ready for work right now. Looking forward to seeing lots of posts later. :thumbup:

GP

Thanks GP,

No the flower pic is not mine. I have yet to catch that plant flowering..:eek:

And its too late this year... (hint, hint)

Thanks GP,

No the flower pic is not mine. I have yet to catch that plant flowering..:eek:

And its too late this year... (hint, hint)

Hey GS, I'm not sure what you're hinting at, but if it's for another picture of that plant, I only have one on Photobucket and if anybody clicks 'Properties' on the picture, it will give it away.

If I misunderstood, you'll have to be a little more forthcoming with your hint.

GS

Hey GS, I'm not sure what you're hinting at, but if it's for another picture of that plant, I only have one on Photobucket and if anybody clicks 'Properties' on the picture, it will give it away.

If I misunderstood, you'll have to be a little more forthcoming with your hint.

GS

No, not for another pics. I was under the impression that this plant's flowers bloom in early spring and go dormant in the Summer. Am I mistaken?:eek:

Can I guess? Please huh.
Oldman/Marty

Haha! Sure Marty, but you may need to look up the plants uses etc. If you pm me I can give you that for a small fee:p

Seriously, Go for it Marty. Its always an honor to have you teach us about a plant. But remember to post a pic of a different plant when your're done:thumbup:

If I'm not mistaken Marty has used this plant to successfully treat a sick dog.

No, not for another pics. I was under the impression that this plant's flowers bloom in early spring and go dormant in the Summer. Am I mistaken?:eek:

No, you're not, but I didn't know what you were getting at.

No takers, yet????

Doc

blood root it is very poisonous and has a blood like substance inside that oozez when broken ,can be used topically 4 anti fungal and warts. it eats skin slowly i think im trying some right now on a toe nail

im sorry but how do you post pictures here?

Nice Job Sufu:thumbup: For those that like scientific names; Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)

To post a pic you need to host it on a website like imageshack.com

Its free, but if you don't want to go through the trouble you can email me your pic and I can post it for you.

My email is amontero@sleepetc.com

If I'm not mistaken Marty has used this plant to successfully treat a sick dog.
Theo,
You are pretty close. We have a cat that the vet gave said had a couple of months to live because of a cancerous tumor that was growing in his right ear.
We made a tincture of Bloodroot and began treating him for a couple of months. That was about 3 years ago. When we took him back to the Vet for his shots the Vet was amazed. The cat is doing fine. The tumor disappeared. We left for the summer and couldn't continue with the treatments and the tumor grew back but not as large. We just started treating him again. This time we will follow through with it. He is 14 years old and doing fine otherwise.
Bloodroot has fantastic anti-tumor properties.
Oldman/Marty

I think both Marty and DocCanada are officially banned from participating. It is like both have a mental answer key to this contest! haha. You guys would be very lucky to retain a fraction of the amount of knowledge both of these men have in edible/medicinal plants.

I'm kidding about the banning of course. Great thread Tony!

Banning Marty or Doc from this thread would cause this to sink faster than the Titanic. I would have thought more people would be interested.:(

Maybe if I post a pic of a knife with ach plant....:rolleyes:

We will try this. We will run this game till the December. The person with the most correct answers wins a knife from my collection (my choice).

Maybe that will get more participation of this crew.

Remember, when a person guesses correct, they have to post their own pic, excluding them from answering that one. So it will take quite a few participants to win. and correct answers have to give not just the name, but details on the plants uses or poison.

If we don't hear from Sufu by 1pm, I'll post another pic. It will still count as a correct answer from Sufu.

I can post one to keep it moving if you like... than sufu can can take the helm when he chimes in...Also if this progresses it would make a great sticky to have as a resource.

Back