The "Name that Plant" Game

You can post one when you answer correctly :p No special treetment for you just because we've shared the same oxygen:eek:

I'll find a pic and post it in a lil bit.

Sufu still gets a correct answer so I don't think he will be upset. If he is, it won't be the first time someones been pissed at me... :D

:LOL good enough. although your wife might admit that you and I have shared more than oxygen..........:)

What??? I was talking about burgers...

Last edited:
Ouch John!!

Ok here's an easy one. This plant prefers moist soils and shady areas. But also found along roadsides. It grows up to 5 feet tall. Should be a pretty easy one, and is definately a plant we all should know.

Hmm looks like jewel weed. (imatiens capensis) can be used to treat poison ivy, and other mild irritations

Ding ding John. Please put the scientific name in your post and post your pic.

Jewelweed will also take the sting out of stinging nettles. Its really good for any skin irritation!

Cool plant, since it grows in close proximity to the poison ivy, oak, and stinging nettles....

previous post edited with scientific name...
here's a good one..ususally blooms in late spring to late summer.. in disturbed wetlands or may sprout as scattered individual plants in drier areas..There are often flowers or seed clusters as well at the top of the stalks( depending on the season) above the leaves.. but these where taken early in the season..however the leaves are what gives it it's name
PICT0007-12.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the flower to the plant Riley posted. Maybe that helps. But John gave a great hint about the plant being named after the leaf.

Hmm looks like jewel weed. (imatiens capensis) can be used to treat poison ivy, and other mild irritations

Sorry to be a nitpicker, RR, but it's Impatiens capensis. And good on you for using binomials. :thumbup:

It's also supposed to be an edible plant, although I have never tried it. It's ediblility comes with a caution.

Tony, do you think that people having to give the plant's uses might be scaring them off? I was thinking that the person posting the picture, also providing the uses might be less intimidating? Just a thought.

Doc

Tony, do you think that people having to give the plant's uses might be scaring them off? I was thinking that the person posting the picture, also providing the uses might be less intimidating? Just a thought.

Doc

Ok GP, Sounds fine. The person posting pics will from now on give the uses.:thumbup:

I just went out in the yard and found three usful plants, here is one:
3626218808_69d4e9c6db.jpg

Indians used it to prevent sickness after eating meat that was possibly spoiled. Grows in wooded areas, primarily in the north east. Likes a moist and shady enviroment. Grows from about 6 to 10 inches tall.

Here is a fact that might give it away: It's flowers grow at the base of the plant.

Last edited:
Brendan, can you tell us a lil about it. Where it grows, how big, etc.?

Maybe a closer pic of the leaf.

Back