The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

Certainly agree with that Lyle :thumbsup:

But all Farmer's Jacks are exceptional, both great & small :cool:

Wp6Adii.jpg

Thanks, Will
Cool knife Will!
Who made it??

Lyle, your Lick creek versions are beautiful. WHEN I track some down I will be posting!
With the prices I've seen, I've thought about selling my own, but not too seriously .
I am sometimes pococurante ( I tried to find a word I couldn't find in my mind to describe myself) about knives until I see or here of a different or new farmers jack or I hear from Bill Howard.
I then become obsessed, the farmers jacks consume me and I feel they are all related to my collection.

With the prices I've seen, I've thought about selling my own, but not too seriously .
I am sometimes pococurante ( I tried to find a word I couldn't find in my mind to describe myself) about knives until I see or here of a different or new farmers jack or I hear from Bill Howard.
I then become obsessed, the farmers jacks consume me and I feel they are all related to my collection.

Lyle, I get what you mean. I have been there at times too. Then something comes along and gets my juices flowing again. I have said this time and time again, but man do I wish I had found GEC a few years before I did in 2018...

Will can certainly dress up for a photography session. I had a double take on that exquisitely attired camel shin.
Thanks Lyle, actually, it's not too different from the real thing- just put a filtre on it. The Bone is really smooth and speckled, feels almost like stone- those Camels are tough brutes! If you get the chance on one of these Tidioutes I'd recommend it. Fine user.

Not that it holds a candle to those gems you just showed; the Rhidian is arresting and that Stag from the dark by Ken E. Such a pity he no longer makes knives, I'd love to see chequered Horn or Ebony get a come-back but it's a rare and likely vanished art.

Many thanks, Will

A comparison of different makers pruner grinds. Schrade had different grinds on similar era knives and multiple selections.

2F125D7D-E1F9-4FA5-BC21-9ED1A88ED4B4.jpeg

Top row left to right
1.Schrade French ivory
2. Schrade CUTCO
3. Schrade CUTCO
4. Schrade CUTCO
5. Utica rooster.
6. Cut sure by Utica.
7. Camillus rooster.
8 Remington?
9. Schrade CUTCO rooster
10 Schrade cut Cole shadow peach pruner.

Bottom row
L-R
1.HSB-NYK
2.Ulster
3.DE-Empire
4.Valley Forge
5.H Boker
6.Simmons HDWE- English or German no country of origin, but the pressed stag indicates European
7.Wester Bros
8. Krusius Bros
9. Henckels
10. Wostenholm

Oh, I think the New York knife, Henckels , and
Wostenholm bear similar resemblances with the New York knife, being larger, but similar in shape.

Do you have a favorite pruning blade among these?

Last edited:
Back