The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

The Michell German knife and the T Hessenbruch , both Philadelphia companies , seem to be of the same parentage. Again ,the T Hessenbruch has a great logo stamped on the pile side of the blade, "Will Bear Inspection", a bear with a stick(?).

View attachment 2193224

View attachment 2193216
Very interesting examples Lyle, finely rounded Ebony on those handles. :cool:

The Bear stamp is amusing but it may have a heraldic connexion. A Bear holding a staff can often be found on coats of arms or heraldic flags. Might be a tribute to the makers' German origins?

Thanks, Will

I've added a couple of new ones by subtraction of a really nice one.
J S Holler Adolph Blaich San Francisco
IMG_2477.jpeg

W G Whiting Manchester Sheffield made for this high end department store. Most likely related to this Clements farmers whittler with it below ( another high end Department store)
IMG_2476.jpegIMG_2495.jpeg

Last edited:
Two outstanding new arrivals Lyle, I can see why you decided to corner that particular part of the market.

Lyle out of interest, a couple of questions Sir……. When did you decide to start homing in on the Farmers Jack Pattern?
Do you have any other stronger areas of collecting - as in Barlows or Whittlers etc.

I started collecting whittlers and English jacks, especially Case 6380s, which was the first knife I bought to specifically collect .

While perusing eBay , I clicked a fuzzy picture of what I thought was a 6380 and instead it was the Schrade farmers jack in the first post of this thread. It was love at first sight and I've always been pretty monogamous.😊

And although I rarely use one, I really like their ties to horticulture, which I thoroughly love.

The Farmers Jack is truly one of my favorite patterns, thanks to Lyle's nudge to "just try it" I never would've known how great this pattern is. Thank you wlfryjr wlfryjr Lyle...
VPLTrl.jpg

Back