The Sunday Picture Show... (5-21-2017) . . . OLD SHOW LOOK at The DATE...

Great story DSS! Glad you found it. The Camillus issue is mentioned in this interview as well.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/oct/23/the-cutting-edge/
Pj, I have never seen that grind off before. Thought it might be a end of factory Camillus knife, but why grind off Buck from tang ? Second thought, maybe it is a end of the road knife and the blade was stamped Camillus because the Buck blades were used up. But as far as I am concerned it is still a Buck knife.

Concerning the ground off tang. Took me a bit to find it and I know there have been other references. This post was by CJ Buck in 2007.

I have a story for you. My father got a call from the Pres of Camillus, Nilo Miori, back when they were making knives for us. We had rejected knives that did not pass the quality standards and they had piled up somewhat so Nilo had been requested by his board of directors to do something with the rejects. He told my father that he had ground off all the Buck markings and had a guy who would liquidate them at a local swap meet. My father did not like that as folks would know they were Bucks so he offered to buy them all for $1 each. About 3 weeks later a truck showed up with 60,000 knives. My father still laughs about how he did not think to ask how many there were...

As he wondered what to do with all these defaced knives one of our sales reps (Vern Taylor) suggested they be given to missionaries who can get quite a lot done by gifting a knife in the low tech environments they operate in.

We have been giving broken/repaired knives to missionaries ever since. We have some really cool pictures of people wearing nothing but loin cloths with a 119 hanging on it.

Thank you all for the information on this knife...
300, the knife was stamped BUCK on the tang, I can see parts of it where it wasn't all ground off. Additionally, the hammer and bolt logo was on the shield. I bought it years ago at a gun show, maybe some didn't make it to the missionaries. It shows very little to no use. Preston

The couple of 301 Missionary knives I have , had a deep grind notch on the end of one bolster. Apparently to prevent resale. Looks like the edge of a grinding wheel notch. Some also were parts knives with both scales having a shield.

Maybe show the photo over in the Camillus forum and see if someone knows something. 300

a

Here are two of my favorites. Buck and Ruana.I am fortunate enough to live close to both of these knife companies. Although Buck has 320 employees and Ruana has 3. There will be an interesting story with pics later this week about these two USA knife companies and how awesome another Blade Forum member on here is.

Stunning blades. Truly awesome.

My photobucket was not working correctly and I was trying to post a picture when it finally worked correctly that's all. I did not know they would show up like this ,SORRY!

Michael. I noticed this too yesterday. Something changed at PB. The link or whatever it's called I used to copy and paste changed. At least when I use my iPad. With my PC it works like it always did. Don't know if this will help you or not?

P4232352_zps6murudrp.jpg

Nice knife, Michael

Haebbie

Last edited:
Wonderful show today, thanks, ITE! Here is an older one, I think Camillus produced, something happened with the deal and they ground off the Buck logo and name on the tang...but not the one on the bolster:rolleyes:. I'm sure someone will know and post. Preston

Definitely a Camillus. God only knows what was on the tang stamp. As far as the shield goes, I would be willing to bet if you popped the shield out, you would find some markings on the opposite side. Again, it could be just about anything. The bolsters were stamped when they were blanked and are way too deep to grind off without destroying the knife. IMHO, a great user!

Definitely a Camillus. God only knows what was on the tang stamp. As far as the shield goes, I would be willing to bet if you popped the shield out, you would find some markings on the opposite side. Again, it could be just about anything. The bolsters were stamped when they were blanked and are way too deep to grind off without destroying the knife. IMHO, a great user!

Thanks for the info, RickR, I can see remnants of BUCK on the tang. I'm not going to try and get the shield off. Preston

Back