This must be where the DEKs hang out, eh?

I think I'm the only person that had one and sold it because I didn't like it. I think I may have been paying off my wife's hospital bill (appendectomy) at the time as well.
Wish I had one to trade for an edc2 now though.
I opted for Satin on mine. And I wish I didn’t as it lead me to not want to use it. Thus I sold mine. It went to a good fellow so that is alright. But I wish I had a normal one.

Yeah kinda regret not getting in on the DEK3. And no one seems to be parting with them.
I was kind of curious and was operating under the assumption that there weren't all that many DEK3s out there. I went back and looked at the preorder thread and of the people who specified their order in their post there were actually more DEK3s (~80) than DEK2s (55) and DEK1s (60).

There have been a couple of runs of DEK1s and the DEK2 seemed to have a lot more availability in the weekly sales (I only remember one or two batches of DEK3s).

Regardless I feel like the DEK1 is the best all-around option for almost everyone but it was interesting to see the breakdown in the preorder (and I didn't do any tracking of options but there were a LOT of fully loaded DEK3s, I almost feel like satin/fully sharpened/wood or ECAM were as or more common than plain ones).

I was kind of curious and was operating under the assumption that there weren't all that many DEK3s out there. I went back and looked at the preorder thread and of the people who specified their order in their post there were actually more DEK3s (~80) than DEK2s (55) and DEK1s (60).

There have been a couple of runs of DEK1s and the DEK2 seemed to have a lot more availability in the weekly sales (I only remember one or two batches of DEK3s).

Regardless I feel like the DEK1 is the best all-around option for almost everyone but it was interesting to see the breakdown in the preorder (and I didn't do any tracking of options but there were a LOT of fully loaded DEK3s, I almost feel like satin/fully sharpened/wood or ECAM were as or more common than plain ones).
Thanks for the information. I wouldn’t have guessed those results

Best of both worlds, hollow ground DEK1 ;)

View attachment 2505109
That's a great knife you have there Synov Synov !
I am trying to make a set and that's why I am looking for a satin DEK3.
I usually use a folder or a small knife when I need to cut something and I am patiently waiting to get my hands one a dek3 to see how much smaller, lighter and slicey it is with that thin blade and hollow grind.

That's a great knife you have there Synov Synov !
I am trying to make a set and that's why I am looking for a satin DEK3.
I usually use a folder or a small knife when I need to cut something and I am patiently waiting to get my hands one a dek3 to see how much smaller, lighter and slicey it is with that thin blade and hollow grind.
It feels lighter than it is compared to the Dek1 I had. I think I need to pick up a dek2 just because.

I have a small issue with both the dek1 and dek2. Dek1 I wish the choil was higher up like it is on the Dek3 and 2. Dek 2 I’m not a huge fan of the two blade edges like a tanto blade but that’s mainly because I haven’t sharpened that style blade yet but have heard it can be tricky. I’ll most likely end up with one of each if the chance comes up.

What does your satin dek1+2 look like?

+1

Plus, the 3 is ugly :)

I pre-ordered my fancy DEK3 thinking that it would be “easy” to buy a basic tumbled D3V “user” later in a normal Friday sale. Well, at least half of my plan worked out…

i-LVp4Qvj-XL.jpg

Yeah we need another run of basic
ugly gorgeous D3V users ASAP.

Phil

I pre-ordered my fancy DEK3 thinking that it would be “easy” to buy a basic tumbled D3V “user” later in a normal Friday sale. Well, at least half of my plan worked out…

i-LVp4Qvj-XL.jpg

Yeah we need another run of basic
ugly gorgeous D3V users ASAP.

Phil
That's a beauty Comprehensivist Comprehensivist !
The plan might still work if there's another run of them someday :) minus the easy part.
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you B Burke for looking into the DEK preorders.

I think the DEK 1-3 are all awesome

You have the ability to pick what fits your uses

DEK 1 is an awesome all around blade kind of a "jack of all trades"

DEK 2 is a brute... it's a smaller knife you wouldn't be scared to use for bigger thicker knife stuff, it punches way above its size

DEK 3 is a fixed blade scalpel.. it's thinner and lighter than the other DEK , if you want something to slice and keep slicing like a demon... the DEK 3 is your winner

So I understand Nathan saying he wasn’t going to do a DEK3 run again because of the issues with the magnacut correct? Were there issues with the D3V version? Because if not, imo he should do another run of that, maybe even just have it hollow ground with maybe a simple swedge option like Dek1 etc. I gotta say, after carrying this thing all day I want another Dek3 type blade in D3V that is this thin and the edge is just insane.
The reason, as I understood it from Nathan, for there being no more DEK3s in the future, has to do with how labor intensive they are to make. The trouble with MC was intensified with that model, but the steel itself was not the reason behind the thought there would be no more. They require too much hand work and take too long to make, even in D3V, to be viable.

Last edited:
The reason, as I understood it from Nathan, for there being no more DEK3s in the future, has to do with how labor intensive they are to make. The trouble with MC was intensified with that model, but the steel itself was not the reason behind the thought there would be no more. They require too much hand work and take too long to make, even in D3V, to be viable.
I was hoping it was just the MC versions, thanks for the reply.

Back