This weeks work

Wow Scott. The Tusker looks even better than I imagined. Thanks for all your hard work. Your work is an art and a reflection of the soul you put into it. Can't wait to put her to use!

Thanks,
Mark

Man I want a tusker. Never been much on big knives but man those Tuskers sure have grown on me. Scott think you can bring a couple for me to try out when you come down.

Man I want a tusker. Never been much on big knives but man those Tuskers sure have grown on me. Scott think you can bring a couple for me to try out when you come down.

Sure can. I've got a 5" and an 8" Tusker I can bring down plus the big Mother Tusker.
Scott

Working on finishing up my orders. More pics to come.
Scott

mm1.jpg

Damn, to say this knife is big is an understatement. Got to check it out, along with the Deer Creek and bolo today.

Here are the sheaths, left to right, Tusker, Deer Creek, Monster Nessie, Bolo and a pocket sheath for the UNK.
Scott

sheath.jpg

So I went and picked up the Scimitar / Monster Nessie today...and holy sh*t, SilentHunterStudios was not kidding. Pics do this thing no justice, neither its size or its finish. This thing is immense. I own several big knives, some longer, some fatter, but none this IMMENSE. It's wide blade, thickness, and length just make it an absolute monster! And it just feels so good in hand though. Because it's not overly long, it feels very, very manageable. I just don't know what to say. It's awesome. I'll have to get some shots in hand and next to some other knives so as to give an idea. I'll also get some shots soon of the cuts in paper I made. For a 5/16th's inch thick blade, this sucker is sharp and can do some very thing paper curls...very thin.

As for the fit and finish, I just cannot begin to convey how excellent it is. I do not own a knife with better fit and finish or cleaner grinds. Everyone talks about Ray Laconico's grinds and I own a knife of his, and this giant beast is on par with Ray's. (Please don't interpret this as any way of saying one is better or putting anyone's work down...it's just a reference point as to how awesome both are). The handle is perfectly contoured and the canvas micarta is very grippy. With the finger cut out I can choke up on the blade, or my hand is small enough and the handle is big enough for me to just use the lower portion for power strokes.

In short, this thing is just awesome, and I'll be getting more pics of it and more description of it in use soon.

And of course, I have to mention how awesome Scott is. He was again just super nice and a total pleasure to deal with and talk with today. He explained everything to me, answered all my questions about sharpening (even ones that didn't pertain to this knife) and just was easy to talk to.

If anyone needs a serious blade, put Scott on your short list. You will not be disappointed and you'll walk away from it feeling like you were done right for lack of a better way to put it.

Collin, thanks for the kind words and compliments. It was a pleasure building this knife for you. Quite alot of work but as always with an undertaking such as this, when it's finished, it's a good feeling. Enjoy! Look forward to your feedback.
Scott

Scott is a class act and likes to make his customers happy for sure and if I ever order another custom it will be from him.

So life is a pain in the ass and has prevented me from being able to take out the Scimitar yet to play around. Was finally going to today, but just had to take the dog to the vet (anybody ever heard of Cold Water Tail?) and now it looks like it's going to rain...hopefully Wednesday.

At any rate, here are a few shots of it in hand to give an idea of its size. The grip was designed large so that I can either choke up on it like in the first pic or move my grip below the finger cutout to get some more length for chopping, like in the second pic. And while you can't really see it, there is a slight finger grooving below the noticeable cutout for my index finger when choked back...which was all Scott's doing, and thankfully so :).

100_0356.jpg 100_0357.jpg

Here's a pic of it next to a Chopweiler to give an idea of just how big it is...also a spine shot. The Chopweiler is .25. The Scimitar is 5/16th's.

100_0358.jpg 100_0359.jpg

And here is pic showing just how sharp Scott can get a piece of steel that is 5/16th's thick! Those are some fine little paper curls!

100_0360.jpg

I plan on getting out with it tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll get more shots of it in action then. But for now, I'm just enjoying it's general badassery.

Look forward to your feedback. I'm curious how it works out for you. I always like to hear how these excessively large beasts perform. :D
Scott

Could you email me with the prices for something like this bigger one and for your tuskers, in 5 and 8 inch if I have the sizes correct.
Also amazing work. You are on my 'some day for sure' list of makers due to the looks and the overall great feedback I see of your knives. My biggest issue is when I do happen to come across enough money-I want to get something right then, and I can't handle a waiting period of months:grumpy:
But I will own one of your beasts someday, too bad they hardley ever hit the resale/trade market. Stop making such a great product....wait no don't;)
Here are the other two.
Scott

tunk.jpg

Brewcitymike, my wait is about 3 to 4 weeks. If you'd like gimme a call tomorrow or later in the week except Fri. I'll be deer hunting all day.
Scott

So finally got the big guy out today...was afraid I wouldn't get to do much because I didn't think I'd take the cold very well, but I bundled up well and was able to put some decent time in with it...probably had it out for around 40 minutes, if not more.

A few general notes first...it is a heavy knife, and my forearm was tired by the end, but not my arm. I'm just not used to holding something heavy and having to grip it tight for long periods of time. But for me at least the weight is by no means a problem. More importantly, the handle is awesome. Very secure comfortable grips...no hot spots what so ever. There's not even the slightest spot of friction on my hand from using it. Both the forward and rear grips were just super nice, whether choking up to make curls or choking back to chop.

Please keep in mind, I'm trying to make the transition from arm chair collector to someone who actually uses their knives, so my technique is probably hardly ideal when doing any of this, although I do try to think before swinging. Further, outside of just general wood processing for a fire, I didn't do a lot of knife specific work.

If anyone see's anything I could do better just by looking at the photos, please mention it. I'd like to become as efficient as possible at using my tools.

Anyway, onto the playing around

Here's the scimitar at the start, waiting in the chopping block while I go pick out a piece of wood to work with. She bit very deep without much of a swing at all.

100_0361.jpg

Here I made some wood curls / shavings using both portions of the blade. The sweet spot of the blade has a slightly steeper secondary bevel than the edge hear the ricasso. Both parts effortlessly sliced into the wood and shaved it off with just a little bit of pushing. I could tell the portion near the ricasso was just a bit easier to use though. Again, choking up on the blade felt really easy and comfortable. While I didn't need to generate a lot of power, it would be very easy to bear down and make power cuts.

100_0362.jpg 100_0363.jpg

I then decided to chop through the small log and that proved to be pretty easy. It's fairly hard wood that has been sitting outside for a couple of months now. The blade made nice big chips. I wasn't chopping all that hard either, just what I would consider natural effort strokes...no big swings, but not light taps either.

100_0364.jpg

I then took one half and decided to baton it into pieces. This was super easy! This thing just blew the wood apart. Beating on the tip of the knife didn't phase it at all either, although it shouldn't considering this was a small piece and the knife is 5/16th's stock.

100_0365.jpg

Back