Thread to share about your Carothers / CPK Grail(s)

I am glad there is not a standard definition of Grail, but rather everyone's individual interpretation within a continuum. The FK was on my list as a Grail, and I was able to get one (the "chase" is one criterion for my Grail definition, maybe the most important if I had to rank my criteria), and I'm happy as a clam about it. Not much of a Grail to someone else....

Great thread. Looking forward to following along.

My very first one was the LC but I didn't fully commit till I got my FK. At the time, I was unsure as to whether I wanted to stay with my pre-orders with the other company at the expense of letting go of my two CPK pieces, but to give JF credit when it is due, he convinced me otherwise. I don't wish to shower the imp overly with compliments though as I don't want to make his ego any bigger (note the neg). I remember once that he was desperately looking for that CPK-Potato Knife and he was looking in the wrong thread! 5 minutes later I found him and told him where to look. Ah those days when things used to last for about 5 - 10 minutes and I was too chicken shyte to claim it for myself :D

Last edited:
....is the Elmax UF they only type bearing that gold inlay lettering?

The Elmax is actually more of a pink colour. The gold is more present on the D3V. It's actually the colour from the HT, not an inlay. Looks like one though. I have an example that is almost maroon and gold. Matches the handles very well.

^ LC for the lead so far. Although Gus had posted 2 x UFs, his still count as one or else Bob with his 8 shivs would clearly be the forerunner! My thread, hence my (biased) rules :p

one of my, (can there technically be more than one?) grails, is Nate's integral dagger. I can think of only a very few knives I've ever seen, regardless of make, that I'd like to have as much as one of these

Lorien, do you own one too? Bob said that there were three of them in the wild but not sure if that also counts Jo's?

As soon as Bob posts his 1,026 Shiv's it's "Game Over" Here's my one and only! She is so lonesome:rolleyes:

At least you and I are a couple (no dirty comments here please!) of geezers who actually ended up with one. If yours is extra lonely, you can always sent her for a vacaycay to Southern CA.

Last edited:
My CPK grail is the humble potato knife. I am looking for kitchen knives and cannot afford anything Devin Thomas. More in the reasonable range of $200 to $400 max per knife. Shibata R2/SG2 and Saji Aogami Super Blue are on my short list. Any other suggestions?

I talked my friend into something in Hap40 after being very pleasantly surprised with it in a Delica. He uses his 5+ days/week as a cook and has been quite happy with its performance.

My CPK grail is the humble potato knife. I am looking for kitchen knives and cannot afford anything Devin Thomas. More in the reasonable range of $200 to $400 max per knife. Shibata R2/SG2 and Saji Aogami Super Blue are on my short list. Any other suggestions?

Nathan's Kitchen/Veggie/Potato knife was such an excellent value that I don't think he was making much $ on it in addition to his own admission that he just got too tired of remaking it. Sometimes, it literally seems like Nathan would feel guilty for charging more for a pattern but he ought to. I am not condoning hyper price inflation and pricing oneself out of the market, but that Potato Knife was an undervalued pattern.

I'm hoping that he would reconsider visiting it at some higher adjusted price to make it worthwhile and produce something like 100 more. As to whether he would heed or not, that is an entirely different matter as there are so many other irons in the fire (full on pun intended).

The potato knife is one I would happily sign up for a preorder for. I try to limit my knife spending, but the potato knife is a good design for a knife that will get used.

Lorien, do you own one too? Bob said that there were three of them in the wild but not sure if that also counts Jo's?

nope, the only CPKs I have are beat to shit prototypes, not a fancy one among them. I have a feeling that getting one of these daggers into my hands would be somewhat akin to spotting a sasquatch or riding a unicorn, which I guess is what makes it a grail (!)

I have so much admiration for Nate's philosophy wrt producing tools, and that's one of the reasons why the dagger is so appealing to me. It reaches somewhat beyond utility and kind of exposes Nate's Artistic genius more than a simple working knife can

nope, the only CPKs I have are beat to shit prototypes, not a fancy one among them. I have a feeling that getting one of these daggers into my hands would be somewhat akin to spotting a sasquatch or riding a unicorn, which I guess is what makes it a grail (!)

I have so much admiration for Nate's philosophy wrt producing tools, and that's one of the reasons why the dagger is so appealing to me. It reaches somewhat beyond utility and kind of exposes Nate's Artistic genius more than a simple working knife can

As stated in a prior post, sadly with this new format and the new servers, the old WIP links are now stuck in purgatory :(

Johnny-come-lately types such as yours truly would love to revisit those older threads. Hopefully Spark is working on resolving those issues but IIRC, I read somewhere that they were gooone!

Great thread topic.. I have a few things I'm really chasing.. I'm a huuuuuuge fan of the EDC, so the 4V was big for me. I'm hoping to win my way into something rare on the EDC in the future.. something from the creek bed.

Back