Toohr #3 knife sharpener

Unfortunately I didn't see your response before the picture expired. How are you liking the sharpener so far?

The Hapstone R2 Opti clamps are working pretty good for me so far
xDRXkcVh.jpg
Nice looking set up. :thumbsup:

That's the main thing. I bet it still works out a very economical unit.
The sharpener was $99 Canadian with the new user discount, shipping was another $99 though, shipped through Fedex. A US company recently started to carry them with some of the 3d printed upgrades that 777 Edge 777 Edge designed here in this thread.

Yep, Gritomatic has them.

The Basic Version:

The version with added features and some extras:

Gritomatic also offers them with great stone choices selectable when you order one.
Ah nice, I couldn't remember if we were allowed to mention them or not so I figured better safe than sorry. I am glad that they decided to carry them and the upgrades.

New to guided sharpening systems, but am needing to find a solution to keep my kitchen, hunting, and work knifes sharp. I have been waiting for the Hapstone RS to become available. And in the mean time i ran across this thread about the Toohr system. Any advice whether i should keep waiting for the Hapstone or is this Toohr system a legit alternative? I find it under different names and different price points at various sites but all look to be the same unit. Im wondering if they are all the same system (toohr, ketiped, amazon, ali, gritomatic...)?

Most of them are the same TooHR #3. The Gritomatic version comes with some improvements/upgrades.

The TooHR #3 system is a big, bulky machine but it's good. If you're limited with space then the Hapstone RS is a better way to go.

Take note though, there are different versions of TooHR sharpening systems, some are far inferior to the model discussed in this thread.

Last edited:
Edit//

I just saw this a few threads up from 777 Edge:

The version with added features and some extras:
https://www.gritomatic.com/products/toohr-3-nova-knife-sharpener

I don't want to hijack the thread but I've been looking at this Looks like the TooR and being on a tight budget, would put the money into decent stones. I've watched a zillion videos and read thru numerous threads here, and bookmarked ArTema's video on the adjustments he made to stabilize the system.

And just to say, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to fine tune when changing stones. I see the Hapstone has an addon and wondering how to accomplish the same with this syste.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to fine tune when changing stones. I see the Hapstone has an addon and wondering how to accomplish the same with this system.

The TooHR system already is a micro adjustable rack and pinion system so you don't need anything else to fine tune your angles. Just get an angle cube and use that to check and adjust your angles between stones and strops.

Just stumbled onto this thread a few weeks ago.I just order one for shipping to Canada.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...d522100486db6b357ab1e5aa22e&afSmartRedirect=y

It was $186.83 CDN before Discounts.After the AliX Coupon Code and Coin Discount, it was $162.36 Shipped.

I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade the Clamp or Whether the Ruixin Pro 009 clamp is compatible.

I've already go a whole set of those 6" x 1 " SYtool Diamond Stones.

The TooHR system already is a micro adjustable rack and pinion system so you don't need anything else to fine tune your angles. Just get an angle cube and use that to check and adjust your angles between stones and strops.
Got it. Thanks!

I've been lurking long enough and learned tons, so it's about time I ponied up and went Gold.

I just received my system from AMZ. Interesting that there's no mfg's name or logo anywhere, but generally it was packaged well and all but the base seems to be machined more than satisfactorily.

So, before going thru the cleaning and checks of the screws as was outlined here, I did use "Break Free CLP" on the little bearings on the part that the tower screws onto, to do an intial cleaning, and I'm not certain how free it should slide; it does feel a bit gritty. But most concerning is, one side seems to be missing a couple of bearings :-(

When I side that part left and right, a space appears here and there and looks to me like a bearing or two is missing. This isn't the case on the other side. No spaces appear.

I was also wondering if the scratches that appear on the base is something others have noticed. They appear to be left by the mfs's machining process, but thought I ask.

Think I'll wait for any feedback before I proceed with assembly.

I just received my system from AMZ. Interesting that there's no mfg's name or logo anywhere, but generally it was packaged well and all but the base seems to be machined more than satisfactorily.

So, before going thru the cleaning and checks of the screws as was outlined here, I did use "Break Free CLP" on the little bearings on the part that the tower screws onto, to do an intial cleaning, and I'm not certain how free it should slide; it does feel a bit gritty. But most concerning is, one side seems to be missing a couple of bearings :-(

When I side that part left and right, a space appears here and there and looks to me like a bearing or two is missing. This isn't the case on the other side. No spaces appear.

I was also wondering if the scratches that appear on the base is something others have noticed. They appear to be left by the mfs's machining process, but thought I ask.

Mine also had an unequal number of bearings compared to the other side. I disassembled and moved the bearings over to have the same on both sides.

Having a few missing bearings does not really matter in this setup at all, because there is not much load on the bearing assembly. If it was a high weight load bearing assembly then it would make more of a difference, but that's not the case with this sharpener. I wouldn't be too concerned about a few missing bearings.

Last edited:
Mine also had an unequal number of bearings compared to the other side. I disassembled and moved the bearings ove to have the same on both sides.

Having a few missing bearings does not really matter in this setup at all, because there is not much load on the bearing assembly. If it was a high weight bearing bearing assembly then it would make more of a difference, but that's not the case with this sharpener. I wouldn't be too concerned about a few missing bearings.

Attachments

• relief.jpg
    relief.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0

In post #233 in this thread (page 12) I took apart the bearings on mine using a video posted earlier on. Mine had 44 bearings per side and there was a bit of a gap. There was a ton of metal swarf inside it so cleaning it out and cleaning out the bearing races and holes really makes it smoother. You will notice a hitch here and there due to the gap but that is it.

The sharpeners really do a lot better after being cleaned, reassembled and properly timed and tightened. I posted all the things I did to mine as the thread continued.

In post #233 in this thread (page 12) I took apart the bearings on mine using a video posted earlier on. Mine had 44 bearings per side and there was a bit of a gap. There was a ton of metal swarf inside it so cleaning it out and cleaning out the bearing races and holes really makes it smoother. You will notice a hitch here and there due to the gap but that is it.

The sharpeners really do a lot better after being cleaned, reassembled and properly timed and tightened. I posted all the things I did to mine as the thread continued.
Thanks for the follow up.

No pics in you #233 post :-(

How did you disassemble the slide holding the bearings? Those two screws on the end? Do you know the size if I need to add any?
I did clean everything multiple times and it does slide "OK".

And is this the video you're referring to"
777 Edge re bearings

Watch for my next post asking how to measure the angle correctly. I'm not sure if I have to measure the angle of the block that tightens the blade holder and add/subtract from the angle of the stone Or just use the angle of the stone. Obviously a total n00b here.

As I confessed above:
I'm not sure if I have to measure the angle of the block that tightens the blade holder and add/subtract from the angle of the stone Or just use the angle of the stone. Obviously a total n00b here.

Attachments

• toohrques.jpg
    toohrques.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
As I confessed above:
I'm not sure if I have to measure the angle of the block that tightens the blade holder and add/subtract from the angle of the stone Or just use the angle of the stone. Obviously a total n00b here.

Your arrow for zeroing your angle cube is correct but after zeroing, you measure the sharpening angle with the angle cube on the rear stone holder platform. (With the stone in place, knife clamped and stone resting on your edge.

Your arrow for zeroing your angle cube is correct but after zeroing, you measure the sharpening angle with the angle cube on the rear stone holder platform. (With the stone in place, knife clamped and stone resting on your edge.
I knew that (not). My confusion stemmed from a YouTuber saying something like ... "zero the table your system is on, measure the angle of the 'angle cube' multiply by you social security number and subtract the winning Power Ball number, after which ..."

I really like simple. And this seems like a great tool to learn sharpening. Probably going to spring for your Gritomatic clamp system down the road.

Thanks again.

Back