Toxic Axe Personality Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least things are still lighthearted around here. But let's be honest for a minute, it's really all Steve Tall's fault.
You have been gone for awhile M3mphis good to see you pop in. But just to fill you in on some of the things you might have missed, "Steve Tall" is a fictional character. Pretty sure it's a team of hackers with mad Google skills sent to infiltrate this community. Probably the Russians...

- I still believe that "Steve Tall" is an anagram equaling:

Stellate V - The star cluster from which he originates or AI somewhat similar to HAL that remained behind on the last visit.

- Staring at anything you write here on the forums at the same time as him allows him to read your mind...

- He sorts internet searches via binary code.

*The interjection of what should happen here is a pleasant reminder M3mphis. :thumbsup:

To: The Nag
Re: Axes

1.jpg

Каждый слушает человека топором.
Но, возможно, вам придется сначала размахивать им.

Everyone listens to a person with an ax.
But, perhaps you will first have to wave it.

I don't think making a sub-sub-forum for tomahawks, or tactical tomahawks, is necessary. All that's necessary is for all of us to have the personal maturity to take a look at a thread, say, "Hmmm, that is pertaining to a subject I have no interest in," roll our eyes if necessary, and move onward to a thread that has interest for you. There is every type of knife under the sun in the "Custom and Handmade" sub-forum, and there isn't the kind of snarkiness that I've seen here.

I have very little (I won't say none) interest in re-furbishing flea market finds. If you dig back through my posts on BladeForums, I can pretty much guarantee you that I haven't made a post in one of the many threads about the subject. I don't knock them, I see the value in them, I just have no interest. I just want to see the same courtesy extended to those in my particular little niche.

There are, sadly, a good deal of poorly-made "tactical" tomahawks on the market. I have no problem with constructive advice to newbies who show up with them, pointing out the flaws in design and material choice (the United M48 whose handle has failed umpteen times at the end of the rabbet tang, for instance). But lumping all tactical 'hawks into that category is just as ignorant and aggravating as lumping all traditional wooden-handled axes into the same category as the cheapest Chinese-made junk axes.

There are definitely thin-skinned individuals on the Interwebz, but a lot of the folks I'm thinking of who no longer hang out here just got tired of the same old derisive reaction from the same small handful of individuals every time they made a post about our niche. Several of them have been legitimate door-kickers who have a real usage and interest in tactical tomahawks under combat/law enforcement situations.

I've been online for over half my life now, and this subforum is one of the few where I had to be deliberately rude to someone after persistent snarkiness. Like my grandpa told me once, "Some folks just make it where you can't have any fellowship with them."

There's a tremendous amount of information here, and some good research going on. But the stiff-necked, condescending jerkwads make it less tempting to come around and read and contribute to it.

Increasingly over the past few years I've noticed a certain trend among many axe groups, and I can't imagine I'm the only one to notice it. A certain personality profile has developed among some that I'm dubbing "toxic axe personality disorder" or TAPD. Symptoms of TAPD include, but are not limited to:

•Thinking that if hickory contains any heartwood or is not 100% perfectly vertical end grain with zero slope it will self destruct in the first swing.

•Thinking that any gap in the eye or crack in the wood above the eye when hanging an axe, no matter how small, will result in the head immediately flying off the handle.

•Thinking that nothing but the hardest of axes is at all worth using.

•A compulsion to doggedly criticize anything that does not match their mental schema of a "perfect axe" or "proper technique" well beyond the point that could be considered as constructive.

•The belief that only vintage axes should be used (often ignoring context) and that anything else is a waste of effort and money.

•A general disdain and vocal low regard for anything short of perfection regardless of context.

•A heavy reliance on "bible-like" common reference materials, regardless of the fact that those sources are not infallible.

I feel it's overall a hostile and condescending attitude that shuts down the free exchange of useful ideas, ignores the degree of influence of many factors, and dissuades beginners from joining in discussion or asking questions. Meanwhile, experienced users feel as though it isn't worth sharing their knowledge. What was once a friendly and helpful community seems to be increasingly turning to elitism and jockeying for esteem/prestige rather than a genuine eagerness for educating others and self-improvement. This is hardly the norm for all users, but the frequency of toxic axe personality disorder rearing its head seems to have been increasing of late, and across multiple channels.

Feel free to add your own, as this is scarcely a complete list. And let's all stay friendly and general in what's added. Making things personal is the exact opposite of what this thread is about. :)

Lol. I actually have to take breaks from these cutting tool/outdoor oriented forums, because of the laughable level of seriousness with some folks. Knives/axes/motorcycles/metal detectors......whatever, are all just toys to me that enhance the pleasure of my leisure time through their use. When I find myself making sarcastic remarks in reply to some over the top post, which I tend to do now and then, I know that it's time to stay away because I am personalizing, over silliness. I have seen feeding frenzies over the smallest perceived slights on these types of forums. That's when I take it all as a joke. Grown adult men getting personal and vicious over a ''hobby'' cutting tool. I just wonder at times if some peoples lives are so empty that some nothing comment from a stranger on the net can get them frothing at the mouth. Take your lady or kids to a movie for gosh sakes, lol.

I don't think making a sub-sub-forum for tomahawks, or tactical tomahawks, is necessary. All that's necessary is for all of us to have the personal maturity to take a look at a thread, say, "Hmmm, that is pertaining to a subject I have no interest in," roll our eyes if necessary, and move onward to a thread that has interest for you. There is every type of knife under the sun in the "Custom and Handmade" sub-forum, and there isn't the kind of snarkiness that I've seen here.

I have very little (I won't say none) interest in re-furbishing flea market finds. If you dig back through my posts on BladeForums, I can pretty much guarantee you that I haven't made a post in one of the many threads about the subject. I don't knock them, I see the value in them, I just have no interest. I just want to see the same courtesy extended to those in my particular little niche.

There are, sadly, a good deal of poorly-made "tactical" tomahawks on the market. I have no problem with constructive advice to newbies who show up with them, pointing out the flaws in design and material choice (the United M48 whose handle has failed umpteen times at the end of the rabbet tang, for instance). But lumping all tactical 'hawks into that category is just as ignorant and aggravating as lumping all traditional wooden-handled axes into the same category as the cheapest Chinese-made junk axes.

There are definitely thin-skinned individuals on the Interwebz, but a lot of the folks I'm thinking of who no longer hang out here just got tired of the same old derisive reaction from the same small handful of individuals every time they made a post about our niche. Several of them have been legitimate door-kickers who have a real usage and interest in tactical tomahawks under combat/law enforcement situations.

I've been online for over half my life now, and this subforum is one of the few where I had to be deliberately rude to someone after persistent snarkiness. Like my grandpa told me once, "Some folks just make it where you can't have any fellowship with them."

There's a tremendous amount of information here, and some good research going on. But the stiff-necked, condescending jerkwads make it less tempting to come around and read and contribute to it.
In much of this response I strongly disagree. I must have been one of these and consequently was thoroughly 'flamed' on this forum many times 3-4 years ago for commenting on tommy forum threads that were fueled by zealous, naive or one track fetishes of what I (still) refer to as recreational "toys" and I've learned to stay the hell well away from that 'tommy-tac' stuff. Watching a UTube-linked clip (during that time) of an obviously enthusiastic young advocate of "tac hawks" devote inordinate time and energy in poking a few holes in the side of washing machine had me 'woofing my cookies' in knowing perfectly well that a 100 year old fire axe could have accomplished miracles. But no, it had to be flat stock 'space-age' short and light weight design with strategic holes drilled all over it and devoid of lo-tech wood. Hard to argue this with religious converts.
Anyway; how are doing StormCrow? I''m still on here and so are you so we definitely have something in common beside being overly fond of striking tools and gradually having developed thick skins.
I appreciate your input (even if you choose to 'bark my shins', or someone else's) and welcome more of it and don't ever want you to feel as if you don't belong. You most definitely do!

I'll throw this in here. I use to check this forum almost daily, I really liked the discussion, sharing info and pictures of projects. I stopped visiting or posting for the most part because I felt a shift in the attitude of this forum and axe/hatchet community in general. I think what happened to axes is similar to what happened to hot rods or custom motorcycles because of shows like OCC... yuppies got wind of something cool and latched on, which made prices soar and good finds become rare. It brought in profiteers....I mean people who think part of the hobby is to go to flea markets and estate sales just buy up everything and anything decent in the hopes of throwing it on electronic-bay to make a big profit. What gives me solace is that I was into it before they knew diddly about an axe or hatchet and I'll still be here long after they lose interest. There is some really good guys and alot of info here though - Square Peg, Steve Tall, AgentH, 300six, M3mphis, Garry3 and CooperHill to name a few.

Last edited:
In much of this response I strongly disagree. I must have been one of these and consequently was thoroughly 'flamed' on this forum many times 3-4 years ago for commenting on tommy forum threads that were fueled by zealous, naive or one track fetishes of what I (still) refer to as recreational "toys" and I've learned to stay the hell well away from that 'tommy-tac' stuff. Watching a UTube-linked clip (during that time) of an obviously enthusiastic young advocate of "tac hawks" devote inordinate time and energy in poking a few holes in the side of washing machine had me 'woofing my cookies' in knowing perfectly well that a 100 year old fire axe could have accomplished miracles. But no, it had to be flat stock 'space-age' short and light weight design with strategic holes drilled all over it and devoid of lo-tech wood. Hard to argue this with religious converts.
Anyway; how are doing StormCrow? I''m still on here and so are you so we definitely have something in common beside being overly fond of striking tools and gradually having developed thick skins.
I appreciate your input (even if you choose to 'bark my shins', or someone else's) and welcome more of it and don't ever want you to feel as if you don't belong. You most definitely do!

Yeah, and that's a perfect example of the problem I cited. You couldn't roll your eyes and move on with your life, you had to comment on any thread involving a modern 'hawk. *You* are the one I had to be rude to. Meanwhile, a good number of those who got tired of dealing with the bull any time they discussed tactical 'hawks decided their time was better spent not hanging out in this sub-forum. So their possible contributions to the sub-forum are no longer available.

In my opinion, FortyTwoBlades and Storm Crow have made very valid constructive criticisms of the micro-culture here an the ATH forum. I'm sure I had my own moments of TAPD when I was a regular. So my apologies for that, but it's also part of the reason I'm no longer a regular.

In life you've got to listen to criticism and do some honest introspection in order to be the better person you should always want to be. Obviously, that's a lot bigger than a forum but in all areas of life we should seek to weed out our personal prejudices and act in kindness. Cheers!

I'll throw this in here. I use to check this forum almost daily, I really liked the discussion, sharing info and pictures of projects. I stopped visiting or posting for the most part because I felt a shift in the attitude of this forum and axe/hatchet community in general. I think what happened to axes is similar to what happened to hot rods or custom motorcycles because of shows like OCC... yuppies got wind of something cool and latched on, which made prices soar and good finds become rare. It brought in profiteers....I mean people who think part of the hobby is to go to flea markets and estate sales just buy up everything and anything decent in the hopes of throwing it on electronic-bay to make a big profit. What gives me solace is that I was into it before they knew diddly about an axe or hatchet and I'll still be here long after they lose interest. There is some really good guys and alot of info here though - Square Peg, Steve Tall, AgentH, 300six, M3mphis, Garry3 and CooperHill to name a few.

I'll comment a bit on this. I'm one of those that enjoys finding and selling things, and it is a perfect compliment to this hobby that I enjoy. Most are not as overt about it as I am, but there are many here who buy and sell. While it is true that I hunt at flea markets, I also get a majority of my finds from other sources including forgotten basements and sheds. These are items that may never have otherwise seen the light of day, or if they did it was just before being scrapped. I do profit for my efforts, but I am also saving tons of old metal. I will also say this about pricing- I sell many axe heads within the ballpark of $15 and also the rarer special items for much more depending on how buyers choose to bid. But please remember that the buyers have complete control over what particular items sell for.

There are a lot of really knowledgeable, funny, and interesting people here. I will say I find it flattering to have made your list Joe - with those other guys. Anytime anyone wants to talk axes, trade axes, ask or talk about old stuff or BS on or off-site, I will. I have a long list of members that I get a kick out of - even if I don't use the tools they use, like, create, sell, or have an interest in.

So, since this thread is becoming Soliloquy Corner...

When photobucket dropped the ball for us this last couple of weeks for many of us, it stripped out a lot of the character of the forum. What it left was primarily the text that was written around it - just the the voices you might say. Being on "House Arrest" (sick kid) I read back 70 pages and with all those silly pictures removed it was pretty obvious that something was different. I can elaborate, point it out, or we can just agree that "you know it when you see it".

We don't need bows and curtsies and no one wants anyone to suffer fools but I also don't think we are far off for having this thread.

Oh, and I think TAPD has some other symptoms:

- Creation of multiple forum accounts.
- Editing posts to make the other responder(s) look like the aggressor- after the fact.
- Insomnia
- Mania, Depression, Obsession
- *Oily discharge.

One of my friends is a MD and he says this sounds more like a Psyche issue. I think there are some treatment options but I have only heard of one successful one though.
It is a Three Step Process:
1. Sell your axes,
2. Buy a boat,
3. Go bass fishing.

This place has undergone several big member transitions in the past and will again, obvious Trolling, blind fan-boyism, forum layout changes, and the loss of 1/3 of its member-contributed photo material.

But on the other side of that -
1. collectively you have put together one of the largest repositories of axe history, identification, and general knowledge about old tools on the internet - and grows daily
2. you have your own forum to talk about these things carved out of a larger system
3. you have a For Sale section just for axes/tomahawks.

... Take your lady or kids to a movie for gosh sakes, lol.

Upnorth, my daughter and I picked 10lbs of Marion berries yesterday. My wife made pies from them and we took them to the neighbors. Didn't have to use an axe once. Although one of the GB Small Berry Harvesting Axes would have been helpful.

Oh, and get this!, my kid only went for low hanging fruit. I really need to work on that with her. My wife says that's because she's only three years old.

She needs supervision :)

M3mphis and everyone else - I wouldn't write this place off just yet.

JB, I could be wrong but I don't think you are who M3mphis was talking about.

You are more in the "tax breaks for historic preservation" category lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back