Toyota Tundra or Chevy Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that us Americans had to bail them out when things went to hell with the economy makes me really angry. I can't get past that!

Also, I have looked over Toyotas Tundra and Fords F150. From what I can see, they both are much better vehicles.

Fair enough. I just couldn't figure out from the initial comment. I took a quick look at the full size trucks but they are so high up now they are hard to get into.

Tundra horrible on fuel economy and noisy to drive down the highway. Chevy/GMC quiet, good fuel economy and made in Indiana.

Tundra horrible on fuel economy and noisy to drive down the highway. Chevy/GMC quiet, good fuel economy and made in Indiana.

The double and regular cabs have final assembly done in Fort Wane but the crew cabs are assembled in Mexico. Not to mention Chevy/GMC has a much lower American made parts content then the Tundra. I believe it might actually be the lowest of all half ton trucks.

I had a '12 Tahoe that I LOVED, and served me well. There was nothing wrong with it, ever. And for a vehicle THAT size, it got great gas mileage. I would still be driving it, if it hadn't been totaled in a car accident in Dec. I WOULD buy it again. I would buy a Chevy/GMC truck. The Checy/GMC will get better gas mileage than a Tundra.

I own a 2000 Tundra. LOVE it. 265,000 miles on it and it still runs very strong. I have never had a moments trouble out of it, and I have been a bit hard on it. The only things I have done are change the oil regularly and had a '200,000 mile checkup/tune up' done by a dealer. As others have stated here-- bulletproof. I occasionally give someone a ride, and without fail, everyone who rides in it comments on how comfortable it is and how great it runs for a truck that is 16 years old.

The double and regular cabs have final assembly done in Fort Wane but the crew cabs are assembled in Mexico. Not to mention Chevy/GMC has a much lower American made parts content then the Tundra. I believe it might actually be the lowest of all half ton trucks.

yep and Toyota does have a lot of American made parts in it. A lot of GMCH engine parts in it and other tier-1 suppliers that make supplies to all of them. I know this because we're a machine builder for these components. Toyota trucks are not like my old solid Toyotas from the past

2011 tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4 w/4.30 rear end. I average 16.8 mpg over each calendar year which includes 4x4 winter driving. I got out of my 2004 chevy 2500 hd 6.0 4x4 double cab - that thing would get 12mpg empty or towing, but never better or worse. Front bearings were replaced at about 50k to the tune of about $600 each.

Quality difference is apparent to me. When I bought new in 2011 the tundra, based on my research, was the most american made truck that year. That is very important to me and I love the truck.

Mine is 5 years old and according to kbb I could get almost 80% of my purche price for it today. Granted only 35,000 miles but I'm driving this one until it dies on me - hopefully about 20/25 years from now

I also will not ever buy another chevy due to bailout issues.

Mike.

Toyota Tundra 2015 DC with 8' bed - never looked back. I know people who currently have Fords, Dodge and Chevy - all have been in shop for ridiculous things - auto wipers turning on when truck is off, bad shock, tune up w/ spark plug replace, loose wires under headliner, etc. I change the oil and have no problems - almost 50k miles. I average 16.1 mpg on regular unleaded. My commute is well over 100 miles a day. I will probably never go back to a car. My vote is Toyota.

I'm gonna a bit off topic and suggest the Honda Ridgline. I'm about 6-2 and 350ish. I've been driving my Ridgline since 05 with no problems and I'm very comfortable in it. Plus you get thr bonus of having a trunk under the bed of the truck. Got 185,00 on her and going strong. But I got to admit, I'm not crazy about the new redesign.

I'm gonna a bit off topic and suggest the Honda Ridgline. I'm about 6-2 and 350ish. I've been driving my Ridgline since 05 with no problems and I'm very comfortable in it. Plus you get thr bonus of having a trunk under the bed of the truck. Got 185,00 on her and going strong. But I got to admit, I'm not crazy about the new redesign.

My neighbor has one and loves his, he's had it for a good number of years. He swears by it. If they can take the reliability of the Accord/Civic and put it in a truck, then great. I don't haul a lot of stuff, an extra cab with a short bed would be perfect for me, but I'm looking for an extended four door cab, with two doors and two "suicide" half doors, and a standard bed with a 5.3L V8 and 4WD. Z71 or TRD package, not really a necessity, but if I find one at a good price with that package, so be it. I'm not looking for the Lexus version of the Tundra, or the SS Chevy truck.

If I didn't have a one hundred mile per day round trip commute, I'd go for the crew cab standard bed 6.0 V8 with the full package, either Z71 or TRD, and of course 4WD.

Telecommuting is being offered again at work, maybe I will sign up. The money I save in gas can go to my truck payment...

I currently have 2 vehicles and will be in the market for a new truck in the next year or so----have pretty much decided to go with a Tacoma or Frontier(maybe get a deal the outgoing model or see what the new redesign is all about)----or possibly the new single cab Titan--if the price is right. 4x4 of course.

Ford doesn't want my business with the crap aluminum body and puny 2.7L eco-boost----good luck finding one with a V8---heck, I can get a bigger engine in a small truck than the stupid eco-boost.

Chevy is just meh and then there's the whole Obama-motors thing

My buddy has 3 Dodges and there's always something or other wrong with them at any time. No thanks

I currently have 2 vehicles and will be in the market for a new truck in the next year or so----have pretty much decided to go with a Tacoma or Frontier(maybe get a deal the outgoing model or see what the new redesign is all about)----or possibly the new single cab Titan--if the price is right. 4x4 of course.

Ford doesn't want my business with the crap aluminum body and puny 2.7L eco-boost----good luck finding one with a V8---heck, I can get a bigger engine in a small truck than the stupid eco-boost.

My buddy has 3 Dodges and there's always something or other wrong with them at any time. No thanks

I bought a 2015 Frontier several months ago. Its a decent truck. I was looking at Tacoma's but similarly equipped was over $5,000 more than the Frontier. By similarly equipped I mean 4X4, V6, crew cab. Probably "mid-level" package. Honestly it is not a big upgrade over my 2002 Ranger FX4. I don't think mid-sized trucks have had the same level of advancement as full size.

You do know the 2.7L has more hp and torque than any of the midsized trucks right?

in 2011 the tundra, based on my research, was the most american made truck that year

How can this be if they are assembled in America from parts made in Japan?

I worry about all of the money that goes to the Japanese owners, then eventually they turn around and buy up companies in the US. Some day all of us, or our children, will be working for the Japanese. I've driven Japanese vehicles and never found anything that would make me want to buy one so I keep my American vehicle. The only complaint I have about American manufacturers is that they get stuck on manufacturing certain types of vehicles and don't branch out to other things. I'm a big GM fan but the vehicle I'm most likely to purchase next is a certain Ford model.

I worry about all of the money that goes to the Japanese owners, then eventually they turn around and buy up companies in the US. Some day all of us, or our children, will be working for the Japanese. I've driven Japanese vehicles and never found anything that would make me want to buy one so I keep my American vehicle. The only complaint I have about American manufacturers is that they get stuck on manufacturing certain types of vehicles and don't branch out to other things. I'm a big GM fan but the vehicle I'm most likely to purchase next is a certain Ford model.

Our 4Runner was made in Tokyo and shipped to the USA. Fine by me. Ten years old and over two hundred thousand miles and rock steady reliable. Have yet to experience that an any American-made car or truck. Last Chevy we had was so unreliable (electronics, etc.) I got rid of while it was under warranty and bought the 4Runner.

It's all about priorities.

Do you believe in rewarding bad behavior? Do you believe in consumer rip off with companies giving you an inferior product knowingly?

If so, continue to buy GM products or other U.S. made cars. The U.S. auto industry is the worst when it comes to knowingly giving you a defective design and continuing to put out bad quality stuff for inflated prices. Working for the Japanese may not be a bad thing, at least they treat their workers well and make a good product you scan be pround of. Toyota, Honda, and the other Japanese brands have shown it is possible to make a good reliable car that will run 200,00 miles with no major repairs. The American companies just won't step up t the plate and equal it. They ca, but they won't, and THAT'S what I hold against them. Their greed!

The U.S. can put a man on the moon, build a nuclear submarine, and make satellite cameras that can read what brand a gold ball is on the green from space. But we can't make a car as reliable as a Toyota???? B.S.! It's the simple fact that the American car industry is so greedy they won't try to equal he Japanese car industry as long as they can find customers dumb enough to keep buying Chevy's that will fail prematurely and cost many dollars in repairs over the same service life as a Japanese car.

Buying a GM car is like rewarding 60 years of bad behavior of planned obsolesce and known flaws in design. I bought my last GM product in 1988, and traded it in on a Toyota in 1990, and never looked back. I think the saying is; "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

When it comes to a product for my money, I don't care who made it. I want the best product for my dollar, and in cars, it ain't any U.S. made brand. I'll always vote with my wallet. As far as working for the Japanese, why is it that the auto workers union is unanimously voted down when they tried to get into the Honda plant in ohio, the Toyota plant in Tennessee, The Nissan plant in Kentucky, and the Mazda plant in California? The American workers at the Japanese plants in the U.S. voted to keep the unions out of there because they were treated far better at the japanese companies than at the American companies. Plus they had pride in what they were making.

Patriotism is all fine and dandy, but it has to be earned, just like respect. Once someone gives me a crappy product, I don't care who they are, I'll never buy another one from them. Ford, GM, and Chrysler have all sold me one car in my life. No more. I'll drive a Toyota until the American companies prove that they are worth my money. When I can see in the Consumers Annual car guide that they have an equal frequency of repair record as Toyota and Honda, I will try one again. Not until.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back