Traditional Tantos in A2 Steel - Pics!

gooey- Which one are you get'n?

They all look great, but I'd be more partial to the micarta ones. However, I am contemplating a matching saya, and for that, the coyote G10 model lends itself more to that I think. Considering the availability of the material.

They all look great, but I'd be more partial to the micarta ones. However, I am contemplating a matching saya, and for that, the coyote G10 model lends itself more to that I think. Considering the availability of the material.

What type of saya? Traditional one wouldn't work without a habaki to hold it in place.

Well, these aren't traditional in the sense of the word as it applies to tantos. Think of it as a type of shirisaya in G10 instead of wood. Haven't thought about the retention system yet.

Well, these aren't traditional in the sense of the word as it applies to tantos. Think of it as a type of shirisaya in G10 instead of wood. Haven't thought about the retention system yet.

No, they are not.

Just wondering how you would have it hold. Coming up onto the handle like a kydex sheath seems like the only option.

There's always a way. If the front part of the handle scales by the ricasso were straight, it'd be easier to do, but it's still doable with them being rounded. I have some ideas already :)

Cool! ^
As much as I love the GE Micarta, I like the Coyote.
I might have to get in Daniel's order book.

That book is eternally locked (unless you know the passcode. rolf. lookin at you :p )

I'm thinking magnets might work in a saya, I have been experimenting with using some for knife racks I will make. A hidden ring of velcro in that area might help add some friction too.

Folders are going to be my focus right now but I think the occasional tanto would be a good thing. ...damascus with wooden saya? I have some nice looking poplar that would be cool for the saya. A traditional finish would look nice on the wood... I'd probably do a new school tanto as far as fittings go. I feel that taking on a a true traditional tanto is a devotion unto itself.

I'm thinking magnets might work in a saya, I have been experimenting with using some for knife racks I will make. A hidden ring of velcro in that area might help add some friction too.

Folders are going to be my focus right now but I think the occasional tanto would be a good thing. ...damascus with wooden saya? I have some nice looking poplar that would be cool for the saya. A traditional finish would look nice on the wood... I'd probably do a new school tanto as far as fittings go. I feel that taking on a a true traditional tanto is a devotion unto itself.

RJ Martin used magnets in some of his. I don't care for the feel of it though.

Not sure if you've ever used pure tung oil on wood before but my only piece with a traditional saya is finished with it and its gorgeous:

That is nice... thanks. THANKS FOR MAKING ME WANT, lol..

Nease uses some velcro fuzzy side inside his bamboo if needed. It works, I really like tight retention. I have 2 kids, they grab everything.. Knives need to be secure for me to even consider carrying them or even fondling them around the house.. the knife, not the kids, sickos. :E

Hi DF Gang. fyi... the Coyote Tanto is now on my belt. :)
Thank you, Daniel!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yf,
rolf

These are pretty sweet slicers.. love the design overall, and the kydex is one of your better :) I'm wanting some thumb depression... but I like this streamline design as it stands.

I could see this in a longer version. 5in handle 7inblade :D FFG DO IT :D

Back