Triad Lock - Common Misconceptions & Merits

Russian )
This is familiar to everyone. Dirt, sand, fat from products sometimes get inside the handle and it requires cleaning. With the possibility of incomplete disassembly of the knife, it will be easy. The quick-release backspacer can be mounted on the principle of weapon pins or other similar maintenance systems without tools. And this will not affect the strength of the blade fixation.
Plus, easy repair and adjustment/replacement of the lock spring for personal preferences "tight" or "soft".
I like the idea.

Hello.
I really, really, really like Tri-Ad lock, you can rely on it in any conditions. But sometimes there are difficulties with the maintenance of knives on a hike, expedition, etc., when there are no tools and time.
Tri-Ad lock plus ... Tri-Ad lock light ... An incomplete disassembly will be misconceptions or merits, what do you think? :)

Sorry for the bad english.
This is brilliant. Send the drawings to Andrew Demko and see what he says.

Andrew Demko replied to my letter. Briefly, but it was useful.:thumbsup: He also recommended contacting Cold Steel directly, I will try to do it.
Or... Photos are just an idea, not a project, so if someone from the forum can help talk to Cold Steel, this is also a good option.:)

Last edited:
Demko isn't able to make any Triad lock knives anymore per his agreement with cold steel since his departure, so only cold steel can do anything about this concept. Well at least until 2024 when the patent for Triad lock expires..

I figured I should bump my own thread since there’s been discussions about the triad lock.
Again, the beauty of the triad lock is not just its absolute strength, it’s its simplicity in design and it’s efficiency. It’s one of the few lock type that does not depend on any liners or specific handle material to work well, and it can be scaled from a micro knife to a massive pocket sword.

I still think the Triad lock is the best Demko lock design, above the Shark lock and the Scorpion lock.

awesome thread,very well written!

my Rajah 3 with CTS BD 1 steel is by far my smoothest CS.

i wish they did more knives with the RAM lock

I figured I should bump my own thread since there’s been discussions about the triad lock.
Again, the beauty of the triad lock is not just its absolute strength, it’s its simplicity in design and it’s efficiency. It’s one of the few lock type that does not depend on any liners or specific handle material to work well, and it can be scaled from a micro knife to a massive pocket sword.

I still think the Triad lock is the best Demko lock design, above the Shark lock and the Scorpion lock.
I agree.

I don t know why I never read this thread until this morning. Excellent, informative initial post and and very interesting thread.

This helps me understand why my Cold Steel triad knives have been the the most durable, well built work knives I ve ever used. This information about the triad construction explains why I switched from Spyderco work knives to Cold Steel work knives years ago. The durability of the Cold Steel folders is much better. I appreciate your discussion of batonning with the Lawman. One of my favorite edc/work knives. Then factor in the cost of the Cold steel folders as opposed to the cost of Spyderco or Benchmade knives, and the choice is a no brainer.

I like the thin handled models as well as the others. The ergonomics on Cold Steel folders in general seem to be quite good for me.

Thanks for starting this great discussion.

That's great to hear Now I've got to hunt a lawman down to check out maybe down the road. I'm kind of looking at the Bush ranger as well, looks like a dandy knife. Thanks for the info all.
I have the bush ranger quite good quality sharp and solid dual lock so safe as for hard use no chance of failure as they both lock the knife a different way definitely worth it

One of the embedded image links in the first post is broken. Here it is from Internet Archive.

Screen%20Shot%202020-05-21%20at%202.33.02%20PM.png

Back