UKPK - absolute perfection for me

it is even lighter than I expected . . . It is the perfect size . . . the spring tension is pretty strong, which is a good thing. The blue is actually better than I thought it'd be in person too.

Right ?!?!
I agree. Good stuff.

I too am enjoying the S110V UKPK LW. I've been using mine a lot at work and it's been performing nicely. It's fairly inexpensive and durable enough that I don't have to worry about it. I really like the weight, ergos, blade shape, wire clip, color, etc, etc.

lMP679e.jpg

If you guys ever get the chance to pick up one the disco'd G10/S30V UKPKs for a decent price I highly recommend it. I like mine even better than the LW version and thats saying a lot.

If you guys ever get the chance to pick up one the disco'd G10/S30V UKPKs for a decent price I highly recommend it. I like mine even better than the LW version and thats saying a lot.
Now I am curious - What about the g10/liners do you like more than the frn version? Heft? Less flex? Orange?

Foofie that is a fine looking knife. I'm with you on the handle shape provides plenty of grip. The smooth wood scales look and work great.

lMP679e.jpg

Now I am curious - What about the g10/liners do you like more than the frn version? Heft? Less flex? Orange?

Foofie's question made me wonder, does the G10 version have liners, or is it just G10?

IDK, the G10 feels really good. The texture is grippy but not too coarse IMO. Also, the full stainless steel backspacer is a nice touch. It not only looks great but feels good in hand too.

Foofie's question made me wonder, does the G10 version have liners, or is it just G10?

No liners. So it's still a relatively light knife. UKPK G10 weighs 2.4 oz and the LW weighs 1.6 oz (which is incredibly light). I assume the extra weight of the G10 knife comes from the full backspacer. For reference, the UKPK G10 weighs about the same as the Native 5 LW.

I saw on the Spyderco forum that Sal said they are transitioning to BD1N on the UKPK drop point. I wonder how that steel is going to perform? It looks like Sandvik 14C28N vastly improved, to me. It has more of everything, but the same ingredients.

No liners. So it's still a relatively light knife. UKPK G10 weighs 2.4 oz and the LW weighs 1.6 oz (which is incredibly light). I assume the extra weight of the G10 knife comes from the full backspacer. For reference, the UKPK G10 weighs about the same as the Native 5 LW.
The g10 versions use a full length backspring, while the newer frn versions with the tuning fork use the partial length backspring. This adds a negligible amount of weight as Sharp Guy mentions. There is an additional mounting point for the tuning fork, further back in the handle from the pivot, that is integrated into the frn scales. I think this is the biggest reason aftermarket scales for the frn versions are harder to come by.

Blame my OCD, but I prefer the partial length backspring. The exposed end of my chaparral backspacer gets scratched up quite a bit, and it kinda bugs me. No backspacer, no scratches;)

I Love my ukpk lightweight
Put it through the paces the other night (cut steak, wood, and a metal can) still sharp enough to take the hair off my arm.

Super light, don't notice it in my pocket. The wire clip is great for shorts or sport pants.

Back