umnum test from poland

It moves.
It moves a fair bit due to the length of bar and its narrowness.
It does not take much force at all to squeeze it up.
However, lock-up still remains solid.
I would prefer a wider bar though, to eliminate the travel, regardless of how it affects lock-up.

I don't mean to offend, but isn't that a bit like saying "My car rides smooth, but if I watch someone else drive it it looks like it's wobbling a bit. I want bigger shocks on it so it looks better." ?

I don't mean to offend, but isn't that a bit like saying "My car rides smooth, but if I watch someone else drive it it looks like it's wobbling a bit. I want bigger shocks on it so it looks better." ?

Nah, it's more like "I'm fairly strong now, but I'll keep going to the gym and eating protein to become as strong as humanly possible given my genetics.":cool:
Strong is okay, but stronger is better.
Or like Mr. Burns said, "I'd gladly trade it all for a little more.":D

Nah, it's more like "I'm fairly strong now, but I'll keep going to the gym and eating protein to become as strong as humanly possible given my genetics.":cool:
Strong is okay, but stronger is better.
Or like Mr. Burns said, "I'd gladly trade it all for a little more.":D

Isn't there a limit to strength? Once you push it far enough don't you reach a point of diminishing returns?

$400 knife that fails from spine whack? No thank you!

You might want to read this as to why the knife failed:

My reason for posing the questions was that I wanted Forumites to think of relevance of actions, of testing a product with tasks beyond the product’s design parameters, and the resulting publicity. I have been intrigued by your answers!

Yesterday, we finally received the knife back from the Polish Umnumzaan test video. As we had stated previously, there was no way we could comment on the reported performance without inspecting the knife. I know my designs, and I know the performance capabilities of my knives. I knew there was no way that an Umnumzaan within tolerance would fail as a result of the tasks shown on the video; there had to be something else….... Did you know my knives are programmed to tell Dad what goes on when they come home, and they always tell the truth!! :)

Not shown on the video was that the knife was repeatedly spine whacked extremely hard, until the ceramic ball was deeply pounded into its pocket and into the ramp of the blade, putting the lock out of tolerance. You can see the pound marks on the back of the blade in the photo below. The hardness of the blade is 58-59 RC – it takes a lot of pounding to introduce these marks. With this treatment, there is no way any lock will stay in tolerance. An out-of-tolerance lock can fail even a light spine whack test.

I do not particularly care what people do with property for which they have legitimately paid.
Quote Stabman: “If I had the money to buy a Ferrari and proceed to use it for a rifle target, that would be my prerogative.” I totally agree.
What I cannot tolerate is inappropriate “testing”, and my legitimately made, high quality product portrayed to be inadequate when the testing is misrepresented.
Quote Scott Dog: “Publishing it and implying that a Ferrari is an inferior car because it doesn't tolerate rifle bullets is clearly crossing the line.”

I am not a big fan of the spine whack test. I don’t go fighting with my knife every day, and neither do my customers. As for slashing back and forth in an emergency situation, I believe I would be cutting carefully and rapidly, not randomly hacking and slashing. I see the test as an extrapolation of a theory, with little practical relevance.

I am not afraid of criticism and can take negative comments. All I ask is that testers be upfront with what they do, that the tests have practical relevance and that the results published represent the whole truth.

I have confidence in our product and in my staff.
We all do our very best to get the very finest to you.

Chris

Original post in this thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751449

Last edited:
"$400 knife that fails from spine whack? No thank you!"

I have a $600 plunge cut, fancy-dancy saw that I could break inside of 30 seconds on a granite boulder.
Must be a crappy saw...

You like to use knives to open boxes and letters huh? :jerkit:

I actually don't ":jerkit:" with my knives, though you are free to entertain whatever fetishes you might have.

I promise not to judge you too harshly. :rolleyes:

I just watched the spine test, and here is my opinion. If you notice he flicks the knife open and the knife opens far too quick. This is a sign that he doesn't use chris reeve grease. The grease is what makes a difference in the locking mechanism, also if you take the knife apart and don't accurately put the pieces together they don't work properly. I think he watches too many war movies, why the hell would one need to put a knife through a tire. remember that a folder is a secondary knife to a fixed blade. anyone could push out the lock-bar to make it fail. I use my knife hard at work and I have never had my sebenza fail on me. I think that people like this should have some kind of respect, and this man should consider a fix blade. also I would like to add that any person that does something like this must be lonely because he is trying to get attention.

$400 knife that fails from spine whack? No thank you!

What you don't see on this video is as important as what you do see. The "test" is a fraud. If I deliberately abuse and disable a knife before "testing" it on-camera, I can make anything happen. :jerkit:

What you don't see on this video is as important as what you do see. The "test" is a fraud. If I deliberately abuse and disable a knife before "testing" it on-camera, I can make anything happen. :jerkit:

I don't like the way you disrespect people at all. :thumbdn:

Don't you see he showed how strong the knife can be in the video??? After all these stabbings, there was only minor damage on the knife.

At this point, I think the CRK moderator should do something to this thread, please do not make this discussion too personal!

And JNewell, they did several tests, not only the spine test. All these tests except the spine test showed how strong and how good the knife is. You just ignored these.

Why on Earth are we still discussing this stupid video. It proves nothing and deserves no more attention from us.

And JNewell, they did several tests, not only the spine test. All these tests except the spine test showed how strong and how agood the knife is. You just ignored these.

Ahh, so seeing an edited video is believing.

Not shown on the video was that the knife was repeatedly spine whacked extremely hard, until the ceramic ball was deeply pounded into its pocket and into the ramp of the blade, putting the lock out of tolerance. You can see the pound marks on the back of the blade in the photo below. The hardness of the blade is 58-59 RC – it takes a lot of pounding to introduce these marks. With this treatment, there is no way any lock will stay in tolerance. An out-of-tolerance lock can fail even a light spine whack test.

Chris

This is the most important aspect and I will repost this. The knife was beaten to the degree where the lock was out of tolerance and that caused the lock to fail. We merely see some of what the user did with the knife and it held up well. He pushed it to the point of failure.

Back