umnum test from poland

Yes - we need to remember - the plural of anecdote is not data. Things do not become true because they are posted, or said, or published, repeatedly. Everything "viral" is not trvth. Or, in simple terms? - "where's the beef?" ;) :)

Yup!!! So I'm over this video as fast as I got to it and about to order my umnum.

Hi all,

acc. to the information of the parcel service the knife was delivered to the recipient (CRK).

Have a nice day.

Or evening, whatever (10:45 P.M. here).

cool. Still following this thread. CUrious to hear what happened to it, as all of us probably. thanks for hte update

As you all know, I did my own testing on the umnumzaan lol
attachment.php
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746005

After carefully inspecting my zaan, I found out that the part where the bearing makes contact with tang is also dented although not so much as the one in pics in earlier posts.

I am a big fan of CRK, I own 2 Mnandis (one with serial number - 33), 1 Classic Large Sebbie, 1 limited edition large sebbie with calfornia burl handle slab (if memory serves, it's the year 1999), 1 professional soldier and I sleep next to my beloved Mountaineer. So, I am not saying this to discredit CRK. I still love my CRK knives nevertheless.

But I must admit that I am shocked with this dent. Why ? I don't even use the zaan; I don't know how the dent could develop. I would like to hear from CRK as well.

I use my Umnumzaan every day and the contact point is marked as well. I think "dent" would be the wrong word to use as it's little more than a mark from the ceramic detent ball contacting the tang. While it's easy to see I can only just detect it if I use a scribe or tooth pic to feel for it.

As to why it would be on an unused knife. The knife will at least be opened and closed a few times before leaving the CRK factory and that would be enough to mark the tang.

What's the big deal if it leaves a small dent? DOes it make the knife less strong or unsafe?

After carefully inspecting my zaan, I found out that the part where the bearing makes contact with tang is also dented although not so much as the one in pics in earlier posts.

I am a big fan of CRK, I own 2 Mnandis (one with serial number - 33), 1 Classic Large Sebbie, 1 limited edition large sebbie with calfornia burl handle slab (if memory serves, it's the year 1999), 1 professional soldier and I sleep next to my beloved Mountaineer. So, I am not saying this to discredit CRK. I still love my CRK knives nevertheless.

But I must admit that I am shocked with this dent. Why ? I don't even use the zaan; I don't know how the dent could develop. I would like to hear from CRK as well.

What's the big deal if it leaves a small dent? DOes it make the knife less strong or unsafe?

There should not be a "dent" in the tang of the knife. As far I recall from my conversation with Chris there should not.

The ball will cause a small section of polishing on the tang. I can see this on my knife, but there shouldn't be a gouge or dent.

Its widely known that the ceramic detent ball is much harder than the blade steel. It will wear a small groove in the blade steel from opening or closing. This in no way will effect the knife and is basically part of the break-in of the knife. It does not effect the strength or safety of the knife or its design. Chris develops these knives over years of research and before he puts them into production, he thoroughly tests them to perform perfectly in their intended use, which is..........Cutting. I laugh at people that have nohing better to do than to pick at perfection :D

Has CRK EVER put out a Unsafe Knife ??? A knife with a poor design that caused people to get hurt ??? A Resounding NO IS The Answer !!!
If you do get hurt with a knife, its because you were careless or were not using its for its intended purpose which is ??............Cutting ! I have been cut Many times over the years while using knives and Never Once did I blame the knife or its design. I blamed myself.

I believe I am saying this on behalf of those who have concerns about this particular 'problem'. We are not picking at perfection, but we are looking for justification in spending $400 for one folder. The sebenza usually costs less at dealers, and it doesn't have any easy-to-spot 'problems' like the one that we are discussing in this thread. I believe this is what people are looking for in paying premium price for a folder. If I want a folder that I use only for cutting without minding any other variables (aesthetics, safety, durability, materials, etc.), I'd probably go for a cheaper one. Even a Chinese cheapies can cut pretty well if you know how to re-sharpen them. However, in this case, safety is of the concern. Will the wear at the tang affect the safety of the zaan ?

I am not trying to discredit CRK, but I am merely looking for explanation from CR and his team.

Just my 0.02 on the subject.

..........but I am merely looking for explanation from CR and his team.

Then phone them and ask them personally. They do not sit and watch the forums constantly as far as I know because they are way to small company. You will surely get an answer much faster that way.

I currently am residing outside of the States, so phone is way too expensive. I have full confident that the thread starter or someone from CRK will clarify this. :)

IMO, it looks like hyperextending the lockbar is what caused it to fail. The contact area with the tange is so small that tweaking the lockbar too far away from the tange could cause the ball to rest too close to the edge of the tange. Just my 2 cents, but it seems like of any knife design, the Umnum would benefit the most from a Hinderer type lockbar stabilizer.

BTW, the tanto blade is sweet.

I'm fairly surprised to see that this thread still exists.

I'd hate to think that a newcomer would come strolling through with a first CRK purchase in mind, see this thread, and thus be swayed.

Not fair to CRK at all that a haphazard and absurd "test" would do anything to tarnish their sterling reputation.

I'm fairly surprised to see that this thread still exists.

I'd hate to think that a newcomer would come strolling through with a first CRK purchase in mind, see this thread, and thus be swayed.

Not fair to CRK at all that a haphazard and absurd "test" would do anything to tarnish their sterling reputation.

Unfortunately, the other "tests" that have resulted in broken CRKs have been known to sway peoples' opinions as this one undoubtably will. All we can really hope for is that these folks will eventually be influenced by reason instead of these dramatic displays.

IMO, it looks like hyperextending the lockbar is what caused it to fail. The contact area with the tange is so small that tweaking the lockbar too far away from the tange could cause the ball to rest too close to the edge of the tange. Just my 2 cents, but it seems like of any knife design, the Umnum would benefit the most from a Hinderer type lockbar stabilizer.

BTW, the tanto blade is sweet.

Yes! The Umnumzaan definitely would be improved with a hinderer type add on, but it would look so tacky in the process. One of the things that that I've noticed on my Umnumzaan is that because of the ball lock face, the lock bar can be pushed vertically down as well as horizontally in while engaged. I've never had a knife with as much lock bar play as my Umnumzaan. I still think it's an improved Sebenza but it can be improved further by widening the handle to make the lock bar a bit more stable and the knife more comfortable overall.

Yes! The Umnumzaan definitely would be improved with a hinderer type add on, but it would look so tacky in the process. One of the things that that I've noticed on my Umnumzaan is that because of the ball lock face, the lock bar can be pushed vertically down as well as horizontally in while engaged. I've never had a knife with as much lock bar play as my Umnumzaan. I still think it's an improved Sebenza but it can be improved further by widening the handle to make the lock bar a bit more stable and the knife more comfortable overall.

Lock bar play? :confused: I just pulled out my Umnumzaan and thumbed it open. Now I'm squeezing the handle quite hard. Lock bar moves barely.

Have you had an issue with "lock bar play" that causes the knife to not perform? If so please tell us, and CRK! I'm sure they would be quite keen in fixing this, if it was actually a problem.

I have noticed the lock bar vertical play, too. More than any other knife I've used.
It doesn't seem to be a problem.

I have noticed the lock bar vertical play, too. More than any other knife I've used.
It doesn't seem to be a problem.

It moves.
It moves a fair bit due to the length of bar and its narrowness.
It does not take much force at all to squeeze it up.
However, lock-up still remains solid.
I would prefer a wider bar though, to eliminate the travel, regardless of how it affects lock-up.

my opinion was influenced by this thread when it was first started. greatly influenced. right after watching the video my on the fence decision about to get a zaan was settled.

and when i recieved my zaan, my first CRK, i was simply blown away. i could not put it down for weeks. its by far my favorite knife.

Back