Upcoming Cold Steel 5MAX

jux t

Gold Member
Found a picture of a Cold Steel 5MAX, not yet released to the public. Shared via a Cold Steel employee.

This thing looks huge! I’m not necessarily interested in buying, but I’m sure some here would like to see it. Going to be S35VN and around $450, according to the source.
Compared to an AD10:
2B4BFCD0-1000-4EBC-BC59-E424AF2B6DC0.jpeg

I can understand why people like these chunky knives. Especially with certain laws regarding carry knife lengths and the strength of a thick blade. But for me a carry folding knife needs a flipper and if I'm getting this chunky of a blade I'd rather go fixed. I understand the convenience of carrying a folder, but those CS pocket clips really are not convenient to use IME. That being said I see myself getting a couple of these types in and future.. anyways.. lol

The 4Max already weighs the same as my S!K 7/7, which has kept me from buying one. I can't imagine this bigger version. They're definitely cool, but the weight makes it harder for me to justify. The XL clip point Voyage feels my niche for a large woodland folder. I do love the look of the 4Max though! She's a beaut!

Thanks for posting the pic, I was curious what these was going to be like. I expected a monster but I’m still taken aback seeing it next to the AD10.

The s35vn 4Max is officially priced at $425, so $450 official price makes sense. That 4max goes down to $180 actual price though, so I imagine we'll see this at <= $250 sooner or later.

Found a picture of a Cold Steel 5MAX, not yet released to the public. Shared via a Cold Steel employee.

This thing looks huge! I’m not necessarily interested in buying, but I’m sure some here would like to see it. Going to be S35VN and around $450, according to the source.
Compared to an AD10:
View attachment 2167387
Hope this ain't just a hoax or them putting out a feeler prototype , but never coming to market . :(

I'd grab a nice cheap "Scout " version, on sale at a steep discount ! ;)

Compared to an AD10:
View attachment 2167387
Assuming the pic is real and taken from the the same perspective, to show true relative proportions, the 5 Max has a significantly fatter handle than the 4 Max .

Even the 4 Scout handle is barely fatter than the AD10 .

Might need some big Sasquatch mitts to get a proper grip on the 5 . ;)

I also noticed that in the 5 Max pic it doesn't have the hole for the pin like the 4Max's do also. One less step in the build, I guess that should help to keep the cost down a little.

Probably a prototype for the 5 Max. The extra-hole is for a milling-jig, when in full production. This one will be the ultimate survival-folder. A 5 Scout in AUS-10A will be the 'order-of-the-day' for Cold Steel, since many will want to purchase the 'bargain-version' of this monlithic folder. I suspect, the 5 Max will eventually list for around $375.00 USD. If your into the 'over-sized' Cold Steel warblades, this one will be nothing strange to those who routinely-carry Espadas, Spartans, Voyager XL's, and Talwars. Why will people opt to have, and carry monster-knives like the Mayhem, and the 5 Max? Quite simply: because we can, and will. Lynn Thompson innately understood the Cold Steel ethos.

Last edited:
the Cold Steel ethos.
If GSM wants to fill the boots of Old CS, or even surpass the Tri-ad with their new Atlas , they'll have to go big .

No... they'll have to go HUGE ! And at a reasonable price .

Like at least XL Espada size and strength . I'd love to see them step up and really become worthy of the name "Cold Steel" . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I believe they'd much rather half-ass, BS and bluff their way ; while using the brand name to market more and more cheap crap . :mad:

...for a pin to be inserted , to block the blade from closing, if the lock fails .

Demko put one on the proto for LCT and the guys to play with , that IIRC was slightly larger and fit a common size rod/pin

Anyways , that's what I believe I read long ago . My memory is now like a sieve . :p
I read this as well that LTC was going to take it to Africa on one of his hunting trips and Andrew didn't want the Boss to get hurt in any way using the new 4 Max knife over there.

...for a pin to be inserted , to block the blade from closing, if the lock fails .

Demko put one on the proto for LCT and the guys to play with , that IIRC was slightly larger and fit a common size rod/pin

Anyways , that's what I believe I read long ago . My memory is now like a sieve . :p
From what I remember of my 4Max, putting a rod thru those holes didn't really brace the blade, as there was a gap between the rod and blade tang. So I guess it would help prevent the blade from closing if something broke, but if it wedged tight against the blade it would help prevent anything from breaking in the first place.

Back