Upcoming Cold Steel 5MAX

From what I remember of my 4Max, putting a rod thru those holes didn't really brace the blade, as there was a gap between the rod and blade tang. So I guess it would help prevent the blade from closing if something broke, but if it wedged tight against the blade it would help prevent anything from breaking in the first place.
Pretty sure I read that on the custom Demko version, the pin did wedge against the tang. They kept the hole on the production version just cause, and it could still be used I guess but no longer wedged tight against the tang.

Imagine that beast in 3V? Now that would be cool....
That's the way they sold me a Magnum Warcraft Tanto XL, it was a huge amount of 3V and didn't look like garbage (though it do look like a Dune prop) for the money, so now I have a slab of 3V to hack stuff with if that's ever a kind of chore I have to do and a sweet 21st century hanger regardless

Well hallelujah, if the photograph is true and if this thread is truthful there is hope for Cold steel. I hope this is not a hoax. If they bring it to production I'm in. I didn't think I'd ever say that

I am a big fan of Cold steel nonetheless

Have to admit some surprise at such a positive reaction to these. I like big knives and I cannot lie, but the 5max might be too much even for me. Really look forward to seeing one in-hand.

I like the AD-10, and don't really feel the 4Max fills any needs the AD-10 doesn't. The 5Max looks like it just might!

I purchased a 5 -Max recently. I have owned five 4-max knives, two American made, two Taiwan CS Scout, and one GSM CS Taiwan Scout.

IMHO the S35VN 5-Max is too expensive for what it is at $ 300 +. I recommend waiting for the 5-Max Scout which will come out at some time.

My opinions about the 5-Max:

Can be used by someone with small hands like me.

It says Demko on the blade and has a Tri-Ad lock

It is well made and comes very sharp.

It is obviously from the "Max Family" but is is not a scaled up 4. The "jimping" is on the blade not the handle like the 4's. The tip of the blade is thinner (both good and bad depending on use).

The handle is relatively smooth G-10 and I prefer the coarser Grivory of my 4-Max

The blade is nicely coated black while I prefer plain stonewash.

I prefer the 4-Max.

I will sell this version of the 5-Max and get a 5-Max Scout when they come out.

I purchased a 5 -Max recently. I have owned five 4-max knives, two American made, two Taiwan CS Scout, and one GSM CS Taiwan Scout.

IMHO the S35VN 5-Max is too expensive for what it is at $ 300 +. I recommend waiting for the 5-Max Scout which will come out at some time.

My opinions about the 5-Max:

Can be used by someone with small hands like me.

It says Demko on the blade and has a Tri-Ad lock

It is well made and comes very sharp.

It is obviously from the "Max Family" but is is not a scaled up 4. The "jimping" is on the blade not the handle like the 4's. The tip of the blade is thinner (both good and bad depending on use).

The handle is relatively smooth G-10 and I prefer the coarser Grivory of my 4-Max

The blade is nicely coated black while I prefer plain stonewash.

I prefer the 4-Max.

I will sell this version of the 5-Max and get a 5-Max Scout when they come out.
I’d like to see a side by side of the 5 & 4 tip
/top of blade profiles, any way you could post a pic?

This is the best I can do on short notice. I use my 4-Max Scout as an EDC and it feels great in my small hands. The 5-Max is more like my Espada Large and Voyager Vaquero, can be carried and feel reasonable in the hand but not something I consider EDC.

Attachments

• Max 45 Tips.jpg
    Max 45 Tips.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Max 45 Jimp.jpg
    Max 45 Jimp.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Max 45 Knives.jpg
    Max 45 Knives.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 20
This is the best I can do on short notice. I use my 4-Max Scout as an EDC and it feels great in my small hands. The 5-Max is more like my Espada Large and Voyager Vaquero, can be carried and feel reasonable in the hand but not something I consider EDC.
Thanks!

Another Jimmy vid ,but does compare 5 Max to other Cold Steel models .

Yeah , looks pretty good to me ...but not for $300 .

Hope eventually for a nice cheap 5 Max , on sale ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had to have one so I broke my rule about "no black blades" and shouldn't have. I decided to put my 5-Max up for sale and wait on a plain blade version.

I had to have one so I broke my rule about "no black blades" and shouldn't have. I decided to put my 5-Max up for sale and wait on a plain blade version.
Yea, I really prefer the polished blade on my AD10. Only black blades I typically buy are in carbon steel. I'm just not a fan of the black blade look on the 5Max or most stainless folders.

I prefer polished.. I don't mind the black coating on the AD10 in the original post, but I don't like the parkerized look on the 5 Max, it looks cheap to me. A knife that expensive should not have a cheap look to it.

Last edited:
Back