Updated sheaths (yummy goodness)

So Here are the best sheaths to date. The only thing that I didn't do, that I could have was groove the stitching in the back. I am not convinced that was really important to what I wanted to do. So I just left it.

The last pic is of the same exact sheath design as before with the quilting for a sister knife that I made, but I fixed the quilting near the tip this time.

And all the edges are even and square and polished to 500 grit.

How do these sit with you guys now, minus the groove stitching on the back? I did hear you guys about it, I thought about it, and decided against it.

IMG_3248_zps5e85ead9.jpg

IMG_3250_zpsfb2bd4d9.jpg

IMG_3252_zps96bd92b6.jpg

IMG_3254_zpsf6a38321.jpg

IMG_3256_zps79f036fe.jpg

IMG_3255_zps0ce21c44.jpg

IMG_3258_zpsae3bae24.jpg

IMG_3259_zps4c8397e5.jpg

Mccandmatt - thanks. I probably don't need the knives in the pic but it helps show what the sheath goes with.

:thumbup:

The seemingly small things you have changed and worked on have resulted in a huge quality jump in my uneducated opinion .

Ken

:thumbup:

The seemingly small things you have changed and worked on have resulted in a huge quality jump in my uneducated opinion .

Ken

Thanks Ken, I like leather working the more I do it. My fingers hurt though.... So I didn't get the sheath for my spyderco mule done... Sad day.

Thanks Ken, I like leather working the more I do it. My fingers hurt though.... So I didn't get the sheath for my spyderco mule done... Sad day.

Yeah I have really been enjoying leather working a lot myself. I love making knives but there is still base geometry that you have to follow for a good functional design where for me leather is more of a blank canvas and you can really really let the creative juices flow.

no stitch groove on the back……..good! It is my very personal opinion that it is not needed. It neither adds nor detracts so why bother?

Paul

And since I was showing you guys my latest sheaths, here is one that I made for me.

IMG_3284_zpsb64a420e.jpg

Here is it on my belt, bad light from my phone, but I am using it.

81D4D380-002B-4E10-BC17-21083C8FDF4E_zpswfoxeawy.jpg

Thanks. Couldn't have done it without the help of the guys on the forum. And Paul Long taking the time to answer questions

no stitch groove on the back……..good! It is my very personal opinion that it is not needed. It neither adds nor detracts so why bother?

Paul

Paul, It has always been my opinion that the stitch groove on the back allows, as it does in the front, the thread to sit in this groove and reduce wear on the stitch. Abrasion can cause failure.

That is my opinion, and I would love to hear why you differ from it. I never questioned this 'wisdom' before and am always interested to hear and learn more.

TF

Tal, this is one of those deals where we are both right. It just boils down to opinion and your is as good as mine.

Most sheaths never see enough use, hard use, to be concerned about abrasive wear to the back of the sheath since when worn it is protected by the relatively soft body and clothing. The same reasoning makes dressing up the back of the sheath with grooves or tooling a wasted effort. When in use nobody sees it, so it just as well not be there. Save time and effort for another project.

Now with hand stitching the groove does offer a guideline for aligning the back side stitches, but a lightly scribed line with a compass would accomplish the same thing. Since I have long ago gone to the dark side and use machines whenever and wherever I can the "rules of engagement" have changed and along with it my attitude toward certain things and the advice I offer as a result.

Always remember, my way is not the only way most times. My way is developed from years of practical experience, but newer and better ways are developed daily. I adapt most of the time to the newer and better, but still hang on to a few old habits that still work the best for me.

I'm always ready to help by answering a question or giving how to advice, but as you develop your own style you may find that a different route works best for you and that's exactly the way it should be.

Paul

Back