Updated sheaths (yummy goodness)

That is a very good post Paul .
It has just made me realise how everyone is different and that is how their individual styles and likes develop over time . In my limited time I've been attempting to make sheaths I've always grooved the stitch line on the back of the sheath .
I only hand stitch ( don't own a machine , and probably never will ) .
It makes a cleaner and more precise finish to my work . Also I make folder sheaths that are worn everyday and often in rural work environments and I feel that stitching damage is a real possibility , so the fraction of protection the groove provides is worth the extra few minutes of work during production .
I try to put as much effort and attention into the back of the sheath as the front . I'm creating a whole item , not just a storefront facade .
I don't sell my sheaths , it is purely a hobby and entertainment for me , so time and effort are a commodity that I have .
If I was sheath making commercially I'm sure it would be different . Because I don't know what I'm doing half the time , or I'm trying new things , it actually takes me hours and hours to make a sheath . If some poor fellow was paying me they would have to go see the bank manager for a loan :)

Ken

I am wearing one sheath everyday, started this week. We will see how it holds up on the back. If it wears down and the thread starts to fray I will think about the groove on the back. But until then, it will be part of my style.

Good discussion.

All of you gentlemen who are relatively new to the leather game are at one rate or another starting to develop you own style. Right now your work resembles to a great degree, I would think, the work of someone you admire, or has helped you along. That is, your work reflects the influence of his or her work. Right now I'm seeing a lot of work out there that resembles my style. Those DVDs, I would think, are in part, large or small, responsible for that. There are a couple of guys putting out work that I have to check out twice to be sure it is NOT mine…….but given time these guys will amend their methods and their work will take on their own very personal style.

Several years ago I complained to my good friend Sandy Morrissy at the Blade Show that all my work (sheath work) had started to look alike and I was worried about the lack of diversity. He laughed and said "My friend you have finally developed your own unique style, and that's a very good thing. I can now walk through Blade and pick out your work without ever picking it up."

I can recognize the work of several of you newer guys, much the same way. Tal and Ken both have little unique features that are a dead give away of who made it. Claude Scott is another, but his style is still very close to mine. I have to see his mark to be sure it isn't mine. Mark Condos is still another. When I see this I can't help but be proud to have had a small part in that development.

Then we get down to opinions which, in this instance are relatively unimportant in the big picture. If you want to tool the back or put a groove back there, have at it……and if you don't that's okay too, because it will all find a place in your evolving style.
The really important thing is to keep reaching. Never be satisfied, or think "it's good enough". If you do you will stop growing.

As always, if you think I can help, I'm just an email or a phone call away.

Paul

Let me tell you a story: Way back in the dark ages, circa 1998, I was searching for a knife that would put up with the abuse that I tended to put one through, I found it. Then I went looking for a leather sheath that would rank up with the knife, I didn't find it. Either the leather was too thin, and/or the stitching would unravel in the first year.

Enter 2001, I quit my job, got tired of being talked down to by someone that had a high school education and an abusive attitude, long story short I almost lost my cool.

I knew leather from my armor making days, and I knew how to make it last under punishing conditions. oooh! I can make knife sheaths that could be the same way! Get good leather, good tools, and use what I know about hard use and make a sheath that could stand up to it.

Today, I make sheaths meant not to just be used but used HARD. Dont assume anything because when you do it will come back and bite you in the butt. My leather is too thick, my thread is too thick, and my hardware is too heavy. I groove the back of the sheath for stitching because its a potential weak spot on a sheath meant to be used hard. I use wax instead of acrylic based sealers because I dont want a wet sheath to have the moisture sealed in it, and I want the user to be able to wax and condition his sheath simply and easily.

I over build my sheaths for makers that over build their knives for the users who over use their gear. Period. Y'all should see some of the sheaths that come back from over in the Sand Box and other hard users for spiff ups, wow!

Now, this is MY philosophy. Just like some knife makers make safe queens, so do some sheath makers and I do not disparage them for doing so. I have a few safe queens in my cabinet too, knives I'll never use. But I do expect the same from everyone else weather I get it or not. Mid 90's to now doing leather, and 2001 to now full time I hope gets me a little nod for experience? :p

I want to thank you guys for posting about all this.

I have talked to Paul about it and even talked to other knife makers about this because I am indeed influenced by the makers who I respect and like their work, knives or sheaths. I have been told to thanks the makers and guys you learn from and acknowledge where you get the ideas from.

I make sheaths like Paul because I love his work, I think he is the best, and I purchased his DVDs so I could learn and emulate how he did his work.

I love Nick wheeler, Jason knight and Ryan weeks as knife makers and my designs show it.

It use to really really bother me. But after talking to some of the guys, Nick, Jason and Paul, I was told that it is ok and you learn that way and then develop some aspects of what your own style will be eventually.

But I am sure some guys look down on me for it.

Last edited:
Dwayne, my friend, I don't really know how to take your post. You can't see it on your monitor, but I just gave you a great big nod for experience. I don't know anyone who does a better job on what I call tactical or military type sheaths for ultra hard use.

When you think about it, back to that Blade show when we all got together for the "family photo" You, me, Sandy, Lifter, and (RIP) Dave Cole, each one of us doing leather nearly or all the way full time, and not one of us competed with the other, because the genre in which we worked was completely different for the most part. It's still pretty much that way. I don't stray into your style and you don't stray into mine and that's not because we can't…..it's because we're too busy just staying caught up in what we have chosen to do best. Whenever I do get and inquiry for the really, really heavy, hard use gear, I refer them to you.

Paul

I want to thank you guys for posting about all this.

I have talked to Paul about it and even talked to other knife makers about this because I am indeed influenced by the makers who I respect and like their work, knives or sheaths. I have been told to thanks the makers and guys you learn from and acknowledge where you get the ideas from.

I make sheaths like Paul because I love his work, I think he is the best, and I purchased his DVDs so I could learn and emulate how he did his work.

I love Nick wheeler, Jason knight and Ryan weeks as knife makers and my designs show it.

It use to really really bother me. But after talking to some of the guys, Nick, Jason and Paul, I was told that it is ok and you learn that way and then develop some aspects of what your own style will be eventually.

But I am sure some guys look down on me for it.

I agree , this is a very interesting subject , and this sort of discussion is what makes this forum great .
Your last sentence in your quoted post , really got me thinking .
I personally think everyone is influenced by someone , Paul mentioned that in an earlier post .
If all you are trying to do is recreate someones work as an exact copy then you are a kind of Forger ( Forgery is not really the right word , but i cant think of the word i want ,that being said , Forgery is in itself an extremely difficult thing and an art form of its own )
But if you are picking and choosing the details and design outlines from another sheathmaker that really impress and intrigue you , then that is just design evolution and is as old as mankind . When one cave man saw another cave man cutting something with a sharp rock , he took the idea and made his own sharp rock , it is the way design breeds and morphs into increasingly better ,more efficient results .
If people look down apon you , they are the ones with the problem , and are people I would have zero tolerance for .

Ken

Last edited:
This thread just took a turn for the awesome.

Great post Paul, and frankly it gives me something to think about.

I think I am going to stitch one up a little damp on the back and see what I think of the result. No harm can be done that is for sure.

I have to say - when I looked at this thread I had to go back to the top a few times to see if this sheath wasn't Pauls. The back finally gave it away to me - but that is cheating. :)

In most Asian countries in their schooling system they have a totally different way to cite their sources in their writing. In fact, in most cases, when quoting or emulating an accepted master - one simply does not quote or cite. The thinking is that you are emulating a master - which is a wise thing to do - you don't have to cite your source. It is simply considered a wise thing to do.

If you are emulating Paul, Sandy, Chuck, Dwayne, Rayban, G2, and many others that I have posted with on this board - I don't think that you have gone wrong. Weatherman NEVER tried to pass his work off as Paul's and flatly said that he was emulating him. Paul knows he didn't invent the sheath, the lined sheath, or the butterfly sheath. He has his flair on it - and that is what makes it his. For Weatherman to emulate that - just seems wise. With that said - it is also wise IMHO for him to branch out from there and develop his own flair.

My work is very simple. I strive to make it look simple. I work to try to make myself more efficient and better every day I sew. I am still a hobbiest - and don't have a need to change that right now. However, when I look at the little life Paul has carved out for himself. I am almost excited for the day I do decide to give it a go just crafting for a living.

Anyway - I am just rambling now - great thread fellas - great thread.

TF

Dwayne, my friend, I don't really know how to take your post. You can't see it on your monitor, but I just gave you a great big nod for experience. I don't know anyone who does a better job on what I call tactical or military type sheaths for ultra hard use.

When you think about it, back to that Blade show when we all got together for the "family photo" You, me, Sandy, Lifter, and (RIP) Dave Cole, each one of us doing leather nearly or all the way full time, and not one of us competed with the other, because the genre in which we worked was completely different for the most part. It's still pretty much that way. I don't stray into your style and you don't stray into mine and that's not because we can't…..it's because we're too busy just staying caught up in what we have chosen to do best. Whenever I do get and inquiry for the really, really heavy, hard use gear, I refer them to you.

Paul

:D No worries at all my friend, I hope it didn't come off as gruff or competitive because it wasn't. :) Design philosophies are so varied that they all really have a place no matter what. There is a place for them all, and all of us.

Just because my and your philosophies seem to be at each end of the board, they really arent all that different. We do the absolute best we can do, bar none.

Honestly, I dont think I have ever written all I believe about sheath making in one post before, holy crap thats a lot of words! :p

All in all, I do love arguing with you, most people get all flustered, you argue with facts and experience. That means the world to me.

Well Dwayne - you are a big poopy doo doo head.

As you can tell. I teach Logic for a living.

I know - be intimidated by my prowess. ;)

TF

:p Evidently I am downright mean and rude sometimes, just ask those unfortunate members who needed a nudge. :D

Ooh! Logic! One of my favorite classes in college! :) I'd love to go back for a higher level someday.

but

I am a math deficient person, I just cant get the upper level stuff like Calculus. Maybe I am a logic savant? :p

The professor did mention a certain type of thinker, but I cant remember it for the life of me.

:p Evidently I am downright mean and rude sometimes, just ask those unfortunate members who needed a nudge. :D

Ooh! Logic! One of my favorite classes in college! :) I'd love to go back for a higher level someday.

but

I am a math deficient person, I just cant get the upper level stuff like Calculus. Maybe I am a logic savant? :p

The professor did mention a certain type of thinker, but I cant remember it for the life of me.

There are plenty of things you can do in college that do not need Calculus, or you only need to pass one semester. Don't let that keep you from doing it if you are serious.

Calculus is the least of my worries. I have a BFA in Fine Art with a couple of years of grad school. Unfortunately the sheer number of hours required for a MFA is daunting to say the least, its very close to a doctorate. Then there is the whole portfolio acceptance thing.

If I ever go back to art, which I fully intend to do, a Masters in in my future. :) Heck, I am going to be teaching art in the fall, and that is a good start!

Calculus is the least of my worries. I have a BFA in Fine Art with a couple of years of grad school. Unfortunately the sheer number of hours required for a MFA is daunting to say the least, its very close to a doctorate. Then there is the whole portfolio acceptance thing.

If I ever go back to art, which I fully intend to do, a Masters in in my future. :) Heck, I am going to be teaching art in the fall, and that is a good start!

I understand. I am in grad school right now. This is a hobby for me, super part time, knife maker and leather worker.

Interesting thread! I didn't expect to get a crash course on the character of the frequenters of this forum. Like a few other forums that I regular, the vibe is cool.

What I did expect to see is more fine work from the op. I'd be willing to bet that you don't get any flak around here for putting a tactical knife in a sweet leather sheath. ;)

Nice work man. Looking forward to seeing more.

Oh, and btw, I'm stoked to hear that I don't *have* to groove the back. I was kinda sweating that, and while I'm not usually one to bone out on the hard step, I appreciate knowing that it's at least an option. :)

There is such a thing as 'dyscalcula'. It is like dyslexia but with numbers.

I had a student last year - he could SMOKE propositional calculus because it had letters - give him the same equation with numbers - he was toast.

TF

Weatherman. Don't tell him I said anything - but KT doesn't know much about leather.

I am trying to teach the young man about embellishing his designs - but he seems stuck in "simpler is better" mode.

TF

Back