Upping the ante

Started a new front pocket wallet last night and really tried to do the best job I could with my stamping skillset. This is what I came up with. If you remember my past posts regarding stamping attempts, this is order of multitudes better. Please note that due to the curling of the leather things look a little distorted. It'll look right when it's all sewn and flat. Anyway, now I have to stop by Sheridan Leather and pick up some finishing products - Neetsfoot oil, RTC, and maybe an antiquing product. Have a great weekend guys! You know what I'll be doing :D

20140029363_ed90f6e92b_c.jpg

it looks good if its anything like the last one im sure it will look awesome cant wait to see the finished product shoot me a pm on what it would cost me to get one of these things, if they will be for sale.

\

Ok that is looking cool!!! Nice job!

What size push beader did you get btw?

Thanks Dave, that means a lot coming from a man of your skills! I got a #1. Barry's brother Ryan was telling me he does 75+% of his work with a #1. Might have to pick up a little larger at some point as well. The push beader is a great tool but can be very frustrating. I have a hard time not slipping with it. Learned I have to take my time and use light pressure several times until I get my second track cut, then start applying more pressure.

I love the fact that you left the outside simple and the inside decorative! I like things that gives you a nice surprise when you open them! :)

wow, totally awesome! and once again, great looks with the shark skin.

two questions: did you dye the inside or antique it? and could you link or post a picture so that i can understand what a push beader is? cause from earlier comments i guess that it is something that would work much better than the border stamp that i abuse for smoothing one side of a cut... or maybe i am totally wrong.

also i wouldn't mind if you could elaborate a bit more on how you use that thing...

oh, and one more... where do you guys get shark skin in the states and does it have a special name? so far absolutely no luck over here.

I love the fact that you left the outside simple and the inside decorative! I like things that gives you a nice surprise when you open them! :)

Thank you sir! I've always had an affinity for things that were finished as well or better in places you can't easily see as places you can. A good example of that would be a mechanical watch movement that is highly decorated and extremely well finished even though the watch has a solid caseback. To me it's just indicative of true quality, pride of manufacture and craftsmanship. I try to emulate such things in anything I make. My skills don't usually match the level I'd like to achieve but I try none the less.

wow, totally awesome! and once again, great looks with the shark skin.

two questions: did you dye the inside or antique it? and could you link or post a picture so that i can understand what a push beader is? cause from earlier comments i guess that it is something that would work much better than the border stamp that i abuse for smoothing one side of a cut... or maybe i am totally wrong.

also i wouldn't mind if you could elaborate a bit more on how you use that thing...

oh, and one more... where do you guys get shark skin in the states and does it have a special name? so far absolutely no luck over here.

Thank you for the compliments! I antiqued it. I realize now I didn't get all the stamping evenly filled in so I will probably go back and add to the spots that are lacking with a QTip and reseal it tonight. My process was to darken it with neetsfoot oil and let that dry, then seal it with BeeNatural RTC (acrylic resolene I believe) and let that dry, then antique it with Fiebings Sheridan Brown and let that dry, and finally come back and seal it with RTC again. First time trying it out but I was pleased with the results and contrast it gives to the stamping.

My push beader is from Barry King tools and here is a link to the page: http://barrykingtools.com/handtools.htm
I believe its the second tool to the right and I got a number 1 size as Barry's brother Ryan showed me in the shop that he uses a #1 for most of what he does. I think it's a good size for me as I do mostly small wallets, holsters and knife sheaths. If I were to do saddles or other larger things, I'd want a bigger size. I think you'll see when you look at the tool how it works. There's also some good youtube videos explaining how to use a push beader. My biggest issue is slipping and making unintended marks with it. I found I have to go slow and light with multiple passes and then start putting more pressure on the leather to get a nice bead / border. Proper casing of the leather prior to beading is essential too.

I got my shark from a guy named Jerry VanAmburg at our last leather show here in Sheridan, WY. Nice guy out of Idaho that seems to be the go to guy for all things exotic in the states. I've also gotten some shark from Maverick leather out of California but Jerry's seems to be nicer and better priced. Here is a link to his site although he doesn't seem to keep stock updated there so it's probably best to call: vanamburgleathers.com
Hopefully that helps!

Damn fine job. That looks real nice.

Thank you!

looks good!

Thank you!

it looks good if its anything like the last one im sure it will look awesome cant wait to see the finished product shoot me a pm on what it would cost me to get one of these things, if they will be for sale.

\

Thank you! I appreciate it! Yeah, right now, I'm only making things for myself as I do not have a sewing machine or enough experience to make the time I put into it reasonably priced for someone to buy. One of these wallets takes me all weekend to make (working off and on) where as one of the Kings I'm friends with here in Sheridan makes a similar wallet who's fit and finish blows mine away and is made in several hours. Of course he's got all the right tools and many years of experience where as I'm going on about 5 months of doing leather and have very few tools. Maybe some day I'll get to the point where I can sell my stuff but for now, I'm just making it for myself and occasionally my close friends and family. Thank you for the interest though, I am very honored that you like my work!

Started something new and different last night. I have a bit of a fountain pen collection and this should make a nice way to carry them...

20928316635_0b8da07f82_b.jpg

20935684681_da1af184ae_b.jpg

wow, i am really impressed with the quality of your craftsmanship. and even though this is a sheath forum, i for one am always happy to something completely different.
the holes look like they are not completely punched through on the flap, do you drill them?

Very nice. Did ya wet form that loop? Make sure to keep us posted on that project as it goes along. I really like the shape of the flap. Cutting those can be an exercise in frustration.

edit: I just found post #14..., that finish looks great!
I like the finished color on that wallet. How did you finish it? I did a sheath last week and didn't dye but went with two coats of Neatsfoot and one coat of Snoseal and this is how it came out:
IMG_1582.JPG

*finally working on my web host too :)

Terence

Last edited:
wow, i am really impressed with the quality of your craftsmanship. and even though this is a sheath forum, i for one am always happy to something completely different. the holes look like they are not completely punched through on the flap, do you drill them?

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words! Good eye. Yeah, here is what I have been doing - I cut my track with the groover, lightly wet the track and run my stitch wheel over it. This one happens to be 5 SPI. I then go back (which is what you're seeing) and lightly tap a hole (but not all the way through) with a blunt needle and mallet where each of the stitch holes will go. I do this because it makes it much easier to see exactly where the needle should go when I use my drill press (not running) to punch the holes.

Very nice. Did ya wet form that loop? Make sure to keep us posted on that project as it goes along. I really like the shape of the flap. Cutting those can be an exercise in frustration.

Thanks Dave! I did lightly wet form the loop but because I got the length of it just about right, it kind of forms itself when the flap is stuck in there. I made a template out of cardboard for the case and flap and it was close but not precise. To get it better, I was able to work the leather on my belt sander a bit and get both sides even. Likely more luck than skill :). You'll see a couple finished photos of this project below. Came out quite nice.

edit: I just found post #14..., that finish looks great!
I like the finished color on that wallet. How did you finish it?
Terence

Thank you Terrence! I used several coats of neetsfoot oil and then antiqued the stamping. If you look at one of my posts toward the beginning of this thread, I explained the process.

Alright, on the finished photos of the pen case. Turned out nice, I am pretty darn happy.

21025458472_fac2439f8d_b.jpg

20847290370_cfc21244c2_b.jpg

and one more project from the weekend. Now here is a bit of a story, and I would like your input. One of my good friends has a 4th generation cattle ranch here in Wyoming. He's been very supportive of my leather hobby, letting me borrow tools, use leather, etc. from his deceased Grandfather's leather shop. I figured I needed to do something nice for him so I decided a nicely stamped checkbook cover was in order. Anyway, this was a pretty special project, I used his late Grandfather's tools to make this for him, I am also going to have my friend laser engrave the ranch's bucking bronc and their brand on the checkbook. Pretty cool eh? Anyway, the first photo (sorry it's blurry, I took them in a rush before work this morning. It looks 10X better in person) is of the checkbook cover as it sits right now, unengraved. The second is a photoshop mockup of the bronc and brand.

Here is my question to you guys: Should I have that laser engraved on just one side of the outer checkbook or both (please realize it hasn't been folded in half yet)? Do you like the size or should it be smaller? Should there be a border of some sort around the bronc? These are all questions I am playing with. Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

As of now:
21025324382_2ae05980cb_b.jpg

20414172803_1cb0796a96_b.jpg

Photoshop mockup of the laser image to be engraved:
20847051570_4d02e8ae3f_b.jpg

Back