Upping the ante

Wow... Great work. As for the bronco, I would only engrave it on the front or back side and turned 90 degrees, same orientation as your makers mark, just on the outside. If you absolutely want to go double engraving I would go with a different personal memento for the other side... Or some text. Maybe offset the bronco to the right side on the front and the name of the ranch to the left of it?

Wow... Great work. As for the bronco, I would only engrave it on the front or back side and turned 90 degrees, same orientation as your makers mark, just on the outside. If you absolutely want to go double engraving I would go with a different personal memento for the other side... Or some text. Maybe offset the bronco to the right side on the front and the name of the ranch to the left of it?

Thank you! I think you are right about only having it on one side of the outside of the checkbook. As far as turning it 90. I thought of that too but since it is kind of an elliptical shape, I'm thinking it would have to be pretty small. Your other ideas are good too. Something I will have to think about and play with. Here are a couple more mockups. What do you think about the border surrounding the bronc and brand? Yah, ney?

20848882070_fec9c35fe6_b.jpg

20850184479_9157566fdc_b.jpg

Keep posting! Your work is jumping ahead leaps and bounds! I vote for second pic, the horz version. However, I'd move it over to the left corner. That would good to my eye. Normally I like a border around a brand or initials, tell folks without its kinda like a painting without a frame. However, in that left corner next to your stamping it would be partially framed and I'd leave it. Laser... thats cheating, swivel knife and then inlay with a bar backgrounder! No just kidding. Your buddy laser onto knife steel or a bolster? Might have some work if he can.

Keep posting! Your work is jumping ahead leaps and bounds! I vote for second pic, the horz version. However, I'd move it over to the left corner. That would good to my eye. Normally I like a border around a brand or initials, tell folks without its kinda like a painting without a frame. However, in that left corner next to your stamping it would be partially framed and I'd leave it. Laser... thats cheating, swivel knife and then inlay with a bar backgrounder! No just kidding. Your buddy laser onto knife steel or a bolster? Might have some work if he can.

Thank you Dave! It's nice to see progress in one's work. Yeah I think the corner (or corners) would be most appropriate, maybe even a little smaller. Ha! I'd love to be able to carve it for him but that's way beyond my skill level at this point. I'll definitely ask him about the laser on steel / bolster. I believe they can. It's actually Barry King's brother Ryan that has the laser setup in Barry's shop.

Cool I'd appreciate it. Its an SCI logo and I think it might be too involved for my normal etching process. Thats cool we're receiving a BK order today.

Last edited:
So the decision thus far is to have the bronc horizontal in one or both corners as seen in the last photo I posted. What does everyone think about the oval border around the bronc and brand? I could go either way. Does the oval border help frame the bronc and brand or would I be better off without it? I greatly appreciate the input and kind words thus far! Here is a photo without the border for reference.

20850553760_15906b00c3_b.jpg

I like the size and placement of your last pic. Personally, I say no oval border and the engraving only on the front.
Great looking work!
Chris

I agree with Chris only on the front. However I do like the oval. Yep a push beader, #3 edger and I don't know what else. Nichole was shopping. Some women shop for clothes, some for shoes, Nichole shops at BK! Could be worse things.

I like the size and placement of your last pic. Personally, I say no oval border and the engraving only on the front.
Great looking work!
Chris

Thank you Chris! I'm pretty torn between border or not but have narrowed it down greatly by trying things in Photoshop and with the help of the forum. Thank you all!

I agree with Chris only on the front. However I do like the oval. Yep a push beader, #3 edger and I don't know what else. Nichole was shopping. Some women shop for clothes, some for shoes, Nichole shops at BK! Could be worse things.

Ha! That's funny. You are certainly correct, there could be worse things like 3 and 4 figure handbags and shoes! This way, you get to use the stuff she buys too!

yeah plus she makes her own purses! No more Dooney and Burking. Package came. She got a 24oz maul, the push beader, the #3 edger and 4 stamps. 3 bevelers and a border stamp

mt_hangglider, I've only been doing leatherwork recreationally for about 3 years. Last year I took the plunge and spent 2 hours on a Saturday morning at my local Tandy store and worked out the basics of carving. Can't say I 'm an expert, but it is fun and rewarding for me to tackle something new. Plus folks seem to appreciate the effort more if they can see the hand work. With your beautiful tooling work, I would think you would find it easy to pick up. Heck, you inspired me to try to up my tooling. Thanks, rtmind/Randy

Wow you guys have been busy. I second the vote for the smaller placement in corner. I don't like the font of the "ho!" and the letters in general, but I guess it belongs there.
U still think a motto would work nice on the back side. Or maybe something like "in God we trust" if you are into this kind of thing. Some folks have family credos, you know like the house sayings in game of thrones ;)
Or maybe something devoted to his grandfather if he liked him.

mt_hangglider, I've only been doing leatherwork recreationally for about 3 years. Last year I took the plunge and spent 2 hours on a Saturday morning at my local Tandy store and worked out the basics of carving. Can't say I 'm an expert, but it is fun and rewarding for me to tackle something new. Plus folks seem to appreciate the effort more if they can see the hand work. With your beautiful tooling work, I would think you would find it easy to pick up. Heck, you inspired me to try to up my tooling. Thanks, rtmind/Randy

Thank you sir! I appreciate the kind words. I will consider trying some carving. Maybe not on this project but soon.

Yep you're gonna have too. First you're in carving/leatherwork Mecca. Second you're down the street from the masters. Third you are showing obvious talent. Get er done.

Wow you guys have been busy. I second the vote for the smaller placement in corner. I don't like the font of the "ho!" and the letters in general, but I guess it belongs there.
U still think a motto would work nice on the back side. Or maybe something like "in God we trust" if you are into this kind of thing. Some folks have family credos, you know like the house sayings in game of thrones ;)
Or maybe something devoted to his grandfather if he liked him.

You know, I don't like the brand per se either but that is their brand. I spoke to the guy that will be doing the laser engraving and he suggested maybe putting the Bronc on one side of the front and the brand on the back or opposite corner. I think that might work too. Anyway, we'll see. I have some decisions to make. Not a real religious family but maybe an engraved line of "In memory of..." and his Grandpa's name might be appropriate. I'll give it some thought. Thanks again for the replies and thoughts!

Last edited:
Keep posting your work. I love it. That takes some serious precision to stamp with such straight designs. Especially the designs right next to straight lines and grooves. Any deviations really stand out. I tend to get impatient when stamping and end up with one of those end products that we say has "personality". ;)

I have projects with "personality" up the wazoo.

Still wrestling with placement today and am supposed to meet the engraver at noon... what do you all think of separating the brand and bronc and doing something like one of these two things?

20421068704_3cb7dd9014_b.jpg

20421069194_4bf46bb0ce_b.jpg

Keep posting your work. I love it. That takes some serious precision to stamp with such straight designs. Especially the designs right next to straight lines and grooves. Any deviations really stand out. I tend to get impatient when stamping and end up with one of those end products that we say has "personality". ;)

I have projects with "personality" up the wazoo.

Thank you for the very kind words! I have plenty of projects that turned out with "personality" as well :)

Back