"upscale" or "upgraded" Rat 1? Will we ever see more scale and steel options?

Sorry stvpourciau,

OKC Mod is someone else...much younger, smarter and better looking than me...I'm old, decrepit, and have been inhaling grinding swarf for too long.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

I'd say there's a high probability that OKC moderator is Tooj, whadd'ya think?

That would add a real "Fight Club" element to all those times I have to ask Toooj about technical details. My name is Drew, I'm in the marketing department, and part of my job here is to handle OKC's online presence. I am the admin here, on our Facebook and Twitter pages, and on ontarioknife.com (although I have help, especially for that last one).

Regardless of the man behind the mask, I'm glad Ontario had a real ear to the ground presence here and one willing to listen to us. Thank you for introducing yourself.

Good to see the Tooj here too!

One option that's definitely NOT on the table is getting rid of the current RAT 1 and 2, just to put your mind at ease on that one right now. If I suggested that, the Sales Director might actually become violent.

That was one thing I didn't like about Cold Steel's steel change, it created some confusion and a rush to get all the old stock of the previous steel. Plus prices went up some. Keep them the way they are, and ADD newer models. I realize this affects production costs, but the low price and high value of the original Rat folders is one of their major selling points, so I'm sure people will want to keep seeing the regular Rat folders at the same price. Your sales director wouldn't be the only violent one! haha

CTS-XHP would be awesome on the Rat (and Utilitac), it's essentially a stainless D2. Obviously, the price would jump a lot, and justifiably so. That said, I would gladly pay $100 for a Rat 1/2 with a CTS-XHP blade and G10 scales.

They are not Rat's, but I recently picked up an XR-1FS Rescue Folder and an XM-1D Camo for an insanely cheap price.

I have huge clumsy hands, and the thickness of these two make them fit perfectly. The quality and craftsmanship of these knifes are absolutely stellar.

If not clipped in my pocket, these knifes sit on top of my dresser in plain view. They are works of art, IMO.

Drew,
Your presence and involvement here is definitely appreciated.
I've got me a bunch of RAT-1s and a RAT-2; huge fan!!

While having an upgraded blade steel seems to be the hot item here, I would prefer, in order:

1. Milling out the liners to shed some weight.
2. Offering upgraded handle slabs such as G-10 or perhaps bone, faux bone, Micarta.
3. D2, CPM-154, ATS-134 or VG-10 blade steel ont he "Premium Models" as S30V is a bit chippy for my tastes.

1095 with bone handles would be would be a cool sprint run.

The only change I'd like to see to the original Rat 1 is redesigned pocket clip. It's always there making it's presence felt in your hand.

An upscale US made Rat would be awesome especially if it sheds some thickness and weight.

Want to upgrade, make it USA Made, I'd pay you my $$$ for that. That's the #1 thing you could do...

2nd Steel Upgrade, any CPM steel or D2 would be super.

3rd in addition to Black, add in Orange, OD Green, Coyote as standard choices.

For all three of these things I'd easily pay $100-$120...

Based on what I have read, it seems to me that there is demand for a variety of RAT options. Manufacturing capacity permitting, I would suggest the option of a few different steels (s30v, cpm154, d2, 1095, aus8) combined with various scale materials - a more personalized/custom approach. I would pay a premium for the option to build a RAT 'my style'. Let's be honest, I would like one in every flavor. [emoji106]

So basically, everyone here is looking for 3 things in an upgrade/change:

1. Premium blade steel (wouldn't matter which one honestly, most everyone would love any of the choices)
2. Upgraded handle scales (G10, micarta, etc...)
3. Milled liners (Not the heaviest of knifes, but lighter is always better)

Obviously a made in USA knife would be preferred, but the quality that comes out of your Taiwan plant is pretty excellent in my opinion. No issues is if can't be made domestic.

Make this happen guys! Seriously, were all sitting here with our mouths open and drooling at the idea of a premium folding Rat model. You'd have no problem selling them, that's for sure!

An in-house custom shop, maybe? (sort of like Buck has)
Could offer the upgraded steel(s) (and the standard steel), along with handle material options in what ever combination each customer wants.

This can easily go the way of Cold Steel.

For years people asked CS to upgrade their steel, when CS upgraded their knives from AUS8 to CTS-XHP and only raised the price by $20, people complained hard about the price and how it's now competing in Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw territory.

I just want the Rat1 to come with skeletonized liners, it's too heavy.

This can easily go the way of Cold Steel.

For years people asked CS to upgrade their steel, when CS upgraded their knives from AUS8 to CTS-XHP and only raised the price by $20, people complained hard about the price and how it's now competing in Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw territory.

I just want the Rat1 to come with skeletonized liners, it's too heavy.

I don't think Rat fans are asking for a permanent change to the model, more-so a sprint run akin to sypderco, benchmade, etc. And if we really want to see something like this materialize sooner rather than later, we should all try to lobby a retailer to pursue a special factory order.

I like the RAT's just fine like they are but would also be interested in new variations.
I just bought a second Rat II. Here is my first when it was new.
I plan on getting at least one Model 1 and some more Model 2's.
Just don't stop making these whatever you do.:)

cater to both the stainless and carbon crews? D2/N690 (both great steels and not that expensive), and 1095/52100. Everything else can stay the same, maybe G10 in assorted flavors for scales. Any way you do them, they will sell. I have 2 #1, and have gifted many to close friends as I want them to have a good quality blade that won't leave them with unpaid bills if they have to replace it.

The weight of the 1 is'nt bad at all for not being milled g10 and even d2 would be great. I'm not really an expert on steel but I don't think d2 is a very pricey steel for the performance it offers

I would love blazing orange G10 scales (aluminum or micarta would also do...), CTS-XHP black DLC bladesteel, sceletonized liners, and ionized standoffs.
Would gladly pay 120$ for that thing of beauty, if I could have a chance...talking about RAT 1 of course...

Back