Vinegaroon.

Yea, I can see your still having issues with the edges, I wonder where its coming up? I wish you were closer and could see the stages I go with. :(

I get a very smooth edge feel even before the final dye and trag. Its for lack of a better work, satiny in feel, when the dye and gum go on it becomes glassy after a good rub down. And I dont burnish for the most part unless there is a stubborn area.

I could do pictures, but like the custom dye effects thread, a LOT is lost between the frames. Maybe someday I will get a good video camera and do some vids. In the meantime I'll struggle with it.

I always like when people come in and say the shop smells great. I then remind them they are surrounded by numerous different types of dead animals that had their skins peeled off them and tanned. The look on their face just makes my day. :)

This is exactly what this forum is all about, an exchange of ideas. :)

I do love watching the process's, watching the craftsmen evolve in their craft, and hoping that I learned something along the way as well.

Sky, I think you forgot to mention that it stinks, just sayin. :p

And yes, I love the smell of gum trag, dye, and especially that smell in my shop on a muggy day when the leather lets go of its scent, that or new leather day, both fill my shop with that wonderful scent.

Personally, I think overall that sheath looks great. I would be proud of it. As far as the edges, I like to sand them lightly one last time after stitching on the sander. I finish with 220 or 400, I believe, and then touch up any bare spots with color before I move on. I rarely if ever burnish them, the fine grit sanding typically leaves it almost glass smooth. Use sharp belts, as you know, dull ones will just tear and burn the leather. Good job.

Sam :thumbup:

Yeah, I don't know. The edges are getting better though.

In the past I'd used sandpaper in an assortment of grits to try and get it as smooth as possible. This time I took it straight from the sander because the edge looked very good. Like there was almost zero nap. Beveled the corners off with a #2 then put the gum trag on. After burnishing with a nylon bone folder, I put on a very little bit of beeswax and buff with denim.

Maybe I could make a video to show you. Then you might see what I'm doing wrong.

Skyler, you're weird. I like it. :D

Back