We were all new here once

This is my first comment and I've been lurking here 3 or 4 months. I feel welcome so far!

I'd love to get my hands on a Large Sebenza 21 Drop Point, haven't bought a CRK yet, but some day will take the plunge. Any other recommendations for a starter (or quintessential) CRK? It will likely see heavy use; I don't intend to shelf it.

Welcome to BF!

Can’t go wrong with a Zaan, Inkosi or 21 in my opinion. :)

Hey there everyone.

Always loved knives since I was a youngster and had aspirations of being a ninja lol. Over the years I've had a couple mediocre pocket knives that I would keep in my car or my desk at work but I never appreciated nice knives. And one day a buddy whipped out Reate folder with a nice micarta inlay to cut a box open, man it was a nice lookin knife. At that point I realized I'd been missing out a very cool hobby. So far I've been picking up a Civivi here and a Kershaw there, but still very novice collector and edc'er.

Looking forward to learning and sharing on the forum.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
Im new here. Hope to gain knowledge on knives I have and want to buy more. Lots more.

I suppose this is the closest this Forum has to a proper New member introductions sub-forum.
Im not new to knives, but have resided on European knives forums up to this point.

I have to say that having basic functionality such as image hosting, profile pictures or private messaging behind a pay wall does not provide the most welcoming atmosphere, quite to the contrary. Im used to having to pay for creating sales threads, but this one takes the cake fellas. The beging for a subscription in the auto generated welcome message doesn't make it any less pathetic.

Since deleting an account also appears to be amongst the missing features, I seem to be stuck with it for now. What is to become of it, no one can yet know.

Edit: Oh, apparently a "basic" $10 a year membership isnt enough to post items for sale either. I actually laughed out loud when I read that one, LOL! This really seems like some sort of parody of internet forums.

Last edited:
I suppose this is the closest this Forum has to a proper New member introductions sub-forum.
Im not new to knives, but have resided on European knives forums up to this point.

I have to say that having basic functionality such as image hosting, profile pictures or private messaging behind a pay wall does not provide the most welcoming atmosphere, quite to the contrary. Im used to having to pay for creating sales threads, but this one takes the cake fellas. The beging for a subscription in the auto generated welcome message doesn't make it any less pathetic.

Since deleting an account also appears to be amongst the missing features, I seem to be stuck with it for now. What is to become of it, no one can yet know.

Edit: Oh, apparently a "basic" $10 a year membership isnt enough to post items for sale either. I actually laughed out loud when I read that one, LOL! This really seems like some sort of parody of internet forums.

This forum has been going strong since 1998, and it currently has 391,704 registered members, so the owner must be doing something right. But if it's not for you, no one is forcing you to be here.

You don't have to pay to post pictures, you just need to use a photo hosting site. And if a person finds that too difficult, or too much trouble, then perhaps posting pictures isn't for them.

As far as paid memberships, those help pay for this site. Keeping a website/forum going costs money, and the bigger it is (bandwidth) the more money it costs to operate, and this is a very large forum. Perhaps the other forums you are familiar with are a lot smaller, and a lot less expensive to operate.

And no one is "begging" for you to buy a subscription. Again, if you don't like it here, you don't need to participate. You can just leave and never return. No one will even notice.

It's a good weeder.

If it helps, I’m a cheapskate at heart, but I find the 30 clams a year for the gold membership to be totally worth it. I’ve learned more about blades, steels, handle materials, and knives in general than I ever thought there was to know. I’ve been introduced to some awesome knifemakers and craftsmen that I never would have otherwise, and bought a number of blades from one in particular and other members from the exchange. And of course, there’s image posting. I do belong to a number of other free forums, but for some reason when I first joined this one, it seemed quite reasonable. It’s a great community. Totally worth it.

Danny Linguini Danny Linguini is this Danny Linguini from the War Robots forum? It's Joopiter one of the moderators from there. Sorry if it this isn't you bro, but if it is... damn small world.
As a matter of fact it is. I had to go somewhere to let out all the cussing those damn games make me do that the WR forum doesn’t allow. 🤣

Oh, and welcome to this different brand of insanity. 😁

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
How do you post pictures

How do you post pictures

Welcome to Bladeforums Davinia69.

There are two ways to post pictures-

One is to use a photo hosting site like Imgur.com (it's free, and many here use it, including myself). To use Imgur, you just sign up on their website, then you upload pictures from your computer into your Imgur photo album, then when you click on a picture in your Imgur album you will be given a variety of codes assigned to that picture. What I do next is write down the BBCode on a piece of paper exactly as it appears in the BBCode box, including all punctuation marks, capital and lower case letters, and numbers, then I type the code into my post here on the forum, and my picture appears. That's how I do it.

The other way is to purchase a paid membership that allows you to post pictures directly from your computer by clicking on the "insert image" icon in the top of the post box, between the chain link and the smiley face. To read more about paid memberships click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the blue banner across the top of the screen. There are several other benefits of a paid membership depending on the level of membership one purchases.

As a matter of fact it is. I had to go somewhere to let out all the cussing those damn games make me do that the WR forum doesn’t allow. 🤣

Oh, and welcome to this different brand of insanity. 😁

Wow... that's pretty crazy.

Yeah I haven't played WR in over a year, but I get a kick out of some of the characters on that forum. Pretty entertaining to pop in and see the latest goofy topics or the current pixonic scam they're pullin on players.

Anyways, good to see a familiar face, take care man.

Wow... that's pretty crazy.

Yeah I haven't played WR in over a year, but I get a kick out of some of the characters on that forum. Pretty entertaining to pop in and see the latest goofy topics or the current pixonic scam they're pullin on players.

Anyways, good to see a familiar face, take care man.
I haven’t played WR in years, but I did switch to Mech Arena. I quit that for awhile when they started down the Pixonic road; but they weren’t quite as obnoxious about it as WR, so I started it back up again a few weeks ago. Like every other game, they could care less about keeping it fair - they just want all your money.

I have to say that so far the community here has been good. Ive read some bad press about this forum so I was a bit skeptical, thats part of the reason for my confrontational message (also to see what the reactions would be like). It is true that other Forums im on are far smaller in scale, so I can kinda see reserving on-site image hosting for paying members due to data reasons. I still think that $30 is steep just for full forum access. I usually wait until a hundred messages or so before I make any donations to a forum, but well see. Thanks for being patient.

I have to say that so far the community here has been good. Ive read some bad press about this forum so I was a bit skeptical, thats part of the reason for my confrontational message (also to see what the reactions would be like). It is true that other Forums im on are far smaller in scale, so I can kinda see reserving on-site image hosting for paying members due to data reasons. I still think that $30 is steep just for full forum access. I usually wait until a hundred messages or so before I make any donations to a forum, but well see. Thanks for being patient.

I'm glad that you're having a positive experience here. This forum has a lot to offer, even for free.

For the first 19 years I was here I did not have a paid membership, I simply didn't need any of the benefits that come with a paid membership. And no one ever tried to pressure me to purchase a membership or give me any grief over it. The Mods and owner don't tolerate any such behavior. People are free to enjoy this forum without having to pay anything and without being hassled for it. I only purchased a membership last year when I decided to start selling knives on this forum.

I don't agree with everything there is about this forum. In fact, there are some things I strongly disagree with. So much so that there have been times when I considered leaving. But I have always recognized that this forum is someone elses property, and that he has the right to run it however he wants, and make whatever rules he wants, and that if I don't like it I don't have to come here.

I hope you continue to find value here, whether you purchase a membership or not. There are a lot of good people here, and lots of good knife stuff :) .

Last edited:
Hi there everyone - new member here. I've been lurking for years, ogling pictures and learning a ton. I decided I should actually get an avatar and participate at some point, and this is the first step! I don't have anything to say yet, but I do have 31 knives, one always in my pocket, and I think about them a lot. Ok. Nice to be here. Thanks ✌️

Hi there everyone - new member here. I've been lurking for years, ogling pictures and learning a ton. I decided I should actually get an avatar and participate at some point, and this is the first step! I don't have anything to say yet, but I do have 31 knives, one always in my pocket, and I think about them a lot. Ok. Nice to be here. Thanks ✌️

Welcome aboard! 😉

Back