What binoculars do you have/use?

hhmoore

Gold Member
I did a search, and most of threads on binoculars were wanting recommendations for cheap ones. With the money I see being dropped on knives (and flashlights), I figure some of you have stepped beyond sub-$50 optics.
I've got a specific reason for asking, which I'll reveal if this thread gets any activity; but, what binoculars do you have/use...and are you content with them; or do you find yourself tempted to upgrade?

Last edited:
My most used optics include a Zeiss 10X25 monocular which rides in a Lizard Skins McGuyver Tool holder which attaches to my left suspender and goes everywhere with me. The Leitz 10X40 Trinovid binoculars are useful for many applications because they light and small. The tool holder is supposed to attach a multi tool to a bicycle frame.34FE1F7E-C10D-4861-AB49-3BC98AA4F27C.jpeg

With Zeiss and Leica, I'm guessing you aren't plagued with thoughts of upgrading...

Therein lies my problem.
When I decided I wanted binoculars, I made a point of recognizing that I did not want to end up with a  collection of them; and I hoped to avoid upgrading syndrome. After assessing my usage and "demands", I chose a 10x42. A short time later, I decided I wanted something more compact, and felt something in the 30/32mm objective range would be more satisfactory to me than a 25/28mm objective. After much reading and watching, I chose the Hawke Frontier ED X in 10x32. I feel I made a solid choice that fully meets my needs, and there isn't anything that I don't like about them...but I keep finding myself wanting to go one more step up. I don't need alpha glass, and I'm not worried about falling into that chase (okay, I'll admit to being curious about how awesome they really are; but my needs are simple, and I won't even try to justify that expense). I'm eyeing the Kowa Genesis 10x33 since they're on sale...probably the only thing that has stopped me is the additional size and weight.
TLDR:. I've got a perfectly good pair of 10x32 binoculars, but can't shake the desire to upgrade to a more expensive pair.

Last edited:
I like Steiner optics. I have a set of roof prism 8x42 Rangers which I use for hunting. These are great, superb light transmission and fairly compact for their magnification. They have a central focus knob which I usually set at about 50-100m depending on the terrain I'm in.
I also have a set of Steiner 7x50R porro prism binoculars (look like the M22 binoculars). They're bigger and bulkier, but have the mil reticle and also have no focus knob - they just require the ocular lenses to be set up once for your eyes. These are superb, but again, bulky.
I find 8x and 7x provide the best utility, going to 10x seems to exaggerate 'wobble'.

Last edited:
Some years ago my ‘72 Bushnell Featherlites gave up. These 7 x 35 work for us in the marine world (fresh water)
We aren’t typically hard on gear though. Cheap but functional.
115E3DBB-5BA7-44E9-8DE6-8E573566583E.jpeg

going to 10x seems to exaggerate 'wobble'.
True enough; but I prefer the image with 10x (including the smaller FoV) in most situations.
About the only thing I prefer about 8x is the improved DoF.
I think if I was spending longer periods behind the glass I might appreciate lower magnifications more.

I have two pairs of Zeiss - a full-sized Terra ED in 8x42 and a compact Pocket in 8x25. I have owned Vipers, Nikon, and other Zeiss. I wear glasses, so a bino is a little more finicky choice than it may be for most people because of eye relief. IMO, binos fall in that category where there's a certain dollar threshhold below which you just can't get a quality product. Very happy with both pairs, and they are generally used for nature watching and birding.

For my money an 8x42 is the best all-around magnification; if I hunted out west with biiiiiig open spaces, I might want a 10x42.

To really get good binoc recommendations you need to search the net for websites that cater to birdwatchers.
I did some research years ago and ended up buying a pair of Pentax roof prism 8x3_, then later I bought a pair of Pentax roof prism 12x50. The 8x3_ might be 8x36, I can't remember but somewhere in that ballpark. Those I bought new. The 12x50 I bought used on ebay for a good price. My office was on the 12th floor of an office building overlooking a big freeway so I kept them at work to look out the window. I could look down on the sidewalk in front of our building and see bugs crawling around.
There are lots of good brands to choose from, in any given price range there are probably some brands better than others, but in the next price range it might reverse so you don't have to overthink it too much. Set your price range, pick your style (roof vs. porro), magnification and lens diameter, and see what the birders recommend at the time.
I want to say that to get good roof prism you have to go over $300, and over $200 for good porro prism but I might be behind the times. And good is a relative term depending on what you want. You can certainly spend a whole lot more and get even better.
A few companies make stabilized binoculars. I always wondered if those would be better for the casual user but I never tried them.

Took this for another older thread. All I ever need.

i-cSZB8SQ-X3.jpg

Traded these against a lens once :)

That being said, many binoculars don't work for me due to Pupillary distance.

With Zeiss and Leica, I'm guessing you aren't plagued with thoughts of upgrading...

Therein lies my problem.
When I decided I wanted binoculars, I made a point of recognizing that I did not want to end up with a  collection of them; and I hoped to avoid upgrading syndrome. After assessing my usage and "demands", I chose a 10x42. A short time later, I decided I wanted something more compact, and felt something in the 30/32mm objective range would be more satisfactory to me than a 25/28mm objective. After much reading and watching, I chose the Hawke Frontier ED X in 10x32. I feel I made a solid choice that fully meets my needs, and there isn't anything that I don't like about them...but I keep finding myself wanting to go one more step up. I don't need alpha glass, and I'm not worried about falling into that chase (okay, I'll admit to being curious about how awesome they really are; but my needs are simple, and I won't even try to justify that expense). I'm eyeing the Kowa Genesis 10x33 since they're on sale...probably the only thing that has stopped me is the additional size and weight.
TLDR:. I've got a perfectly good pair of 10x32 binoculars, but can't shake the desire to upgrade to a more expensive pair.
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

I've got a pair of Nikon monarch 8×36's that I really like. They aren't super high end, but they're pretty good.
Nikon Monarchs are very nice - I got a 8x42 pair for my wife after lots of research and they have a distinctly better image than the other two pictured below. I think they were just under $400.

She wears glasses but the Monarchs have a large eye box which lets them work great with glasses.

They also focus very close (you can focus on nearby objects) which is a nice touch.
770FB32C-9C97-4A62-9907-351E8E56A496.jpeg

Last edited:
First, you get to diminishing returns with bins just like knives when you get to the upper extreme of price points. There they tend to be optimized for specific functions and usage.

I have Leica NV (Noctovid), a couple Zeiss bins and I'm looking for an HT 8x32 and 10x54, GPO are excellent values for a premium bins near an Alpha bin experience at a more modest price (my demo's were only $400), and then there is Steiner.

I find Steiner "big" bins are the best for use with eyeglasses. I have the classic "tank commander" versions in 7X50 and 8x56. The little 8x30 versions are super handy. The thing that makes them so good for eyeglasses is the infinite focus and reasonable eye relief. They are also tough as hell so, good for rougher usage.

Kowa Promar are good but, similar quality is available in GPO and costs less.

I have some Minox bins no longer made that are the full equal of Alpha bins from Zeiss, Leica and, Swarovski.

For what it is worth, the "flat field" bins, Zeiss SF, Swarovski NL Pure, and Leica NV can be a love it or hate it thing. The "flat field" optics have a huge Field of View but, the bowling ball effect bothers some people. I like the softer transition to the edge of traditional bins but, the flat field is nice for birds in flight or any movement on the ground like deer or sheep on a mountain.

I'm not going to drop $3K+ for these new flat field bins because I can get a really wide field of view with a softer edge which I like just as well or a bit better depending on the day for under $2K in a gently used pair of bins. Swarovski to me are a bit more expensive and there are so many variations in optical coatings and features, I have avoided them. I seem to always find better quality at a lower price with Zeiss and every once and a while Leica. Leica are demanding of eye position so, use with eyeglasses is more difficult to learn but is certainly do-able.

For sheer value, I used to think Zeiss Terra HD was where it was at but, today GPO is where I would spend my money on a ~$400 set of bins. That's not to say Kowa and similar brands are bad but, optical performance and construction of the GPO series is simply better at the same price point.

Steiner is in a category all its own if you are talking about the classic Military bins. The 8x30, 7x50, and 8x56 are super hard use bins and have excellent performance in early dawn and fading dusk light. The also have good resolution at night. These are what I generally take in my SxS UTV or my tractor.

Speaking of night, a good set of bins will let you see stuff at night you cannot see with the naked eye. If you are young, you want a 7mm exit pupil but, most older folks are physically limited to a 5mm or 6mm pupil dilation so, get lighter binoculars if your eye cannot use the larger exit pupil. A 7x42 will be easier to hold and weigh less than a 7x50 for example.

Then there are specialty bins like my 6x30 Kowa Promars which are great for close up use and have a wide field of view for nearby tree limbs. Think Butterflies, Bees, and Hummingbirds!

GPO bins from the Cameraland NY demo list are great values in my experience for bins that look and feel new with only the slightest hint someone looked through them.

The only Alpha bin I want that I have not owned or used is the Zeiss HT. If someone has one, I can make a good trade on some gently used Leica NV bins!

Last edited:
S Sid Post I'm surprised, from everything I've read about both, that you are saying the GPO is comparable to the Kowa...assuming (by the price) that you are referencing the GPO Passion ED and Kowa Genesis Prominar XD. I considered the GPO Passion (from Cameraland, even) but it didn't happen. Since that time, I've compared my Hawke Frontier EDX to a few others (inc Leupold BX-4 & Maven B.3) and preferred it in each case.

I almost broke down and bought the Kowa from Cameraland; but I found them elsewhere at a much better price - of course, the next day I was notified they were out of stock, and (later) that they're on backorder (can you say Bait and Switch, boys and girls?) so it might not happen. I won't shed any tears, as I really am quite happy with the Hawke...but I was looking forward to trying the Kowa Genesis.

S Sid Post that you are referencing the GPO Passion ED and Kowa Genesis Prominar XD.

Yep, those GPO Passion ED's were $370 at my door and compared favorably with more expensive bins with my eyes where I live. Some of this is subjective due to facial differences and things like the eyebox position and eye relief.

What is best for me MAY NOT BE best for someone else. However, I think the GPO brands is overlooked by too many people and provides as good or better glass for most people at a lower price point.

For $400, you have a hard time finding better bins without reading specs on a third party website which means what to most in the actual field looking at what they are interested in. I am also much more apt to have a pair of $400 bins in my car, pickup, backpack when I want some than my $2K bins at home locked up in a safe. Sure, if I'm going birding or something, I'll take my 'best' bins but, how much better are they overall? Enough to warrant the extra expense, weight, care, worry, etc?

In the end, with Kowa and GPO, along with Steiner and Zeiss Terra you have a lot of good options to pick from that will serve most people well. YMMV though.

I have Steiners marine and Vortex diamondback. I prefer the Vortex but can’t really complain either way. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase the vortex again and they have a fantastic warranty.

Back