What binoculars do you have/use?

The Kowa Genesis made it as far as my front door today; but they went away again because nobody was here to sign for them. Not sure if I'll be back in time to grab them tomorrow; so it might be Monday

FWIW, I’ve traveled down the rabbit hole and here is where I have settled: I sold the Vortex Diamondbacks, I’ve kept the Nikon Monarchs for family viewing around the backyard, and the Zeiss Terra ED stay in my pack. Dollar for dollar, the Zeiss optics are fantastic for the price. YMMV…

I'm torn...
The Kowa 10x33 have been here for a week and a half. I like them. A lot. The eyecups are better than those on my Hawke Frontier ED X... but, at the same time, they like a slightly different placement than my other binocs. It's not that they require specific positioning; but I'm used to setting the eyecups against my brow & these do better set closer to flush.

Sometimes I think the image is clearly better; sometimes the difference is barely discernible. I do like the grip on the Hawke better - two fingers curled around the objective tube, whereas the Kowa only allows one. The Kowa isn't uncomfortable or awkward; but the Hawke feels more secure.
The Hawke is more compact, which I appreciate...but it isn't a huge deal since my 10x42s are on the larger size; so I'm used to that.
On the petty side - I like the color of the Hawke better
I don't want to return the Kowa; but I still really like the Hawke...and I don't need two in this size. First world problems 🤨

I prefer a set of 8x42 for most hunting situations. I like the field of view and they make it easy to pick up the game. The exception would be extreme long range glassing for antelope or big bear/moose at very long ranges. And I much prefer a spotting scope for those occasions.

I have a set of Leupold and a set of Burris both are 8x42 and they perform quite similar. Both have good glass (not Swavorski or Kahles quality, but what is?) The Leupold has a slight advantage in low light, they do transfer slightly more light in those situations. The Burris I think were around $235.00 and the Leuplod around $425.00. Not sure what the current prices on either would be these days.

I started with 7 X 42 Brunton's --lots of hard use, they are now my kitchen window binos.

Then I bought a Ziess Jenna EDF 7 X 40--solid bomb proof quality heavy has reticle yellow tint glass individual eye piece focus--I use them for hunting--poor fast acquisition--good for fixed glassing of areas---not good for birding.

Next up were Optolyth 8 X 40 High quality german made now difficult to get in the USA--they have traveled all over the place with me--daily use--trips--birding--

Finally I was going to be traveling to Europe in 2019 and wanted a small more travel friendly bino. I sprung for some Steiner T824 8X24. Fine glass quality binos. I was concerned that the online photos of the bino's had the word tactical plastered on the them and traveling I didn't want any pseudo macho militaria labels on my gear. The received bino simply have a T824 label on them.

My spouse has a pair of 30year old Bausch & Lomb--best small binos I have ever used--heavy by todays standards but glass is very high quality.

Oh yea, almost forgot I have a micro pair of bino's in console of the vehicle--got them via a trade box--no idea who made them china cheepies they do function. Don't remember the magnification off hand. Used them on one wilderness trip when I forgot my Optolyth's at home----they functioned.

My MIL has the top of the line Zeiss to I do have experience with them.

Observations:: Buy the absolute best glass you can afford.

At the time I bought the Brunton they were the best I could afford and I have no regrets buying them-they traveled long and hard with me. Perhaps I could have skipped the Zeiss-Jenna EDF's and Optolyth and went straight for the Zeiss or complimentary high end bino. Both the former are what I might call mid range price wise. I could have saved for another 6 months or so and gotten the Zeiss at double or more of the cost of the others at the time. I would have eventually looked for a smaller pair similar to the Steiner's however. The smaller quality pair for quick grab and go travel and the like is part of my gear package.

If you go for Steiner's make sure they are made in Germany. Heck I might say that for all of them. Just check for quality manufacturing--quality glass.

People preference differ but I agree and 8 X or a 7 X is the way to go. The 8 X 24 is the smallest that I would go.

Stick with the known brands. Zeiss, Steiner, Leica, Swarovski, and I'd still buy Optolyth if available.

Not every bino will work in every situation. You might want at minimum two pair.

Don't forget Spotting Scopes. MIL has loaned out hers to us more or less permanently. It doesn't get used a lot but when it does, WOW!

This ocular view rabbit hole can be a whole lotta fun, get a little bit expensive, but reap the rewards of far off vision, crisp visual identification, and sights formerly unseen.

My most used pair is a Leupold Bx-3 10-42. I also use and love a set of vortex viper RT 8x28's. And I also love my monarch 7's in 8x40. My only 3 pair I seem to need. Is there better glass out there absolutely but not worth it enough to justify the cost.

There are two competing forces, weight and power.

For the everyday carry (ok, not edc, but usual binoc use), I've had Vanguard Endevour something or other in 8x42. I have a generation or two old, but they are great.I'm sure Leica's would be nicer, but if I drop them or bang them on the rocks, I don't feel too bad. New ones are $325 for ED and $275 for the ones I have.

For Power, Cannon Image Stabilizing are fantastic They are heavy, but for 15x50 or 18x50, the battery powered image stabilizer is priceless. (Ok, its over a grand)

If you are going to use them, a harness helps. It keeps them out of the way when you aren't using them, but strapped to your body.

Just find a local birding club that has group outings. The optics you will see will be astounding.

Last edited:
I could make a really long post on this but, instead, I’ll just give you what I actually use and a more expensive model that I still consider - and why I stick with what I have. I’ll preface this by saying that I am a professional (that means I make my living) hunter, outfitter and guide. I manage Texas’ largest bowhunting operation and have since 2009. I’ve been guiding hunters since 1986 and I’m still at it. I also work and compete I buy what works best for ME.

That said, I’ve been using the Sig Sauer Kilo 3000BDX 10x42 binos. They incorporate Sig’s renowned range finder that’s able to connect wirelessly to my Kestrel weather station AND has Applied Ballistics’ software internally. Optically, Sig’s glass has an ever-so slightly blue tint that’s hardly noticeable (to me) and the quality is only about 97% as good as what Swarovski offers - at a MUCH higher price. Yes, I prefer the glass Swarovski offers but the slight optical improvement isn’t worth it to me considering the electronic features that the Sig binos offer me. It’s not a matter of money (I own/use Swarovski spotting scopes) but I find the Sig binoculars to be a more useful piece of kit.

I would never NOT recommend a Swaro product BUT for my personal and professional use, I still prefer my Sig Kilo 3000BDX binos - $1,200. To many people even this price will seem outrageous. However the range finder (available separately) is around $700. Put that into a VERY good bino and $1200 is a damn good deal.

Hope this helps someone.

Nikon Monarch M7; 10 x 42
I did a lot of research prior to buying these.
Read a lot of specs and reviews.
It was a toss-up between these and the Vortex Vipers.
The Nikons edged out the Vortex's in a few reviews so I went with them.
And wouldn't you know it, Amazon dropped the price about $150 since I purchased them in Sept.
I use them mainly laying on my back at night looking up at the sky and looking at nature.
They're really nice; very bright, distortion free right to the edges of the image, great field of view and depth of field,
and are beautifully made and armored.

I have a 7x35 bushnell for hiking and a 8x56 celestron for stargazing, inexpensive (especially the bushnell) and good enough. A while back I was looking to upgrade to one good pair that could do it all but I found that I'd still have to get two binoculars. My short list was two Japanese made porro binoculars, an 8x30 by nikon and 10x50 by fujireon. Even after narrowing it down to those two they still had drawbacks that gave me pause including the fact that one is only available in the asian market necessitating a third party like ebay to make the purchase and forgoing any warranty support as well. In the end I never upgraded but all the research I did showed me that finding exactly what you want in one package means compromises have to be made.

Back