What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

"Dark Angel," by John Sandford. Lucas Davenport's stepdaughter Letty busts skulls and takes prisoners. Great fun, but an overly complicated plot.

Also, just about to start "American Prometheus," a biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Lee Child is always worth reading and rereading, as I am still doing.

Secretaries.jpg
Adam Nicholson, God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible, HarperCollins Publishers, 2005, ISBN-13 : 978-0060838737

Bestsellers are cheap and if your public library doesn't have this, you can buy a readable used copy online for $5 or $6 shipped.

Richard Bancroft, Archbishop of Canterbury, was what we call Editor-in-Chief; Thomas Bilson, Bishop of Winchester, and Miles Smith, Bishop of Gloucester, were translators and what we call Managing Editors. Bilson wrote the epistle dedicatory from the Translators to King James, which is included in many modern editions. It is worth reading if you are studying the literature and history of the period. Bilson was the most skilled of all the translators in dealing with King James. Miles Smith wrote "The Translators to the Reader," which is included in few modern editions. You should read it if you read Nicolson's book, because its subject is the same: who the translators were, their method, and why they undertook yet another revision of William Tyndale's English Bible. If Smith's epistle is not in your Bible, you can find it many places on the internet: run a Google search on "king james bible translators to the reader"

In his time, Bishop Smith was best known for walking out on a sermon which bored him and going to a pub for a few beers.

Not all the translators were bishops and one was not ordained. Sir Henry Savile was an intellectual retired pirate and Warden of Merton College, Oxford.

Last edited:
Blink was a fine, easy to read book that explains some very well known concepts and reactions we have all the time. I just found some parts a little disconnected but it may very well be just me not paying enough atention :)
Malcolm Gladwell is like a used-car salesman who will shine up a Ford Pinto and tell you it's Mustang.

"Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman is a vastly superior book, although the material in it about priming should be taken with a grain of salt.

Next on the list, which is not a new title: The Selfish Gene.
"The Selfish Gene" is the most important book on biology since Darwin.

My daughter wrote a book, "Of Twisted Thorns" ~ CE Young ~
so, I am reading through that now, it's her first and I think it certainly was a learning experience, the next will be even better, but this one isn't bad, but some typos here and there and at the start it does read like a familiar fairy tale, but it's her own, so of course dad had to get both the kindle and a hard copy for my wife ;)

G2

It took me a while to go through "The Selfish Gene" and it is a fascinating book that has sparked an interest on the other books of the author and I will be adding some to my never-ending "to read" list,
Now, on to the next on the list: "Originals" by Adam Grant.

Another problem associated with Talonite, and I remember very well this part, is that it its a real belt eater.

"Dark Angel," by John Sandford. Lucas Davenport's stepdaughter Letty busts skulls and takes prisoners. Great fun, but an overly complicated plot.

Also, just about to start "American Prometheus," a biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Just finished "Dark Angel", fun read but I think I like Davenport and Flowers books better.

I was at the Library today and they had a lot of free paperbacks, I found 7 Lee Child /Jack Reacher books. Woooot !
I've read them before but I don't mind reading them again, as it's been years since I've I read some of them.
I also borrowed 4 books, I'll let ya,ll know if there are any to recommend.

I'm only a few chapters into to this new author and book, so far I am a fan !
IMG_20230706_142915966.jpgIMG_20230706_142935890.jpg

I finishing "Rework" by Jason Fried and David H. Hansson. Pretty interesting counterintuitive professional concepts. It sure gave me some food for thought.

Back